• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 701 'Aventra' trains for South Western Railway

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bumpkin

Interestingly though, 5Q20 is shown as being operated by SWR on RealTimeTrains.

The normal 5Q50/51/52 mileage paths don’t show an operator as they’re done by GBRf.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member

444001 was on a London Waterloo to Woking all stops via Hounslow and Chertsey working yesterday! The situation is starting to get weirder and weirder as we await the 701s introduction.

jackot

444001 was on a London Waterloo to Woking all stops via Hounslow and Chertsey working yesterday! The situation is starting to get weirder and weirder as we await the 701s introduction.
Could this be the first time (or one of the first times) a 444 has ended up on a service like this? Selfishly I'm all for it when it comes to comfort, but it does make me wonder how the end doors and the painfully slow door cycles would play out on a service like this - I'm amazed it kept (relatively) to time!

Meanwhile I just went past some parked up 701s - the mind boggles at this mess!

Bumpkin

Could this be the first time (or one of the first times) a 444 has been technically declassified, as first class tickets wouldn't have been available? They certainly don't usually end up on these services! Selfishly I'm all for it when it comes to comfort, but it does make me wonder how the end doors and the painfully slow door cycles would play out on a service like this - I'm amazed it kept (relatively) to time!

Meanwhile I just went past some parked up 701s - the mind boggles at this mess!
1S77 has been a booked 444 since the December 2022 timetable change. Looks as if it would serve as a route and traction refresher of the Byfleet curve.

The door cycle time of a 444/450 is accounted for in the WTT schedule as it alternates a 30sec dwell with a 1min dwell to allow for the 45sec door cycle time of the desiros.

jackot

1S77 has been a booked 444 since the December 2022 timetable change. Looks as if it would serve as a route and traction refresher of the Byfleet curve.

The door cycle time of a 444/450 is accounted for in the WTT schedule as it alternates a 30sec dwell with a 1min dwell to allow for the 45sec door cycle time of the desiros.
Oh yes, I didn't see the added dwell time.

dingdinger

I have had a quick look, seems WTT dwell times for this service are no different to others throughout the day. But yes door cycles on desiros are certainly slow.

As for traction competency I believe 444/450 are classed as the same.

Big Jumby 74

As for traction competency I believe 444/450 are classed as the same.
Quite so. Given it's the last train down that route (of the day), and where it berths (if I am correct in what I think), the unit type/formation will (likely) be a result of the requirements of the following days (a.m.) diagram for that unit. The casual observer needs to understand how the next days working (for any particular unit) may have a bearing on the previous nights last working. A 'positioning' move in old school parlance, but arranged with minimal/no extra expense, ie: via a normal service.

dingdinger

Quite so. Given it's the last train down that route (of the day), and where it berths (if I am correct in what I think), the unit type/formation will (likely) be a result of the requirements of the following days (a.m.) diagram for that unit. The casual observer needs to understand how the next days working (for any particular unit) may have a bearing on the previous nights last working. A 'positioning' move in old school parlance, but arranged with minimal/no extra expense, ie: via a normal service.
Looks as if this 5 car 444 service usually goes empties to Guildford after terminating at Woking. Then sits there for a couple of hours before going empties to Surbiton where it enters passenger service to Waterloo before forming the 05:30 service to Weymouth (does a couple of Weymouth runs then the 19.30 to Portsmouth then empties to Fratton).

If memory serves me right the 23:22 was a 707 previously before the December 2022 change or certainly was at one point before that.

pompeyfan

Established Member

It then runs ECS to Guildford to berth for the 0420 to Waterloo.

Bigfoot

Looks as if it would serve as a route and traction refresher of the Byfleet curve.

Crewed by Woking which is one of the depots least in need of a regular refresher of the Byfleet curve given their other work on weekdays and weekends, especially Sunday.

Peter Sarf

Established Member
This afternoon (15:45 on Thursday 17/08/2023) Clapham Junction hosted 701014, 701042, 701037, 701017, 701509 that I could see. I get the feeling introduction into service is getting closer !.

markle

701055 running 5Q43 tonight, which I think may be the first time it's been seen on a test run in this thread

Juniper Driver

Established Member

I remember a job we had where we worked a 444 5 car to Hounslow then empties to Fratton…That was pre-2007 though as we lost the work in January 2007.
It's also noted that 458s are not allowed in Platform 3 at Dorking.That's just come out recently.

Chilternblue

Eastleigh Depot 1500 today, 701020/701021 visible from Campbell Road, 701508 and 701036(part) visible from service road behind even number houses, hope this helps someone.

Snow1964

Established Member
These recent appearances suggest some more have moved to SWR area as they were generally at Derby or Worksop in list in post 5797

Unless some have moved away must be about 25 units plus a token number of 5cars now in third rail land. Something like 250-300 of the 750 vehicles.

Snow1964

Established Member
Does anyone know how many sets are still at Worksop or Derby.

I am guessing all the 10 car units are built, and by now all the 5car too (although wouldn't surprise me if few sets still unfinished)

It must be 5 years since first one was built, which must make it one of slowest single orders (not later options and batches) ever.

tasky

SWR telling journalists that they have now accepted 47 units and are still aiming for the first trains to run in revenue service by the end of the year

Snow1964

Established Member
SWR telling journalists that they have now accepted 47 units and are still aiming for the first trains to run in revenue service by the end of the year

Depending on how you measure it, SWR are only running about 85% of their timetable of 4 years ago, and of course intended to supplement peak hour workings by Dec 2020 (in their franchise award promises).

So unless about 15% of staff have left in 4 years, and the few percent for the growth failed to be trained, there are lot of people sitting around who could be on training runs.

I know ASLEF are operating overtime bans, but it seems very unlikely that around 20% of work is permanently covered by overtime so no training can be done.

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
Depending on how you measure it, SWR are only running about 85% of their timetable of 4 years ago, and of course intended to supplement peak hour workings by Dec 2020 (in their franchise award promises).

The franchise has long since been terminated.

So unless about 15% of staff have left in 4 years, and the few percent for the growth failed to be trained, there are lot of people sitting around who could be on training runs.

There aren’t lots of staff sat around, as proven when the has been the rest day working ban. 10% turnover of staff in a business is not unusual, there were a couple of years of no training during Covid and the headcount in the new management contract is set against the current timetable not pre-Covid timetable in line with the specified DfT cost base.

So no there aren’t lots of people sat around who could be on training runs.

Wyrleybart

Established Member
It would be interesting to know how many of those 47 units are actually "match fit" to go into public service immediately.

It has been a long and painful process but I have to admit I am far from surprised after seeing the huge orderbook filling up at Litchurch Lane. Lets hope the end of 2023 sees a large number of those forty even 701s in normal traffic.