• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 701 'Aventra' trains for South Western Railway

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bigfoot

What’s the difference to a freight operator travelling PASS on an train where they travel in the saloon?

Or GWR staff travelling PASS on Cross Country. They're not allowed in the cab.
When travelling pass, or at anytime staff travelling free or on a reduced price ticket are expected to stand if full fair paying passengers require a seat. It would also be logical that if the service is very busy fair paying passengers should board first, then staff afterwards. They make the rules so they must be followed. :lol:

spark001uk

Established Member
47749 returning to Derby this afternoon, towing u.701043.
I thought the more recent units were already modded??

Last edited:

swt_passenger

Veteran Member

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
For the first time since Jan 21 Rock Rail South Western plc (the entity leasing trains to SWR) has raised charges (allows their financiers to take the units if they don't pay the interest and capital on the loan) for the following units

This ought to be an indicator that their customer [SWR] now have some confidence in the trains as they [RRSW] now own them outright and maybe it presages potential progress to the next stage towards service introduction but equally it could just be a contractual requirement between Alstom and Rock Rail.

Snow1964

Established Member
For the first time since Jan 21 Rock Rail South Western plc (the entity leasing trains to SWR) has raised charges (allows their financiers to take the units if they don't pay the interest and capital on the loan) for the following units

This ought to be an indicator that their customer [SWR] now have some confidence in the trains as they [RRSW] now own them outright and maybe it presages potential progress to the next stage towards service introduction but equally it could just be a contractual requirement between Alstom and Rock Rail.

Quite a random (has lots of gaps) list, not clear to me why they have apparently been completed and transferred and others haven’t.

Are these the less badly built ones, or are they just being finished off in a non sequential way.

Goldfish62

Established Member
Quite a random (has lots of gaps) list, not clear to me why they have apparently been completed and transferred and others haven’t.

Are these the less badly built ones, or are they just being finished off in a non sequential way.
Or ones that have achieved fault-free running?

spark001uk

Established Member
Hasn't Alstom (when Bombardier) used it for refurbs in the past? So could be undertaking work there rather than Derby as it should be closer (thus cheaper movement wise)
Ah yes good point, I'd forgotten about the Alstom place there.

Mikey C

Established Member
On a rare SWR 455 journey today, very unpleasant in the heat, and will be intolerable for anyone having to travel on Monday and Tuesday

Bigfoot

On a rare SWR 455 journey today, very unpleasant in the heat, and will be intolerable for anyone having to travel on Monday and Tuesday
Think of the staff who are working all day in them. It is horrendous. The driver gets "comfort cooling" which might take the edge of the high 20s but doesn't do much above 30. The guard gets nothing at all...

spark001uk

Established Member
Think of the staff who are working all day in them. It is horrendous. The driver gets "comfort cooling" which might take the edge of the high 20s but doesn't do much above 30. The guard gets nothing at all...
It's crazy, by law I believe there is a minimum temperature beyond which workers can't be forced to work, but as far as I know there's no upper limit. That's what a previous employer told me anyway.

Class360/1

How is fault free running going - are the units slowly completing the required mileage for service?

It's crazy, by law I believe there is a minimum temperature beyond which workers can't be forced to work, but as far as I know there's no upper limit. That's what a previous employer told me anyway.
You are correct.

AM9

Veteran Member
I think that the current legislation has a minimum working temperature of 16 deg C (60.8 F) withing 1 hour of work commencement. This was established at least as far back as 1961 in the Factories act and the Offices Shops and Railway premises act in 1963. There are far worse workplaces than on a train without air conditioning, e.g. restaurant kitchens, but there are no maximum working temperatures although employers are consider the suitability of the conditions for the specific role.

Lewlew

Have all 701s been built?

(Sorry if it’s a frequently asked question, I’ve not been keeping up)