• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 701 'Aventra' trains for South Western Railway

SWT_USER

Are you really suggesting that, uniquely, SWR is incapable of recasting timetables?! Beside which extra services ARE now needed.

But then I suppose if they're incapable of introducing new trains anything's possible...
Well, recent evidence with strikes/ short terms disruption does seem to suggest they don't have the capacity in the planning team to recast stuff even short term. If they are struggling with the day to day stuff I can't see they will be able to do a major recast.

I completely agree extra services are needed, meanwhile SWR have spent the past couple of years offloading rolling stock and reducing capacity :|

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Big Jumby 74

I can't see a recast of the timetable any time soon, even when the 701's are all in service.
Quite so. I only mentioned that as there might be some expectation that with improved acceleration and point to point timings, they (701's) would provide faster end to end journey times. Going back to the 2004 recast, some may point out that there was a degree of 'padding out' in the timetable. The most notable being the public v working time arrivals at Waterloo perhaps, where a 2 minute differential applied, although this was largely Main Line orientated, but yes, there were other areas. Using the Down Alton services is an example, with extra time approaching Woking on the DS, to allow the Down Pompey to weave DF to DS London end of Woking, before the Alton arrived, and then also in the Brookwood area, where the 450's were/are capable of a faster journey time than was planned at that time. BUT, one has to remember that (in the Down Alton scenario), Alton line services had to interact with a number of other services at Woking, Ash Vale Junction, Aldershot North Junction through to Aldershot, and then the single line/Bentley loop, whilst also allowing for a robust turn round at Alton (Timetable Performance was very high on the agenda at that time, believe me) and not to forget Waterloo, where the Alton's were concerned they were just one small part of a far wider jigsaw puzzle.

Whilst the suburban area was/is largely self contained, it is this sort of planning scenario which was equally complex within that area.

My point here being that whilst some people will have very strong views about those services which they personally use, the timetable, taken from the overall perspective, has to 'work' to reflect the wishes of every route, as far as can be accommodated, so compromises will have to be made. This is why (as someone up thread mentioned) the services today are in some cases no faster than they were when the suburban was first electrified - an era which is of much interest to me as it happens - simply because the infrastructure within the suburban, is very largely still what it was back then, so even with advanced signalling, modern ways of train operation (I don't need to list these things here) there is only so much that can be done to accelerate a train service, if it is to be of benefit to the overall majority of those wishing to use it.

Now, where did I park my Tardis........:lol:

Goldfish62

Established Member
Exactly. Even if the units stick to their correct diagrams there is very little to benefit from speeding up some trains as all the rest will very quickly be in the way.
Not true. The Windsor lines and mainline suburban will be exclusively Class 701. That was the whole point of ordering one homogenous fleet!

When the 09TS tube stock was introduced gradually on the Victoria line their performance was dialled down to match that of the inferior 67TS stock. Once the latter were fully withdrawn the full capability of the 09 Stock was unleashed.

Likewise on a number of mainline railways as has already been documented above. Why would SWR be an exception?

Big Jumby 74

Not true. The Windsor lines and mainline suburban will be exclusively Class 701. That was the whole point of ordering one homogenous fleet!
Slight confusion here perhaps. What I referred to, and Peter agreed to (I think), was that the timetabled services could not be sped up DURING the period of (701) introduction, when there are still numerous diagrams worked by 455/458 which would not be able to keep time. Once ALL old stock is gone, and 701 works everything, that is the point a speeded up timetable might be the way to go.

norbitonflyer

Established Member
Of course it's a number, otherwise it wouldn't be possible to make a comparison between rates.
There will be a curve, but numbers can be derived from it. For example (for a plot of acceleration vs speed) 0-60 time is the integral (area under the curve), maximum acceleration is the highest value that curve reaches (usually at a relatively low speed), and maximum speed is the point where the curve crosses the x axıs (acceleration = 0)

If you use a speed/time plot then acceleration at a given speed is given by the gradient, maximum acceleration being the steepest part of the curve, and distance covered is the integral (area under the curve)

When the 09TS tube stock was introduced gradually on the Victoria line their performance was dialled down to match that of the inferior 67TS stock.

Likewise on a number of mainline railways as has already been documented above.
And conversely WCML times have alteady had to be dialled down in anticipation of the non-tilt fitted 805s and 807s

Big Jumby 74

I completely agree extra services are needed
My belief is that they should get back to the (mostly 10 car) timetable that existed prior to the SWT/SWR franchise change. Towards the end of that period it was recognised that capacity had been exceeded (M. Holden's review), and performance was suffering. This I believe was largely due to the number of passengers using the service above anything else, which was causing delays, particularly the evening peak as I recall.

