• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 701 'Aventra' trains for South Western Railway

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Agent_Squash

Established Member
Well you'd hope, but there can't be a lot of space in there for if you've lots of train crew as PASS at the same time (which believe it or not does seem to happen)

You wonder how other commuter TOCs manage... the event is hardly a common one and it's not been seen on other TOCs without a guard's office.

Established Member
Depends how many staff are booked to pass on that service. If it's more than 2 you've got a problem
A problem for Train Planning.

During the pandemic, at my TOC they changed diagrams to ensure everyone booked pass had a back or middle cab to themselves. I see no reason why the same can't happen on services known to be busy on another TOC.

It really does sound like these trains have many issues that do need fixing, but I am not sure this one is a genuine issue.

theageofthetra

On Moderation
As someone who now signs the 707's I'm curious as to why ASLEF are so particular over the specs for these 701 units when there are several design features of the 707 cabs which are just stupid or in the case of the cab steps just plain dangerous.

Different acceptance team?

Bigfoot

As someone who now signs the 707's I'm curious as to why ASLEF are so particular over the specs for these 701 units when there are several design features of the 707 cabs which are just stupid or in the case of the cab steps just plain dangerous.

The cabs were accepted because they were not for DOO use, and the cab is a standard design widely used. Plus aslef and stagecoach got on better and it was stagecoach that ordered the units.

As far as I know, it's the same players from the projects team and the driver's council pretty much for 707 and 701.

I am not a fan of climbing up and down into the cab when there are side pits and to be honest I hate the 458 more than the 707 to get in and out of.

Occtraveller

So why did ASLEF accept this?

If nothing else isn't it discriminatory against female drivers, who generally will be shorter?
Was the union consulted on 458/5's new cabs, or was the change considered small enough that the original cab desks/layout would be preserved? If you're going back to the original entry into service of the 458/0, that was in 1998. A different time.

Bigfoot

Was the union consulted on 458/5's new cabs, or was the change considered small enough that the original cab desks/layout would be preserved? If you're going back to the original entry into service of the 458/0, that was in 1998. A different time.
The external steps didn't change with the new cab. The steps on a 455 are awful too. Have slipped in the wet many a time on the rounded bars. Why were they accepted? :lol:

Railengineer

The external steps didn't change with the new cab. The steps on a 455 are awful too. Have slipped in the wet many a time on the rounded bars. Why were they accepted? :lol:
The 455 steps were 'accepted' when they were built in the 1980's. Expectations have clearly changed since then.

Snow1964

Established Member
Have you changed your style of shoes, or tread pattern on shoes since they were accepted in 1980s If yes and it increased risk of slipping, it was your choice to make it more slippery.

Presumably your emoji was due to accepting trains came before your choice of footwear

Bigfoot

The 455 steps were 'accepted' when they were built in the 1980's. Expectations have clearly changed since then.
Have you changed your style of shoes, or tread pattern on shoes since they were accepted in 1980s If yes and it increased risk of slipping, it was your choice to make it more slippery.

Presumably your emoji was due to accepting trains came before your choice of footwear
This is exactly why comparisons between acceptance of old stock and new stock cannot be compared. "well it was fine in 1985" is not a valid argument for acceptance now. The sooner this is accepted by many complainants the better.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
I was told by management that it was her, but maybe they were wrong.
I mean they could have changed it. But half the world seems to think Emma Clarke is the voice on every tube, which she isn’t, so it’s very probably a mistake.

Invincible

Sadly Celia Drummond passed away, but SWR probably have enough recordings of her as "new Celia" left to use?

LU brought back the recording of 1960s actor Oswald Laurence for his widow

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Sadly Celia Drummond passed away, but SWR probably have enough recordings of her as "new Celia" left to use?
Many many YT videos show the testing of the 701s with the trains opening their doors at stations and New Celia can be heard clearly in the background. (Edit: Not sure what’s up with the size here, I can’t seem to change it)
LU brought back the recording of 1960s actor Oswald Laurence for his widow
Yes, and what a horrendous noise he makes at Embankment (Northern line northbound)

fgwrich

Established Member
Many many YT videos show the testing of the 701s with the trains opening their doors at stations and New Celia can be heard clearly in the background. (Edit: Not sure what’s up with the size here, I can’t seem to change it)

Yes, and what a horrendous noise he makes at Embankment (Northern line northbound)

Celia can certainly be heard here in this video.

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
And, as they point out, if a service is full and standing and it's not physically possible to board a train they're diagrammed as PASS on they may not be able to get to where their booked work starts in time no?

What’s the difference to a freight operator travelling PASS on an train where they travel in the saloon?