• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 701 'Aventra' trains for South Western Railway

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Looking at the state of those stored wagons, I'm not sure that Micheldever is really what could be called 'secure'? The local yobs would soon be along to 'decorate' any rakes of stored stock left there, I'm sure!
That’s what I was thinking. Unless DB were routinely moving ‘pre-decorated’ wagons there, I’d assumed it’s not very secure at all.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ah, Wimbledon South sidings as was. The longest, No 1, next to the Down Slow could accommodate 4 x 8 car sets (on the juice - it did extend further, under Durnsford Road bridge for access to a private siding at one time) and No 2, 2 x 8 cars. These were vaguely looked in to re-commissioning for the 10 car railway of more recent times, but were dismissed. I can't say why for sure, although having that amount of stock out of reach from the depot across the way and prone to vandalism may have come in to it. There has also been an access problem for xx years now, as the long ladder crossing allowing a move from the depot/LUL lines right across to platform 8 at Wimbledon station was cut back, so no access to platform 8 and hence loss of access to South siding No 1 directly from the depot. Stock stabled in such locations over night would ideally have been to the depot first for internal cleaning etc etc. I think No 2 was only accessible from platforms 9 & 10 back then, but am speaking from memory.
I also seem to recall that there is no staff walking route meeting current standards to/from these sidings.

fgwrich

Established Member
Looking at the state of those stored wagons, I'm not sure that Micheldever is really what could be called 'secure'? The local yobs would soon be along to 'decorate' any rakes of stored stock left there, I'm sure!
Some of them were decorated down there it seems, but some did arrive pre-decorated. But Micheldever Station is certainly very much out of the way though and you’d be hard pressed to find any local yobs living there. If anything did come of the site I’m sure a more secure fence could be put in to separate off the former oil terminal sidings to the mainline (though that would require investment!).

701030 was sat in Eastleigh Station last night as I made my way over the bridge, so I went down and had a look at it. It’s destination screen system seemed quite glitchy, gradually cycling its way through the SWR network and services before settling on a Clapham Junction to Waterloo service.

Attachments

• 384DE75A-8440-47DF-9330-000A797BEF45.jpeg
    384DE75A-8440-47DF-9330-000A797BEF45.jpeg
    4.3 MB · Views: 201
  • F24344D8-E91F-49B8-A5D1-8E396C5D2E12.jpeg
    F24344D8-E91F-49B8-A5D1-8E396C5D2E12.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 192
  • CE639EEB-2949-434E-9674-5EEBB5E9A8E5.jpeg
    CE639EEB-2949-434E-9674-5EEBB5E9A8E5.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 181
  • BB2E276E-1FDF-4255-8634-02223C30F719.jpeg
    BB2E276E-1FDF-4255-8634-02223C30F719.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 188
  • 420A7614-5EFA-4DBB-9A4E-AA2AA08B74B2.jpeg
    420A7614-5EFA-4DBB-9A4E-AA2AA08B74B2.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 223
  • CC7E89D1-649D-46A5-9E73-03ACAB24737A.jpeg
    CC7E89D1-649D-46A5-9E73-03ACAB24737A.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 227
  • 08E0EC54-8AB4-49D4-9F9D-0C6A3EBFC7CD.jpeg
    08E0EC54-8AB4-49D4-9F9D-0C6A3EBFC7CD.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 233
Last edited:

387star

On Moderation
Seats look way comfier being contoured
Presumably the seat covers could be retrofitted to 700s etc

Towers

Established Member
I presume the depressing dark grey interior is a standard feature on all of these then? The Crossrail ones are the same. Bright and cheery it isn't!

setdown

I presume the depressing dark grey interior is a standard feature on all of these then? The Crossrail ones are the same. Bright and cheery it isn't!
I remember when the Crossrail interiors were first unveiled, there was an interview with someone responsible saying how they wanted to move away from the “kitchen appliance” white that new trains had by default, to something more warm. Not saying that’s correct, just an insight into the choice.

ashkeba

Established Member
I remember when the Crossrail interiors were first unveiled, there was an interview with someone responsible saying how they wanted to move away from the “kitchen appliance” white that new trains had by default, to something more warm. Not saying that’s correct, just an insight into the choice.
An overreaction to the Thameslink units, in other words. I wonder how much train design is in reaction to previous trains on nearby routes?

Mikey C

Established Member
An overreaction to the Thameslink units, in other words. I wonder how much train design is in reaction to previous trains on nearby routes?
The 345s (and Overground 710s) have gaudy seat covers, which visually brightens them up when compared to the 701s and 700s

Goldfish62

Established Member
I didn't like the grey at first but having now travelled on many Aventras it's grown on me.

