• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 701 'Aventra' trains for South Western Railway

WibbleWobble

5Q12 47727 701010
That 47 was towing also towing a 701 (which I was told was defective) through Poole yesterday lunchtime - possibly doing the reversing movement out of Bournemouth depot.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Invincible

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Thanks, looks like it, perhaps the 33 and 4tc actually went though about 1506?
I think that’s about right as the RTT times I checked are for Totton Station, so you can expect a couple of minutes between them at the video viewpoint.

Might you have missed it on RTT at first glance because it’s listed as Waterloo to Eastleigh, although running via Poole?

Invincible

I think that’s right RTT times I checked are Totton Station, so you can expect a couple of minutes between them. Might you have missed it at first glance because it’s listed as Waterloo to Eastleigh, although running via Poole?
Thanks, You don't know what unit number the 701 was, as it is not listed on RTT?

3973EXL

Established Member
That 47 was towing also towing a 701 (which I was told was defective) through Poole yesterday lunchtime - possibly doing the reversing movement out of Bournemouth depot.
47727 701041

Invincible

I also could not make out the number on the video.
Looking at the list, 5Q51 could have most likely been: 006 013 026 or 033?

Western Sunset

Established Member

Attachments

• P1460120 (2).JPG
    P1460120 (2).JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 120

Flange Squeal

Established Member
Thanks Flange Squeal. Was it definitely 047? I had 044 at Farnham. Can anyone confirm the unit number please?
It was definitely 047. Some units have been swapped around several times since Farnham started storing them, with 044 being one of the shorter term visitors for just a fortnight 6th-21st April.

wickham

Thank you for the confirmation regarding the status of storage of units at Feltham and Farnham. It does seem odd that units are being sent away to far flung places such as Long Marston and Worksop while Feltham sidings stand empty !! I suppose however, that there are still new units to be delivered and in time these will take up the vacated spare at Eastleigh, Feltham and Farnham. To confirm, units 701014/17/37 were in Clapham Yard yesterday (11/05), 014 was actually observed moving from one road to another at about 1045. A few minutes earlier 701028 was observed moving in Wimbledon depot, between the Top Yard and East Wimbledon Depot.

I do not think Feltham Depot stands empty at night. I am not 100% sure, but I think Feltham Depot has 10 roads and it looks like 9 of them are currently used overnight;

Flange Squeal

Established Member
I do not think Feltham Depot stands empty at night. I am not 100% sure, but I think Feltham Depot has 10 roads and it looks like 9 of them are currently used overnight;

You are spot on - Feltham does indeed have 10 roads.

Peter Sarf

Established Member

I vaguely recall in this thread it being mentioned that the 701s had to be moved away from the new/expanded sidings at Feltham because they sidings were needed for operational trains.

Last edited:

Goldfish62

Established Member
I vaguely recall in this thread it being mentioned that the 701s had to be moved away from the new/expanded sidings at Feltham because they were needed for operational trains.
Not expanded. The depot is completely new. It's built on the site of the enormous former marshalling yard.

Purple Train

Established Member
It was definitely 047. Some units have been swapped around several times since Farnham started storing them, with 044 being one of the shorter term visitors for just a fortnight 6th-21st April.
Thank you for the confirmation regarding the status of storage of units at Feltham and Farnham. It does seem odd that units are being sent away to far flung places such as Long Marston and Worksop while Feltham sidings stand empty !! I suppose however, that there are still new units to be delivered and in time these will take up the vacated spare at Eastleigh, Feltham and Farnham. To confirm, units 701014/17/37 were in Clapham Yard yesterday (11/05), 014 was actually observed moving from one road to another at about 1045. A few minutes earlier 701028 was observed moving in Wimbledon depot, between the Top Yard and East Wimbledon Depot.
How much are units moving about? (I noticed 047, 017, and 014 in Clapham Yard on April 22nd, hence why I ask.) Have they been moving around since then?
Also, with apologies for the stupid question - is anything actually going to be done with them? Or are they just going to sit and rust in the sidings?

Indeed there are currently 2 458s and 4 450s stabled there today

XCTurbostar

Established Member
Does anyone have any updates on the status of these units? Are reliability/software faults still the root cause of the lack of driver training?

3973EXL

Established Member
47727 701013
47727 701026

Last edited:

fgwrich

Established Member
Does anyone have any updates on the status of these units? Are reliability/software faults still the root cause of the lack of driver training?
Last I heard, the latest software update has knocked things back a step when things seemed to be turning the corner for Alstom and these beleaguered units. I don’t know what it is about Derby and Software, but it’s been described more than a few times as a cluster (+unmentionable word).

That said, the Railway Magazine now reckons December 2023 - so if that is the case… only 4 years late!

Speaking of the fleet, I see 701010 has moved to Long Marston. That was until recently being used as one of the test units, with various additional cables running along the body side and through various additional holes, so testing appears to have been concluded with that unit.

Elorith

That said, the Railway Magazine now reckons December 2023 - so if that is the case… only 4 years late!
If I was a betting man, I suspect that even that may be quite over-optimistic.

You have to wonder how large the consequences of them being sat in the sidings for so long are going to be. Already the braking and wheel equipment is rusted on many of the units. There's bits of mould and mildew growing in some of them. I imagine there's going to be a fair bit of cleaning up to do once they're finally signed off.

3973EXL

Established Member
Speaking of the fleet, I see 701010 has moved to Long Marston. That was until recently being used as one of the test units, with various additional cables running along the body side and through various additional holes, so testing appears to have been concluded with that unit.
701010 went to Worksop
5Q12 47727 701010

Invincible

Last I heard, the latest software update has knocked things back a step when things seemed to be turning the corner for Alstom and these beleaguered units. I don’t know what it is about Derby and Software, but it’s been described more than a few times as a cluster (+unmentionable word).

Maybe, as discussed earlier, outsourcing software coding to India has caused a few problems until quality assurance settles down?
Also doing high profile major updates on the Elizabeth line Aventras may not have helped software resources?. The ongoing bad relations with the unions over pay and working conditions also may not have helped?.

Trainbike46

Established Member
Bombardier trains have had major issues with software for years; Software issues with Bombardier locomotives were a major cause of unreliability on Dutch passenger services, and some of their metro vehicles in North America had similar issues. The problem clearly isn't restricted to Derby, but appears to have run throughout Bombardier's rail division for years now. Hopefully Alstom manages to get it sorted, both for the 701s and more generally