• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 701 'Aventra' trains for South Western Railway

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Towers

Established Member
Noticed that SWR are using a animated version of the 701 in their latest TV advert.

Not that it matters, but they're hardly the most appealing trains in the fleet, even when/if they ever actually enter service!

Quite a PR risk using them in a media campaign currently I would have thought, given then they're the cause both of industrial action due to their intended introduction, and of reported suburban route overcrowding due to their lack of introduction thus far!

Goldfish62

Established Member
Not that it matters, but they're hardly the most appealing trains in the fleet, even when/if they ever actually enter service!

Quite a PR risk using them in a media campaign currently I would have thought, given then they're the cause both of industrial action due to their intended introduction, and of reported suburban route overcrowding due to their lack of introduction thus far!
The industrial action element was resolved ages ago. I don't see the connection.

According to the Today's Railways article Alstom hope to be in a position to hand over the first batch of 701s to SWR in "the coming weeks". The batch is proposed to be a mix of units modified in accordance with union wishes and later units which were built from new incorporating the modifications.

We shall see...

FOCTOC

The industrial action element was resolved ages ago. I don't see the connection.

According to the Today's Railways article Alstom hope to be in a position to hand over the first batch of 701s to SWR in "the coming weeks". The batch is proposed to be a mix of units modified in accordance with union wishes and later units which were built from new incorporating the modifications.

We shall see...
Wrong and err....wrong.

Union still not happy with the units, and some have already been handed over having completed their running in turns.

Goldfish62

Established Member
Wrong and err....wrong.

Union still not happy with the units, and some have already been handed over having completed their running in turns.
Can you enlighten us? What exactly don't the union like and why would Alston say none of the units have yet been handed over when you're claiming they have?

What are the unit numbers of those handed over?

theking

Can you enlighten us? What exactly don't the union like and why would Alston say none of the units have yet been handed over when you're claiming they have?

What are the unit numbers of those handed over?

It was posted earlier up in the thread.

Apparently they're unhappy with the position of the wiper (even though they drive stock with windscreens the quarter of the size of a 701)
The interlock is too bright lol and the fan is noisy (even tho there are freight drivers with 3300hp engines behind them)

Goldfish62

Established Member
It was posted earlier up in the thread.

Apparently they're unhappy with the position of the wiper (even though they drive stock with windscreens the quarter of the size of a 701)
The interlock is too bright lol and the fan is noisy (even tho there are freight drivers with 3300hp engines behind them)
Nothing to do with trying to delay DCO on the South Western indefinitely because it's somehow a special case, of course. Perish the thought. ;)

Bigfoot

Shall we remove the air con? They didn't have that in the past so why would they need it now?

Let's remove all of the safety systems too. They didn't need those in the past either. And the crash protection structures.

There is a thing called progress and advancement. A new modern diesel loco would be stuffed to the brim with sound deadening and insulation to prevent the noise entering the work environment.

When you are concentrating on hundreds of stops a day an irritating noise or bright light shining constantly in your eyes can easily become a distraction and will soon cause someone to make a mistake.

Goldfish62

Established Member
When you are concentrating on hundreds of stops a day an irritating noise or bright light shining constantly in your eyes can easily become a distraction and will soon cause someone to make a mistake.
Yet all those drivers on the 345s, 710s and 720s going about their business daily can seemingly put up with all these distractions. How odd.

AlexNL

Established Member
Yet all those drivers on the 345s, 710s and 720s going about their business daily can seemingly put up with all these distractions. How odd.
Didn't the cabs on the 701s get a rather different design? It might be that some of the things which are now a nuisance to drivers are less of a nuisance to drivers on 345s, 710s and 720s.

The door interlock light on a 710 might be just as bright, but placed/angled differently so it's not so much in the way. And if the aircon outlet has been moved around it might also be more noisy.

Bigfoot

Didn't the cabs on the 701s get a rather different design? It might be that some of the things which are now a nuisance to drivers are less of a nuisance to drivers on 345s, 710s and 720s.

The door interlock light on a 710 might be just as bright, but placed/angled differently so it's not so much in the way. And if the aircon outlet has been moved around it might also be more noisy.
Precisely. Don't let facts get in the way of speculation.

Last edited:

Snow1964

Established Member
The DofT will be quietly happy that this is dragging on no expensive leases that need to be funded.

