• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 701 'Aventra' trains for South Western Railway

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

spark001uk

Established Member
Currently having loco issues between Basingstoke and Hook? 6L Hook 1513 but not got to BAS yet 1603
Yes at a stand on the down fast, everything currently dropping onto the slow at Winchfield to go round it.

Edit:
Just to follow up, 47739 was declared failed, and 66716 was sent 1Z99 from Westbury to assist. Finally got moving again about 3hrs late.

Last edited:

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
Although any new debentures or charges would normally be registered.

The most recently added ones (in June) were units : 701 004, 701 016, 701 019, 701 023, 701 025, 701 029, 701 032, 701 035,

and a long list of spare parts on charge 10 (this one doesn’t have a set of vehicles forming a unit, so looks to me like 14 charges, but only 13 units).

Another 5 have been added as of 7/9/22 according to companies house

034, 037, 042, 044, 047

Snow1964

Established Member
So that's now 19 units of the 60 10 car trains.
11 + 5 = 16

Charge 1 is more general, doesn’t cover a train.
Charge 5 is driver simulators, (no train)
Charge 10 doesn’t cover a train, just a lot list of spare parts (link is charge 10, with what is covered towards the end of the pdf)

Charges 2-4, 6-9, 11-19 cover following 16 units :
004, 006, 011, 012, 016, 019, 023, 025, 029, 032, 034, 035, 037, 042, 044, 047

With trains numbered in 30s and 40s now being accepted, I don’t know if that means these have been built with, or include the modifications. But with the driver simulators, would have thought there is sufficient to get staff trained quickly now.

Last edited:

Goldfish62

Established Member
11 + 5 = 16

Charge 10 doesn’t cover a train, just a lot list of spare parts (link is charge 10, with what is covered towards the end of the pdf)

Charges 2-4, 5-9, 11-19 cover following 16 units :

With trains numbered in 30s and 40s now being accepted, I don’t know if that means these have been built with, or include the modifications. But with the driver simulators, would have thought there is sufficient to get staff trained quickly now.
Thanks for the detail.

Peter Sarf

Established Member
11 + 5 = 16

Charges 2-4, 5-9 6-9, 11-19 cover following 16 units :

One wee error. In your list of relevent charges I have highlighted 5-9 as I think it is meant to be 6-9 ?.

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
11 + 5 = 16

Charges 2-4, 6-9, 11-19 cover following 16 units :

017 now added to the charge list.

https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/company/10754652/filing-history

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
Well yes, Rock Rail will be wanting rental income from them.
If they comply with specification then SWR will have to pay the leasing charges its not Rock Rails problem that there are disputes with SWRs operating staff. If SWR were a franchise still liable for the costs there would be some impetus to get this sorted however under the daft arrangements we have now SWR just add the costs to the monthly bill to DfT.

Goldfish62

Established Member
If they comply with specification then SWR will have to pay the leasing charges its not Rock Rails problem that there are disputes with SWRs operating staff. If SWR were a franchise still liable for the costs there would be some impetus to get this sorted however under the daft arrangements we have now SWR just add the costs to the monthly bill to DfT.
I can't see the DfT being prepared to foot the bill if it's just SWR's internal issues holding up training. Just as it's not Rock Rail's problem I'm sure the DfT will also see it as not their problem.

Snow1964

Established Member
I can't see the DfT being prepared to foot the bill if it's just SWR's internal issues holding up training. Just as it's not Rock Rail's problem I'm sure the DfT will also see it as not their problem.
I wonder if the DfT pays for a required number of trains (+ spares) for the management contract service they have specified.

Therefore is a possibility that for every extra 701 they pay for, SWR is reimbursed 1 less 455 rental.

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
Lets hope so but with NRCs DfT pick up the bill for costs incurred to run the service and the operator just hands over the cash from selling tickets. SWR are also specifically tasked by DfT to introduce the class 701's as part of their contract so it depends on whether costs arising from industrial relation issues over bringing the trains into use can be deducted.

In my view DfT taking over the franchises will prove to be a financial burden on the industry for years to come with in this case SWR having minimal incentives to sort the 701 issues compounded by DfT interfering without the knowledge and experience to understand the way the industry works.

AM9

Veteran Member
Lets hope so but with NRCs DfT pick up the bill for costs incurred to run the service and the operator just hands over the cash from selling tickets. SWR are also specifically tasked by DfT to introduce the class 701's as part of their contract so it depends on whether costs arising from industrial relation issues over bringing the trains into use can be deducted.