Broadly speaking, put that timetable back in place once all suburban services are 701 operated, and with their proposed better performance, the suburban will be back to its old (2016) timetable scenario, but with trains that allow said timetable to actually work properly with the numbers of bodies wishing to use it.

Some might say why wasn't the original 10 car suburban plan designed to be a suburban 12 car plan? I have some sympathy with that school of thought, but the answer lies with the physical restrictions on the ground at a certain station in SE1 - I will say no more!

SWT_USER

My belief is that they should get back to the (mostly 10 car) timetable that existed prior to the SWT/SWR franchise change. Towards the end of that period it was recognised that capacity had been exceeded (M. Holden's review), and performance was suffering. This I believe was largely due to the number of passengers using the service above anything else, which was causing delays, particularly the evening peak as I recall.

Broadly speaking, put that timetable back in place once all suburban services are 701 operated, and with their proposed better performance, the suburban will be back to its old (2016) timetable scenario, but with trains that allow said timetable to actually work properly with the numbers of bodies wishing to use it.

Some might say why wasn't the original 10 car suburban plan designed to be a suburban 12 car plan? I have some sympathy with that school of thought, but the answer lies with the physical restrictions on the ground at a certain station in SE1 - I will say no more!
Agree - the 2016 timetable would be a vast improvement on the current situation. I think (off peak at least) the 2016 timetable was largely unchanged since the major rewrite in the mid 2000's.

Despite passenger numbers being far higher now than when that timetable was introduced, service cuts are still the order of the day. I would like to think the 701's will improve the situation but I'd be very surprised if the off peak frequency and later evening trains returned.

Gag Halfrunt

Same with me yesterday as it pulled into Richmond on the time of the already announced Reading service!

Today I saw 701 043 running as 5Q22 stop at North Sheen at 1405. The doors didn't open, but there were barriers behind them so they can be opened in testing. The fast to Waterloo (2U38) had passed about five minutes before it.

Peter Sarf

Established Member
Are you really suggesting that, uniquely, SWR is incapable of recasting timetables?! Beside which extra services ARE now needed.

But then I suppose if they're incapable of introducing new trains anything's possible...
A timetable recast is a massive task. You have all the effects of the changes you want impacting other services. Even gets as far as any change you make to a Waterlooto to Exeter service will impact GWR because of interractions at various points Salisbury and onwards. Then SWR have Southern to share tracks with as well. Because the railways are running so close to capacity nowadays (its temporarily eased of with Covid) there is often no slack to absorb changes - deliberate or due to disruption.
Quite so. I only mentioned that as there might be some expectation that with improved acceleration and point to point timings, they (701's) would provide faster end to end journey times. Going back to the 2004 recast, some may point out that there was a degree of 'padding out' in the timetable. The most notable being the public v working time arrivals at Waterloo perhaps, where a 2 minute differential applied, although this was largely Main Line orientated, but yes, there were other areas. Using the Down Alton services is an example, with extra time approaching Woking on the DS, to allow the Down Pompey to weave DF to DS London end of Woking, before the Alton arrived, and then also in the Brookwood area, where the 450's were/are capable of a faster journey time than was planned at that time. BUT, one has to remember that (in the Down Alton scenario), Alton line services had to interact with a number of other services at Woking, Ash Vale Junction, Aldershot North Junction through to Aldershot, and then the single line/Bentley loop, whilst also allowing for a robust turn round at Alton (Timetable Performance was very high on the agenda at that time, believe me) and not to forget Waterloo, where the Alton's were concerned they were just one small part of a far wider jigsaw puzzle.

Whilst the suburban area was/is largely self contained, it is this sort of planning scenario which was equally complex within that area.

My point here being that whilst some people will have very strong views about those services which they personally use, the timetable, taken from the overall perspective, has to 'work' to reflect the wishes of every route, as far as can be accommodated, so compromises will have to be made. This is why (as someone up thread mentioned) the services today are in some cases no faster than they were when the suburban was first electrified - an era which is of much interest to me as it happens - simply because the infrastructure within the suburban, is very largely still what it was back then, so even with advanced signalling, modern ways of train operation (I don't need to list these things here) there is only so much that can be done to accelerate a train service, if it is to be of benefit to the overall majority of those wishing to use it.

Now, where did I park my Tardis........:lol:
Ah.... The bigger picture.