It’s only any incremental cost, because instead they are having to fund costs of maintaining and keeping 455s and the trains that South Eastern can’t release because they haven’t received their 707s.

And anyway wasn’t the whole basis of ordering 750 brand new vehicles because it was said to be cheaper than keeping a mixed fleet with 5car 458s and 707s, so are the DfT actually gaining much financially.

spark001uk

Established Member
Today's delivery to Eastleigh was 701041 if anyone was curious. Hauled by 47739. Vid below.

16th March:
5Q10 0756 Derby Litchurch Lane to Eastleigh Trsmd

47739 + 701042.
Currently running to time.!

Should be one returning North on 5Q15 later as well.

Update: 5Q15 failed between Fleet and Farnborough, rescued by unknown loco to Woking yard where it is parked up awaiting fitter's attention.

Last edited:

deepeetw

As we approach the end of yet another month with no news on progress between SWR / the manufacturer / ASLEF, introduction in the first half of 2022 seems an impossibility now.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
There is actually an 11th siding which commences nearer the depot entrance just south of the running tracks.

There is plenty of room on south side to add more stabling sidings if they are ever required
I thought the track parallel to the running lines (but behind the fence) was an “entry and departure line”? There was an associated junction and crossover installed at the London end, but I suppose until the depot is ever in full normal use we won’t know how it’ll get used.

You’d hope it could be further expanded, it seems an ideal location, but I read that the locals are determined to keep the remaining self seeded wasteland as some sort of green space, despite it being defined as operational railway land from a planning perspective.

Goldfish62

Established Member
There is actually an 11th siding which commences nearer the depot entrance just south of the running tracks.

There is plenty of room on south side to add more stabling sidings if they are ever required
I think about another 60 sidings will do for storing the 701s that will be gathering dust over the next 30 years. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Snow1964

Established Member
I think about another 60 sidings will do for storing the 701s that will be gathering dust over the next 30 years. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I am young enough to remember the sidings at Micheldever, where EMUs seemed to be stored for years until they decided what to do with them, I bet SWR wish they hadn’t been ripped up.

On a more serious note can the two very long sidings, which I think were electrified on south side of Wimbledon stretching almost to Durnsford Road still be used, last time I went past looked like they were still there under some weeds, ought to be able to get few sets in them if short of siding space.

fgwrich

Established Member
I am young enough to remember the sidings at Micheldever, where EMUs seemed to be stored for years until they decided what to do with them, I bet SWR wish they hadn’t been ripped up.

On a more serious note can the two very long sidings, which I think were electrified on south side of Wimbledon stretching almost to Durnsford Road still be used, last time I went past looked like they were still there under some weeds, ought to be able to get few sets in them if short of siding space.
Actually, In all seriousness though that doesn’t seem too much like a bad idea. DB have been using some of the sidings at Micheldever for several years to store WIA Cartic’s, and it remains a fairly secure location which could offer (if the wagons were cleared, at least 4 sidings) - and that’s without relaying into the former oil terminal site.

Peter Sarf

Established Member
10 roads of 10 cars.
Thanks.
You beat me to it !.

Oh yes Micheldever - the home of my last 4SUB. True it would be secure as it is a bit tucked away in a cutting in the countryside iirc.

EDIT :- Apparently not secure.

Last edited:

Towers

Established Member
Looking at the state of those stored wagons, I'm not sure that Micheldever is really what could be called 'secure'? The local yobs would soon be along to 'decorate' any rakes of stored stock left there, I'm sure!

Big Jumby 74

Ah, Wimbledon South sidings as was. The longest, No 1, next to the Down Slow could accommodate 4 x 8 car sets (on the juice - it did extend further, under Durnsford Road bridge for access to a private siding at one time) and No 2, 2 x 8 cars. These were vaguely looked in to re-commissioning for the 10 car railway of more recent times, but were dismissed. I can't say why for sure, although having that amount of stock out of reach from the depot across the way and prone to vandalism may have come in to it. There has also been an access problem for xx years now, as the long ladder crossing allowing a move from the depot/LUL lines right across to platform 8 at Wimbledon station was cut back, so no access to platform 8 and hence loss of access to South siding No 1 directly from the depot. Stock stabled in such locations over night would ideally have been to the depot first for internal cleaning etc etc. I think No 2 was only accessible from platforms 9 & 10 back then, but am speaking from memory.