• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 730 LNR & WMR Delivery/test Updates

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
The LNWR ones are based at Bletchley so keeping them on MKC/Tring makes sense. The 350/2s were originally ordered for these routes (explains the 3+2 seating) and 37 350/2s to 36 730s isn't a coincidence.

LNWR unsuprisingly want their new trains on their longest (IMO their flagship) route, do London to Crewe gets mentioned though I'm doubtful it will get much 730 operation.
Yes, 10 car and 5 car operation for the full Trent work. The 12 car working from Crewe from December is in anticipation of this.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jhy44

So capacity on those will decrease from 4 car 350s, then?

I honestly don’t think it’s too bad. The lighting is warmer and more subtle on both the 196s and 730s than most new trains, with the likes of the 800s, 700s etc. being truly unsettling.

There's definitely been a trend towards colder/bluer lighting on trains, I'm not sure why.
I agree that the 700s are bad, probably on a par with these new WMT ones.

But I don't think the 800s are that bad; they're certainly colder/bluer than the HSTs they replaced, but they are nowhere near as bad as the 700s/730s. They don't trigger my migraines, which is a good barometer of the intensity/frequency of lighting.

RealTrains07

Established Member
So capacity on those will decrease from 4 car 350s, then?
Depends what happens with the walsall to wolverhampton route. If it ends up being reattached to the crewe via stoke route then it may retain 350s instead of 730s?

Chase line however it is for definite 730/0s on the route so in that case its probably back to being 3 cars as it was when 323s operated the route

Peter Sarf

Established Member
There's definitely been a trend towards colder/bluer lighting on trains, I'm not sure why.
I agree that the 700s are bad, probably on a par with these new WMT ones.

But I don't think the 800s are that bad; they're certainly colder/bluer than the HSTs they replaced, but they are nowhere near as bad as the 700s/730s. They don't trigger my migraines, which is a good barometer of the intensity/frequency of lighting.
Nice new LEDs in newer stock compared to Incandescent or Fluorescent in older stock I suspect. They can be brighter(also colder/blue colour) whilst using less electricity but it would be nice to not be brighter and thus save even more electricity.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Depends what happens with the walsall to wolverhampton route. If it ends up being reattached to the crewe via stoke route then it may retain 350s instead of 730s?

Chase line however it is for definite 730/0s on the route so in that case its probably back to being 3 cars as it was when 323s operated the route
323s never operated on the Chase Line other than for a couple services a week. Went from 170/153 to 350s when the big switch happened.

323s were regulars on the Walsall - Wolverhampton stoppers

JW4

323s never operated on the Chase Line other than for a couple services a week. Went from 170/153 to 350s when the big switch happened.

323s were regulars on the Walsall - Wolverhampton stoppers
They also did Birmingham International stoppers and the occasional Liverpool service under London Midland

hozza94

with 2tph Euston - Birmingham and the St Albans shuttle left for the 50x 350s?

That sounds like too much usage for the 36x 730s and not enough for the 350s, so what's incorrect there?
There is also the Rugeley to Birmingham International Stoppers. Are these staying as 350s or moving to 730s? 730/0 or 730/2?

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
There is also the Rugeley to Birmingham International Stoppers. Are these staying as 350s or moving to 730s? 730/0 or 730/2?
They'll be 730/0s I believe, hence not included in my discussion of the green LNR-branded fleet. :)

SolomonSouth

On Moderation
Don't quote me on this, but I believe where a 323 reaches 60mph a 730 is doing something like 72mph.
A 323's rough acceleration profile (taken from rough RPS archives measurements):
~17 seconds@30mph
~36 seconds@50mph
~49 seconds@60mph
~72 seconds@75mph
~82 seconds@81mph
~100 seconds@90mph.

If we compare using the 720 (very similar to 730), we get this:
~16 seconds@30mph
~32 seconds@50mph
~43 seconds@60mph
~64 seconds@75mph
~73 seconds@81mph
~88 seconds@90mph.

So unless the 730 has superior acceleration to the 720, the acceleration difference is pretty minimal, and they would need to have vastly superior braking capabilities to make up any time in the schedules.

JW4

Also Walsall-Wolverhampton will definitely be 3 cars as the likes of Witton and Perry Barr only have 4 car long platforms.

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
Oh no! I expect that will take the Birmingham - Shrewsbury train in the evening from "Busy but you can still get a seat" to "rammed". Bah.
Whilst the via Stoke won't run past Stafford, the 2nd Liverpool will run during 'peak hours' so won't be any less trains really from Wolves

Established Member
Whilst the via Stoke won't run past Stafford, the 2nd Liverpool will run during 'peak hours' so won't be any less trains really from Wolves
Considerable loss of capacity as 1x8-car Liverpool & 1-4-car Crewe goes to 2x4-car Liverpool though, and a 15 min gap New St-Wolves before the mentioned Shrewsbury (22 mins for not a stopper)

AJDesiro

Considerable loss of capacity as 1x8-car Liverpool & 1-4-car Crewe goes to 2x4-car Liverpool though, and a 15 min gap New St-Wolves before the mentioned Shrewsbury (22 mins for not a stopper)
The loss of capacity is only temporary, though, since Liverpool is planned to be 5.730/2 at 2tph (all day saturdays, peak time weekdays, it's unknown whether 2tph will extend to weekdays all day), which would be the same as 12.350 at 1tph.

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
Yes, but the via Stoke picks almost nobody up at Stafford and Penkridge, a few at Wolves who don't realise it goes via Tame Bridge, and a handful there. Those who get on at stoke will likely catch the XC rather than change so it's hardly a huge hit to actual pax numbers

The_Train

Established Member
Yes, but the via Stoke picks almost nobody up at Stafford and Penkridge, a few at Wolves who don't realise it goes via Tame Bridge, and a handful there. Those who get on at stoke will likely catch the XC rather than change so it's hardly a huge hit to actual pax numbers
It doesn't pick many up at Stafford because it's pathed about 5 minutes after the Liverpool-Birmingham calls - is it something like the ex Liverpool is xx:39 and the ex Crewe stopper is xx:44 at Stafford? And LNR sell it as 2 trains per hour from Stafford to Brum :lol:

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
It doesn't pick many up at Stafford because it's pathed about 5 minutes after the Liverpool-Birmingham calls - is it something like the ex Liverpool is xx:39 and the ex Crewe stopper is xx:44 at Stafford? And LNR sell it as 2 trains per hour from Stafford to Brum :lol:
Yep, that's correct

HST125Scorton

Could anyone confirm to me what the plans are regarding the 730s? So many stuff going about I'm lost. Any help is always appreciated.

Crewe-Stafford-Crewe [1tph]
Birmingham-Liverpool-Birmingham [SX 1tph with 2tph Peak & SO All Day 2tph]
Birmingham-Rugeley-Birmingham [2tph]
Crewe-London-Crewe [1tph]