• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 701 'Aventra' trains for South Western Railway

Goldfish62

Established Member
Time to go correct wikipedia methinks :P - I know not to read everything there as absolute truth, but I could have sworn I read elsewhere the additional vehicles were powered. Oh well!
There wouldn't have been nearly enough tractioned coaches from the 460s to insert in the 458s anyway, unless you ripped the equipment off the scrapped driving coaches and stick under some trailers....

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bessie

Back to 701 chat. When will deliveries commence to SWR? I’m thinking there won’t be any in service for May timetable so we are looking at introduction into service for AW20.

Goldfish62

Established Member
Back to 701 chat. When will deliveries commence to SWR? I’m thinking there won’t be any in service for May timetable so we are looking at introduction into service for AW20.
Modern Railways states that Unit 5, the first production unit, is due to be delivered early this year, so hopefully we'll at least see testing before Easter. Based on the 458/5s and 707s I imagine testing will largely be between Staines and Reading, although the increased service level from Monday may have an impact on this.

The 10 car units are being prioritised as these don't require the added complexities of multiple working.

samuelmorris

Established Member
A quick bit of fact checking by me:
Gearing was originally fo 100mph but units limited to 90mph hence a bit of confusion on the 90/100mph gearing front.

Originally the 458 pantograph well car was a trailer and the other 3 vehicles were motored with the software limiting current draw to 49% (less than 444/450 limiting due to more motors installed). However Wikipedia states only the driving cars as motored pre conversion which isn't correct - hence the confusion.
Ah I see, that clears it up thanks. I'll end the off-topic discussion there :)

Based on current progress, do we think there will be issues with the training process if the union dispute is still going on by then? I don't see a 701 being delivered to SWR for considerable time yet since most of the 710s aren't ready for use yet and there's still no sign of the first 720, but there seems no end in sight to that dispute...

Goldfish62

Established Member

Based on current progress, do we think there will be issues with the training process if the union dispute is still going on by then? I don't see a 701 being delivered to SWR for considerable time yet since most of the 710s aren't ready for use yet and there's still no sign of the first 720, but there seems no end in sight to that dispute...
The first five 701s are built and being tested. Lessons will have been learned from the 710s and 720s. According the Modern Railways the first 701 is due for delivery early this year.

As I understand it they have guards panels throughout so could still operate as per current practice while the dispute is ongoing.

hwl

Established Member
The GatEx 460s only had 5 powered vehicle / 8car unit so after using 18 of the 40 motor vehicles equipment for 531-536 only 22 sets of traction electronics and motors were left for 30 vehicles... Basic maths to prove/check wikipedia fail...

The core issue is getting the software sorted properly just once (i.e. for the 710s) which is almost there given the noises on WA 710 training + deliveries and then using that software as base for the other non CR Aventras rather than trying to sort the same issues on 3 separate sets of software in parallel! Do it once then tweak for the different lengths, traction set ups and additional operator specific stuff.
720 well over 100 vehicles finished in October.

The first five 701s are built and being tested. Lessons will have been learned from the 710s and 720s. According the Modern Railways the first 701 is due for delivery early this year.
As I understand it they have guards panels throughout so could still operate as per current practice while the dispute is ongoing.
I heard different things about guards panels so don't know what to believe.

The key thing is to get a small fleet that are operational to each operator to start accumulating some mileage with the actual operators on home turf.

Goldfish62

Established Member
The core issue is getting the software sorted properly just once (i.e. for the 710s) which is almost there given the noises on WA 710 training + deliveries and then using that software as base for the other non CR Aventras.

I heard different things about guards panels so don't know what to believe.
As I understand it the delay with the GA 710s is the requirement for multi working. This won't be an issue for the 10 car 701s,which is why they're being prioritised.

The agreement proposed by SWR at ACAS included the requirement for the guard to use the panel to inhibit door closure from wherever they were in the train if a passenger needed assistance, which appears to indicate the presence of guards panels throughout. In some of the photos, what appear to be panels can be seen, but whether they include door release buttons, or whether they just have door close buttons as on Electrostars remains to be seen.

hwl

Established Member
As I understand it the delay with the GA 710s is the requirement for multi working. This won't be an issue for the 10 car 701s,which is why they're being prioritised.

