• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 701 'Aventra' trains for South Western Railway

trainmania100

Established Member
Bloke on Facebook saying 701005, don't take my word for it you know what some of these facebookers can be like haha

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

theironroad

Established Member
Aren’t the 442s also written into the franchise obligations? Unless something has been agreed with the DfT I would be surprised.

I dont hink franchise committments will mean a lot right now.

I'd imagine that SWR will revert to OLR by end of year unless First group have suddenly become a charity as can't imagine they'll want any new ERMA deal paying less than the current 2% of costs they are getting.

RichSwitch

I’ve seen some recent pictures (elsewhere) of the new trains on delivery. All I can say is “Nice train. Shame they painted it to look like a slug”. Surely SWR can do better than that for livery on spanking new trains.

Mikey C

Established Member
I’ve seen some recent pictures (elsewhere) of the new trains on delivery. All I can say is “Nice train. Shame they painted it to look like a slug”. Surely SWR can do better than that for livery on spanking new trains.
They would have looked so much better in one of SWT's liveries, especially the blue one

Dan15812

They would have looked so much better in one of SWT's liveries, especially the blue one
I see what you mean there!
Although I like the fact SWR have made it a bit more upmarket and less kid-like compared to SWT.

fgwrich

Established Member
701005. Shot the working from a different location/angle this time.

Something I hadn't realised until this evening, from both your video and pictures on Flickr, is that the cab door appears to have been left open during transit.

spark001uk

Established Member
Something I hadn't realised until this evening, from both your video and pictures on Flickr, is that the cab door appears to have been left open during transit.
You can't really see it in the video, but I thought I caught a glimpse of someone in the cab, which might explain the open door in that day's weather. Can't be certain though.

Goldfish62

Established Member
Ive just read in Modern Railways that SWR have confirmed that the 701s will be introduced on Reading services first, ie no change from the pre Covid plan.

fgwrich

Established Member
You can't really see it in the video, but I thought I caught a glimpse of someone in the cab, which might explain the open door in that day's weather. Can't be certain though.

I'd be surprised though if it was the case - after all, they do have drop down windows in the cab doors. I'm almost surprised it wasn't out of gauge running like that either.

spark001uk

Established Member
The 66s have opening windows too, but I'm always seeing them driving around with the door(s) open.

spark001uk

Established Member
There's a 5Q24 running around Dorset at the moment. Sounds like a 701 test but the working hasn't been activated on the system. It's definitely there on the diagram though, just left Bournemouth at 1240, heading west. Any eyes down that way?

Train Boy

There's a 5Q24 running around Dorset at the moment. Sounds like a 701 test but the working hasn't been activated on the system. It's definitely there on the diagram though, just left Bournemouth at 1240, heading west. Any eyes down that way?

Has been 2410+2420 in recent days, crew refreshers on the 442s.

spark001uk

Established Member
Has been 2410+2420 in recent days, crew refreshers on the 442s.
Ah OK thanks, that was the other possibility. Not sure where we are with 701 tests then, assume theyre both (002 & 005) parked up at Eastleigh doing nothing still?

Juniper Driver

Established Member

Will that be their new nickname? Slug?

spark001uk

Established Member
Have they actually got enough room for these to start delivering regularly? I guess the original plan was to have them approved/trained on by now, so they could start being pressed into service and predecessors displaced, but obviously everything is further delayed now.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Have they actually got enough room for these to start delivering regularly? I guess the original plan was to have them approved/trained on by now, so they could start being pressed into service and predecessors displaced, but obviously everything is further delayed now.
So far some have been delivered to Eastleigh TRSMD, which isn’t a normal SWR location, presumably because it provides the temporary extra room needed?

py_megapixel

Established Member
I mean, the unit front is shaped like a slug so there's not a huge amount that can be done about it

pompeyfan

Established Member
Not sure if it’s related, but I’m sure @swt_passenger will be interested, GBRF recently confirmed they’d helped NR in bringing Eastleigh depot back into 3rd rail service;

GBRf were delighted to recently support #ArrivaTrainCare with the recommissioning of its 3rd rail sidings at their depot in Eastleigh. The welcome return of these sidings after 20 years will provide them with further capacity and will improve flexibility.

#RailServices

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Not sure if it’s related, but I’m sure @swt_passenger will be interested, GBRF recently confirmed they’d helped NR in bringing Eastleigh depot back into 3rd rail service;
Yes I noticed that, the new yellow kick boards everywhere on the airport side of the TRSMD are quite noticeable. You mentioned the work reconnecting the arrival/departure line in the SWR depot thread.

I don’t think it’s to be a long term feature of 701 stabling though.

Goldfish62

Established Member
Ah OK thanks, that was the other possibility. Not sure where we are with 701 tests then, assume theyre both (002 & 005) parked up at Eastleigh doing nothing still?
According to Modern Railways, quoting SWR, testing will commence on the Reading line in August.