• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 70?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cawky22

come on guys give the Genesis a chance. yes may look ugly but may sound beastly. think about the horn it may have. iv heard rumours it could have near the same horn as the usa genesis amtrak horn. if so do not ask for a tone or you may need a hearing aid haha.
FX

You can hear its horn on the new vid here:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czF7n0umETo
filmed on wednesday 19 th of August

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Daimler

Established Member
Hmm. That's fairly awful. Every bit as ugly, in fact, as before it was painted! In fact - let me go and check - yes, the 66s look positively stylish in comparison!

Oh well, at least it doesn't 'ying' like the they do.

And what's with that stupid grey 'swoosh' down the side?

fgwrich

Established Member
Hmm. That's fairly awful. Every bit as ugly, in fact, as before it was painted! In fact - let me go and check - yes, the 66s look positively stylish in comparison!

Oh well, at least it doesn't 'ying' like the they do.

And what's with that stupid grey 'swoosh' down the side?

Agreed...Thats HIDEOUS!... Still reminds me of a thread that came up on one of the forums...FUGLY...And you can guess what that stands for...

You know i think it actually looked better unpainted than painted...And why those stupidly painted buffers with upper buffers as used on modern units nowadays...Its a freight loco- so there not going to have anything that high up go bang into it!

Funny how this finnaly makes the 66 look like the HST of freight locos...

And as for the grey swoosh...whatever possed Frightliner to do that i dont know...Guess there designers are on a long holiday...

rich

starrymarkb

Established Member
The High buffers are for crashworthiness. New UIC rules to protect the driver from frontal impacts* Most builders hide them under streamlined fairings (see Class 380, Desiro City, Electrostar 2, DB S-bahn class 422, Siemens Taurus mk2 and Bombardier TRAXX) - its why most new designs stock have pointy noses

*from obstructions, ie the EMT 158 that hit the bridge.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
head on (like 70005 on the right) it doesn't look too bad.

On 3/4 shot, like 70006- *boik*

Even if it for crash-worthiness, why couldn't they have faired it? Would be easy to make it look much better with a glass fibre cowl surely? In fact, i bet if they had given it a small nose/bonnet fairing, then many here would be in instant love with it...

starrymarkb

Established Member
That was the point I was making - other companies integrate it into the design - with most you don't know its there - GE have just stuck it on the front as an afterwards

Pumbaa

Established Member
I'm sorry - that looks truly hideous. Come back 67s... All is forgiven! Seriously though, it just doesn't look right... At all. Nada.

MCR247

Established Member
I must agree! Its horrible. when the page loaded I was shocked

fgwrich

Established Member
Congratulations Frightliner, Youve got the most hated loco ever to run on UK Rails...Now lets see what happens with Frightliners traffic, and see which services these get put on...

Please Dont be through Basingstoke Though!!!

ukrob

Established Member
Congratulations Frightliner, Youve got the most hated loco ever to run on UK Rails...Now lets see what happens with Frightliners traffic, and see which services these get put on...

Please Dont be through Basingstoke Though!!!

I hardly think they care what some enthusiasts think on a forum on the Internet ;)

Dave R

looks ugly but i think it'll grow on me, am i right in saying only 30 are to be made and shouldn't dominate freightliner workings, will stand corrected though

Electrostar

I like them. Freight locos aren't meant to be pretty. They're there to do some hard graft. My only objection is extending the grey swoop to the cab.

Royston Vasey

Established Member
Interesting that the only comments on the photo that havent been deleted are the positive ones. Earlier there was a guy saying how hard it would be for operational staff to access th couplings etc., and someone saying how ugly it was!

Daimler

Established Member
I like them. Freight locos aren't meant to be pretty. They're there to do some hard graft. My only objection is extending the grey swoop to the cab.

That doesn't mean that design should be ignored or - seemingly as on these - should be deliberately poor.

starrymarkb

Established Member
as said on another forum.

We could have sympathy if we knew what was behind those warts. ie "This box is a compressor" or something like that.

The one bit they have styled is the Cab Aircon grill, and that looks like a Ford Edsel! The Hidious Noge Titanium coach comes to mind!

Daimler

Established Member

We could have sympathy if we knew what was behind those warts. ie "This box is a compressor" or something like that.

The one bit they have styled is the Cab Aircon grill, and that looks like a Ford Edsel! The Hidious Noge Titanium coach comes to mind!

That's quite a point, actually! <shudders>

fgwrich

Established Member

God knows why the designed that like that...it looks like a half melted cheese grator!

Oh well...thatll be all very nice when a pigeon hit the front! Obviously GM didnt think of that one either...

And ive got to say, i actually thought the 60's were ugly...This is far far far worse...At least the 92's had abit more style...

Oswyntail

Established Member
What do we want from a freight loco? IMHO, the 56/60/92 family was OK, but the 58/59/66 "style" makes no attempt to reflect anything other than a box on wheels. At least this design bristles with brute force. Come on! I know there are others out there who like it!

BlythPower

Right, you heard it hear first! The nickname for these beauties will be "Plugs". They're plug ugly and that triangle of headlight/horn enclosure plus the two marker light clusters make them look just like a three pin plug. Freaky. Not in a good way.

Status
Not open for further replies.