The agreement proposed by SWR at ACAS included the requirement for the guard to use the panel to inhibit door closure from wherever they were in the train if a passenger needed assistance, which appears to indicate the presence of guards panels throughout. In some of the photos, what appear to be panels can be seen, but whether they include door release buttons, or whether they just have door close buttons as on Electrostars remains to be seen.
The electrostar set up would make sense as I though they weren't getting "full" guards panels...
Assuming a simple binary answer is always a mistake in rail!

The original plan appeared to be prioritising 5 car deliveries early on till more 10car stabling came on stream but the production delays and a fairly certain date for Feltham have eased that problem a fair bit along with changes as to what is leaving first hence prioritising 10car is now possible where as it wasn't on the original schedule.

The only real positive of 5car first is to provide a large float of driver training units which is slightly academic now as production is way ahead of software.

Multi issues are virtually sorted on GA 710s...

WWTownEnth

Does anyone know any more about to plans to continue using some 450s on Reading services along side the 701s?

I thought the intention was that all 450s would go to the main line to strengthen 8 car services to 12.

This seems to be a consequence of the number of 701 units ordered which, if all are in 10 car formation, equals 75 units. This doesn’t compare favourably to the 79 8 or 10 car formations theoretically available from 455s, 455+456, 707s and 458s.

On Moderation
Does anyone know any more about to plans to continue using some 450s on Reading services along side the 701s?

I thought the intention was that all 450s would go to the main line to strengthen 8 car services to 12.

This seems to be a consequence of the number of 701 units ordered which, if all are in 10 car formation, equals 75 units. This doesn’t compare favourably to the 79 8 or 10 car formations theoretically available from 455s, 455+456, 707s and 458s.
The simplest way to think of it is that the 30 x 5-car on order are like-for-like replacements for the 707s. The 10-car sets replace 455/456/458.

WWTownEnth

Thanks. So the answer is that no 450s will leave the Reading services to strengthen the main line?

RealTrains07

Established Member
The simplest way to think of it is that the 30 x 5-car on order are like-for-like replacements for the 707s. The 10-car sets replace 455/456/458.
how many 10 car sets though?? 60 right?? Will it be enough?

Considering their are short forms across the network at the moment due to the ongoing refurbishment programme as well which will most likely still be ongoing once the first 701s are in service

Domh245

Established Member
how many 10 car sets though?? 60 right?? Will it be enough?

Correct, 60x 10 car units, giving 600 vehicles, compared to the 592 vehicles in the existing fleet (not considering the 30x 5 cars 'like for like' with the 707)

I would think that it is enough - being a common fleet, there should be fewer maintenance spares meaning more of the fleet available for use.

On Moderation
Correct, 60x 10 car units, giving 600 vehicles, compared to the 592 vehicles in the existing fleet (not considering the 30x 5 cars 'like for like' with the 707)

I would think that it is enough - being a common fleet, there should be fewer maintenance spares meaning more of the fleet available for use.
It is still an “apples and oranges” comparison, though as the limiting factor is number of units, not cars. For this purpose you can ignore the 456s and consider pairs of 455s and 458s. There’s 91 455s and 36 458s which is a maximum of 63 formations, which will include spares/maintenance units. Given they should have some saving from reduced cover of 2 types, it is probably just about do-able, but it will be tight. And of course if you have a 10-car 701 fail on depot it’s diagram cancelled rather than running as a short-form.

hwl

Established Member

+ lower dwell times

A common fleet also allows platforms (sequencing and parallel moves in true Sir Herbert style) and layover times at Waterloo to be sorted e.g. on the P19-24 side the same stock can form a Kingtson Loop or Reading. It should also address some of the P1-6 issues

On Moderation
+ lower dwell times

A common fleet also allows platforms (sequencing and parallel moves in true Sir Herbert style) and layover times at Waterloo to be sorted e.g. on the P19-24 side the same stock can form a Kingtson Loop or Reading. It should also address some of the P1-6 issues
Which then just imports delays between different routes when the service falls apart - more so than they do already.

hwl

Established Member
Which then just imports delays between different routes when the service falls apart - more so than they do already.
But the trains can go to any destination which gives more flexibility if one branch is closed. The via Wimbledon side already rotates in that way with circa 20minute layovers at WAT reducing that slightly with a different rotation could also see useful gains.
The Windsor side has far less rotation - Reading and Windsor tend just to be shuttles but Hounslow and Kingston loop trains do rotate so plenty of potential.