In my view DfT taking over the franchises will prove to be a financial burden on the industry for years to come with in this case SWR having minimal incentives to sort the 701 issues compounded by DfT interfering without the knowledge and experience to understand the way the industry works.
Any issues with the train's technical fitness for purpose would fall on the specifier/purchaser or the supplier, unless as has been suggested here the staff that will use them have raised issues that were not in the specification, (were they involved in it's preparation).

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
Any issues with the train's technical fitness for purpose would fall on the specifier/purchaser or the supplier,
agree
unless as has been suggested here the staff that will use them have raised issues that were not in the specification, (were they involved in it's preparation).
It is quite possible that the cab changes are outwith the original specification so Rock Rails taking ownership through a "charge" isn't necessarily an indication that SWR have accepted the train and thus are liable for leasing charges. However, having followed this sorry saga it would appear that Bombardier elected to keep the same desk layout (sensible as agreed on 345/710) and squeeze the driver in closer which is part of the problem and necessitated a wholesale redesign of the cab interior at this point Rock Rail stopped reporting "charges" for the units around Jan 21 and have only recently recommenced reporting "charges". So despite the taxpayer being on the hook for £1B here there is radio silence from the DfT and i have to say pretty disappointing reporting from the railway press In times gone by Roger Ford would have been all over this but not anymore.

Captain Deltic

agree

It is quite possible that the cab changes are outwith the original specification so Rock Rails taking ownership through a "charge" isn't necessarily an indication that SWR have accepted the train and thus are liable for leasing charges. However, having followed this sorry saga it would appear that Bombardier elected to keep the same desk layout (sensible as agreed on 345/710) and squeeze the driver in closer which is part of the problem and necessitated a wholesale redesign of the cab interior at this point Rock Rail stopped reporting "charges" for the units around Jan 21 and have only recently recommenced reporting "charges". So despite the taxpayer being on the hook for £1B here there is radio silence from the DfT and i have to say pretty disappointing reporting from the railway press In times gone by Roger Ford would have been all over this but not anymore.

I can only apologise for the recent reduction in my coverage of traction and rolling stock issues. In mitigation, there are several major issues concerning the future of the railway - Great British Railways, decarbonisation, returning ridership prospects etc - that something has to give and that has included the Class 701 saga. With next month's column already full before the latest issue of Modern Railways has been published, I can't promise an early return to the 701 problems saga. But our Traction & Rolling stock issue and the Golden Spanners awards will see me back in full-on traction and rolling stock mode.

Peter Sarf

Established Member
I can only apologise for the recent reduction in my coverage of traction and rolling stock issues. In mitigation, there are several major issues concerning the future of the railway - Great British Railways, decarbonisation, returning ridership prospects etc - that something has to give and that has included the Class 701 saga. With next month's column already full before the latest issue of Modern Railways has been published, I can't promise an early return to the 701 problems saga. But our Traction & Rolling stock issue and the Golden Spanners awards will see me back in full-on traction and rolling stock mode.
Welcome to the Forum. From a reader.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Not sure, with 4,430 replies already in the thread, if this has been reported yet:

I noticed today that many stations have now received wheelchair ramps marked for class 701.

DennisM

The nationwide breakdown in industrial relations ‘not the DfT’s problem’. Grant Shapps would‘ve peddled that to the general public but I’m sure First Group would laugh them out of the room.

Domh245

Established Member
Because it isn't a requirement to get rid of them, and for some operators maintaining brand consistency by having all liveries look as similar as possible is preferable to having some trains with the 'as envisaged' livery vs the 'legally allowable' livery - SWR & GWR would fall into the consistency category, TPE falls into the idealistic category.

Also worth noting (though I don't think it applies in this case) that maintaining the yellow front end still counts to make the train more visible which helps with Risk Assessments of level crossings - this is why GA's fleets retained yellow fronts despite originally being planned not to

Fazaar1889

Because it isn't a requirement to get rid of them, and for some operators maintaining brand consistency by having all liveries look as similar as possible is preferable to having some trains with the 'as envisaged' livery vs the 'legally allowable' livery - SWR & GWR would fall into the consistency category, TPE falls into the idealistic category.

Also worth noting (though I don't think it applies in this case) that maintaining the yellow front end still counts to make the train more visible which helps with Risk Assessments of level crossings - this is why GA's fleets retained yellow fronts despite originally being planned not to
Ah right. That's sad. The Overground trains and the Elizabeth line trains look beautiful without that yellow front. Same with the TransPennine Express trains