The 345s (and Overground 710s) have gaudy seat covers, which visually brightens them up when compared to the 701s and 700s
The 720s have grey seat covers, but still look good.

Fincra5

Established Member
Some of them were decorated down there it seems, but some did arrive pre-decorated. But Micheldever Station is certainly very much out of the way though and you’d be hard pressed to find any local yobs living there. If anything did come of the site I’m sure a more secure fence could be put in to separate off the former oil terminal sidings to the mainline (though that would require investment!).

701030 was sat in Eastleigh Station last night as I made my way over the bridge, so I went down and had a look at it. It’s destination screen system seemed quite glitchy, gradually cycling its way through the SWR network and services before settling on a Clapham Junction to Waterloo service.
Those tables and Seats would be good in a 700.... :D;):lol:

Towers

Established Member
Unfortunately, nobody considered the likely wear and tear on the full height bay seating on the 345s, and the headrest areas are now turning a grim dirty brown. They really needed to incorporate a 'leather' style panel to avoid this, but evidently it wasn't thought of. The result does nothing to improve the already deeply unwelcoming ambience!

spark001uk

Established Member
5Q52 is being worked this evening by 701030, complete with its unauthorised repaint on the rear 2 cars.

RailWonderer

Established Member
Just an opinion, but I personally think the 720s look drab from photos. A bit like the visitor reception area in a bog-standard midrise office block (obviously with lots of crammed-together seats though!)
You're right the 720 do have a very officey interior colour scheme with the dark blues and red and gray tones. They are pleasant trains and much less like the 700s than the 701s are. Photos don't do the 720 justice, I'm very pleased GA didn't go with a Northern style gaudy scheme. Narrow isles are the only problem with them. I saw a 701 on testing on my train out of Waterloo today, and while they will be an upgrade for the decaying 455s (that they have done a great job life extending), the 458s still have that spongy seating that won't be beaten.

py_megapixel

Established Member
You're right the 720 do have a very officey interior colour scheme with the dark blues and red and gray tones. They are pleasant trains and much less like the 700s than the 701s are. Photos don't do the 720 justice, I'm very pleased GA didn't go with a Northern style gaudy scheme. Narrow isles are the only problem with them. I saw a 701 on testing on my train out of Waterloo today, and while they will be an upgrade for the decaying 455s (that they have done a great job life extending), the 458s still have that spongy seating that won't be beaten.
I don't consider the Northern interior design gaudy. On the 195s and 331s with the various different shades of blue in conjunction with the wood-grain on the tables, it's pretty nice. The problem on the refurbished stock is that they've used poor quality retro-fit LED lighting which skews the whole colour spectrum towards blue and makes everything feel plain and flat, leading to a tacky, cheap appearance. The blue seats exacerbate this and are just the icing on the cake.

XCTurbostar

Established Member
So as another month slips away.. the prospect of 'Early 2022' seems to be fading away. I don't suppose we have any developments on when driver/driver manager training will start?

Goldfish62

Established Member
So as another month slips away.. the prospect of 'Early 2022' seems to be fading away. I don't suppose we have any developments on when driver/driver manager training will start?
And August looms ever closer when the remaining 707s go. Let's hope those Southern 455s don't go straight to scrap...

Bigfoot

SWR have recently reintroduced guaranteed overtime for drivers, which is to help cover work when drivers are being trained on new stock.

davews

So what is actually happening at the moment. The runs they had to Reading earlier in the year have not run for the last month or so. I did espy one waiting at Virginia Water last week and 5 or 6 are sitting proud and stationary at Feltham. Is anything happening or is it looking like a total white elephant?

Goldfish62

Established Member
So what is actually happening at the moment. The runs they had to Reading earlier in the year have not run for the last month or so. I did espy one waiting at Virginia Water last week and 5 or 6 are sitting proud and stationary at Feltham. Is anything happening or is it looking like a total white elephant?
Depending on who you ask you'll probably get half a dozen completely different answers to the same question. The whole situation really is most bizarre.

TEW

Established Member
SWR have recently reintroduced guaranteed overtime for drivers, which is to help cover work when drivers are being trained on new stock.
My understanding was that the reintroduction was not necessarily linked to any imminent introduction of 701 training. The guaranteed element of the agreement had only ever been temporarily suspended because of Covid, although the original purpose of it was to assist with training.

spark001uk

Established Member
Not sure if it's directly connected, but I've noticed the last couple of weeks the Waterloo - Weybridge service no longer has any 707s on it at all.

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
The agreement between SWR and SE is that they're going in August. They're subleased by SE to SWR so the latter doesn't have any say in the matter.
Ultimately D off T has say in the matter but maybe thats why its being reported on the 455 thread that Wimbledon are battering units back into service so they can release them.

For completeness is the agreement all gone by August or just recommencing transfers from August?