On Moderation
But the trains can go to any destination which gives more flexibility if one branch is closed. The via Wimbledon side already rotates in that way with circa 20minute layovers at WAT reducing that slightly with a different rotation could also see useful gains.
The Windsor side has far less rotation - Reading and Windsor tend just to be shuttles but Hounslow and Kingston loop trains do rotate so plenty of potential.
Reading does Reading as it works on the diagrams as a 15min turnaround at Waterloo. Windsor the same on a +9. The Kingstons are also self contained, at least on the Windsor side, and the Hounslow loop does rounder, rounder, Weybridge return and repeat.

hwl

Established Member
Reading does Reading as it works on the diagrams as a 15min turnaround at Waterloo. Windsor the same on a +9. The Kingstons are also self contained, at least on the Windsor side, and the Hounslow loop does rounder, rounder, Weybridge return and repeat.
None of which helps optimise the station throat...

Snow1964

Established Member

The redacted version of the SWR contract on DfT website used to have a table, listing minimum introduced (in service) to meet Franchise commitments. First one was August 2019 (already missed).

Can’t be bothered to dig out the print out I made, but was about 20 units in service by end of 2019 (with full 750 vehicles by end 2020). Unfortunately it seems the DfT file version has been amended and franchise commitments is now redacted as a confidential contractual amendment.

Therefore appears to be running about 6-12 months late (depending on when one finally enters service)

Helvellyn

Established Member
Probably get a little bit of flex with some counter-peak metro services being 5-car 701 versus 8-car 455 at present, just like some counter-peak Windsor side services are 5-car 707s. First/MTR will have drawn up unit diagrams at the bid stage so will know what they needed to order. The issue will be whether the timetable consultation has thrown a spanner in the works and they need more units. Possibly simpler to have ordered all 10-car units (they wouldn't need 90 though) but given that would still be more coaches than what has been ordered the issue could be stabling space.

RealTrains07

Established Member
Was procurement of the 701s to replace current trains in the franchise agreement? or was the whole project done by First/MTR on top of what was said in the franchise agreement?

Snow1964

Established Member
Was procurement of the 701s to replace current trains in the franchise agreement? or was the whole project done by First/MTR on top of what was said in the franchise agreement?

There was franchise agreement to introduce 750 new coaches (and 90 additional older ones), but didn’t specify type then. See the announcement from March 2017

https://www.southwesternrailway.com...atement-re-south-western-rail-franchise-award

Re-Reading the Chris Grayling quote gave me a laugh ..... will enjoy faster journeys and a more reliable service

Energy

Established Member
I hope we see the 707s taken out of service and put back in to satisfy the 90 older carriages thing.

hwl

Established Member
Anything much less than a 15min turnaround is a performance risk.
For optimising the throat on both sides ( a reliability issue currently) the optimum is 13 -16 min layovers.:D

Goldfish62

Established Member
The redacted version of the SWR contract on DfT website used to have a table, listing minimum introduced (in service) to meet Franchise commitments. First one was August 2019 (already missed).

Can’t be bothered to dig out the print out I made, but was about 20 units in service by end of 2019 (with full 750 vehicles by end 2020). Unfortunately it seems the DfT file version has been amended and franchise commitments is now redacted as a confidential contractual amendment.

Therefore appears to be running about 6-12 months late (depending on when one finally enters service)
The fleet is planned to be fully in service by the middle of next year, around six months late, with 20 coaches a week being delivered to SWR. First unit is due to arrive for main line testing soon.

hwl

Established Member
The fleet is planned to be fully in service by the middle of next year, around six months late, with 20 coaches a week being delivered to SWR. First unit is due to arrive for main line testing soon.
20 a week is faster than they can build them so that relies on a bit of a stockpile to start with.