But any speed up is not going to happen soon. Only after the services are all 701s and have bedded in and then only if the capacity is needed.
Slight confusion here perhaps. What I referred to, and Peter agreed to (I think), was that the timetabled services could not be sped up DURING the period of (701) introduction, when there are still numerous diagrams worked by 455/458 which would not be able to keep time. Once ALL old stock is gone, and 701 works everything, that is the point a speeded up timetable might be the way to go.
Yes. It is going to be a lot easier eventually - when there is only one train type on the route OR set of routes.

TEW

Established Member
Wednesday next week appears to be the current date for a 701 in service.

RichSwitch

Wednesday next week appears to be the current date for a 701 in service.
Is this SWR information, or something that’s been seen in RTT?

I’d think it’s unlikely that any dispute with the unions will be resolved before the New Year, despite DfT’s deadline for introduction by the end of the year.

A soft launch is not a launch, just as one swallow does not make a summer. In fact I prefer the term ‘pretend launch’ because that is what a soft launch is.

TEW

Established Member
It's SWR information. My understanding is that the issues with the RMT are close to being resolved.

D365

Veteran Member
It's SWR information. My understanding is that the issues with the RMT are close to being resolved.
Best I’m aware, it’s a more specific [one-off] issue that lead to the postponment to next week.

norbitonflyer

Established Member
Is this SWR information, or something that’s been seen in RTT?

A soft launch is not a launch, just as one swallow does not make a summer. In fact I prefer the term ‘pretend launch’ because that is what a soft launch is.
Not in RTT yet.

Surely a soft launch means just putting them into service when ready, without a great fanfare.

Snow1964

Established Member
But any speed up is not going to happen soon. Only after the services are all 701s and have bedded in and then only if the capacity is needed.
Why would a speed up depend on if capacity is needed.

If anything should be reverse, faster trains likely to attract more custom, which reduces spare capacity, rather than speed up be conditional on capacity needed

Established Member
Like what? LNER now run Azumas to tighter timings than the hauled stock. GWR now run IETs to much tighter timings than the HSTs. Thameslink timetable 700s through the core on tighter times than 319s worked through. Greater Anglia 720s I'm not sure about, but they're simply far more likely to make up delay time than the 317s and 321s would have now. Suggesting the 701s should be pulled out of stations cautiously to save energy is daft, and isn't actually guaranteed to definitely save energy anyway.
LNER still run same timetable/timings as when mk4/hat were around, the abandoned timetable would have put in place Azuma timings.

norbitonflyer

Established Member
Faster trains clear a section quicker, whiuch means you can get more trains through a section in the same time.

And a faster train can do a round trip, the sooner it can start another - meaning you can do more round trips in a day with the same number of trains.

So one way to increase capacity is to speed up the trains.

(Remember how the 50mph speed limits in the aftermath of Hatfield resulted in frequencies having to be reduced because the traisn simply couldn't get to the end of the line in time to make thgeir next round trip).

Peter Sarf

Established Member

If anything should be reverse, faster trains likely to attract more custom, which reduces spare capacity, rather than speed up be conditional on capacity needed
Should be but it is not often in the UK that you will see capacity running ahead of demand !.

Dan G

Best I’m aware, it’s a more specific [one-off] issue that lead to the postponment to next week.
. I do hope they enter service next week.

We can drop the "soft launch" terminology if wanted. Begin running, enter passenger service... Can just call a spade a spade.

TEW

Established Member
Not in RTT yet.

Surely a soft launch means just putting them into service when ready, without a great fanfare.
The same paths as had appeared in RTT for Thursday and Friday this week appears to be the plan. Running Wednesday to Friday next week.

Established Member
Attached below is a screen grab of the latest front cover of RAIL magazine, saying 701s enter service, do they know something we all don’t? I read it purely from the front cover that they have entered service.

Attachments

• IMG_1473.png
    IMG_1473.png
    4.5 MB · Views: 189

norbitonflyer

Established Member
When does this release? Might grab a copy
Official publication date was today, but my copy arrived in Monday's post. The article doesn't add anything we don't know already. "Poised" to undertake a soft launch "some time" in December, "it is now thought" that a single unit will run off peak on the Windsor route.

The only new information is that "it is now thought" that SWR is changing its plans for the refurbished 458s, although where they will be used if not the Portsmoyuth line is not suggested.

But what do they know? In the same issue the Crossword requires one of the answers to be "SMOWPLOUGH" (there is no "N" in the anagram for the intersecting clue) and captions one of TfWs new tram-trains as a "Class 358")