• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 701 'Aventra' trains for South Western Railway

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SWRtrain_fan

Also interesting the Desiros in my opinion look far better than any of the other units in SWR colours (442s and diesels), as for these I'll wait for the complete livery to be applied.
I agree, it's because they have smooth bodysides unlike the 442s and 158/159s.

Goldfish62

Established Member
Those are some really nice photos, but it does lead me to ask how we've only seen 5 cars but 10 car units are supposed to be introduced first (explicitly 10 car units not 2x5car)

Also interesting the Desiros in my opinion look far better than any of the other units in SWR colours (442s and diesels), as for these I'll wait for the complete livery to be applied.
The first 4 (?) units are pre-production and are all five cars. The fifth unit, which is 10 car, is the first production unit and will be delivered to SWR soon.

Info from the trade press.

Goldfish62

Established Member
I agree, it's because they have smooth bodysides unlike the 442s and 158/159s.
Agreed. I think it's also because of the black edging around the window frames.

The 701s don't have smooth bodysides because they use metal framed windows rather being bonded. However the frames are black, so I reckon they'll look as good as the Desiros when fully done.

RealTrains07

Established Member
First 701 due to arrive at wimbledon depot later this month. As noted previously in the thread it will be a 10 car 701/1. Source: RAIL

Incase anyone wasn’t already aware.

Attachments

• 4B682A25-2E10-4E34-B463-6F5CB7695EF9.jpeg
    4B682A25-2E10-4E34-B463-6F5CB7695EF9.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 124

Goldfish62

Established Member
The latest RAIL reports that the first 10 car unit is due to be delivered to Wimbledon this month.

Whether that happens now is another matter given that the world is being turned upside down.

Murray J

unlike with the 90s, 143s and 142s, this may be a case where the lifespan if 455s, 466s, 707s and 458s is extended slightly.
what time are they meant to be disposed of by?

hwl

Established Member
unlike with the 90s, 143s and 142s, this may be a case where the lifespan if 455s, 466s, 707s and 458s is extended slightly.
what time are they meant to be disposed of by?
No PRM or CET issues...

samuelmorris

Established Member
The largest Aventra order to date.
In terms of number of vehicles yes. In terms of actual product supplied, Anglia's order is bigger as it's 665 vehicles that are 20% longer than than the 701s, so the equivalent length of 798 vehicles. Alright, extra length doesn't mean extra cabs etc. but it does mean extra seats due to GA using 2+3 configuration, plus all the other extras that there would be extra of, lighting, plug sockets etc.

D365

Veteran Member
Ah, it didn't occur to me that the Class 701s are made up of 20m carriages.

Goldfish62

Established Member
In terms of number of vehicles yes. In terms of actual product supplied, Anglia's order is bigger as it's 665 vehicles that are 20% longer than than the 701s, so the equivalent length of 798 vehicles. Alright, extra length doesn't mean extra cabs etc. but it does mean extra seats due to GA using 2+3 configuration, plus all the other extras that there would be extra of, lighting, plug sockets etc.
Comparative value of orders:

GA: £835m
SWR: £895m

:)

theironroad

Established Member
The latest RAIL reports that the first 10 car unit is due to be delivered to Wimbledon this month.

Whether that happens now is another matter given that the world is being turned upside down.

What was the original delivery timescale? I'm guessing at least a couple a week once it gets rolling.

Having said that, they'll need to find space to store them (Eastleigh looks empty!) as I imagine the driver training will now be on hold for the foreseeable.

Goldfish62

Established Member
What was the original delivery timescale? I'm guessing at least a couple a week once it gets rolling.

Having said that, they'll need to find space to store them (Eastleigh looks empty!) as I imagine the driver training will now be on hold for the foreseeable.
Yes, quoted previously as 1 - 2 units per week. Storage is an issue and relies on current stock being quickly withdrawn.

hwl

Established Member
Comparative value of orders:

GA: £835m
SWR: £895m

:)
And the Anglia order has far more cabs as it has more 5car units 222cabs vs 180cabs. Comparatively fewer bogies and air con units as well as more traction motor fed per "grey box" on average on 720s vs 701s on the longer Anglia coaches all adds up in value terms.

samuelmorris

Established Member
And the Anglia order has far more cabs as it has more 5car units 222cabs vs 180cabs. Comparatively fewer bogies and air con units as well as more traction motor fed per "grey box" on average on 720s vs 701s on the longer Anglia coaches all adds up in value terms.
Then they seem to have got a much better deal, if the above figures are correct?

AlexNL

Established Member
SWR is getting a new shorter cab design though, and incorporates a new ABDO* system. The GA order uses the 'standard' Aventra product.

* Automatic Braking and Door Opening

hwl

Established Member
Then they seem to have got a much better deal, if the above figures are correct?
Going 24m is actually very efficient the net effect for Anglia is a saving of 266 bogies, 133 air con units and other weight savings to which reduces the number of traction motors required along with traction electronics by 2 "grey boxes" per 240m (admitted one of the boxes ends up being bigger but still cost and weight savings) which reduces cost substantially. The difference in number of cabs is only just over £10m. The extra 4m is far far cheaper than rolling it in an extra vehicle instead (noticeably less welding, assembly and testing)
SWR also includes most ABDO costs.

D365

Veteran Member
Has ABDO been discussed in this thread? Just wondering if somebody could explain the principles of its proposed operation.

pompeyfan

Established Member
This is hypothetical as there’s no clear guidance yet, but Driver drives over a beacon in the 4ft of the track at around the platform ramp at an agreed speed. The train will then manage itself to bring the formation to a stop at the relevant stop car mark and then release the doors the instant wheels stop.

hwl

Established Member
This is hypothetical as there’s no clear guidance yet, but Driver drives over a beacon in the 4ft of the track at around the platform ramp at an agreed speed. The train will then manage itself to bring the formation to a stop at the relevant stop car mark and then release the doors the instant wheels stop.
The outer balise will have to be far further away than the far end of the platform probably around the previous signal.