• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 730 LNR & WMR Delivery/test Updates

Established Member
Being (hideously) orange - how did that get an easement from ORR/RSSB to not have a safe working line aka a 'Cant rail' ??

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
Doesn't the white line offer that?
Cant rail is supposed to be orange. Just concerns me that long term there's a slippery slope where things like this are no longer considered important by the RSSB until there's an accident.

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
Cant rail is supposed to be orange. Just concerns me that long term there's a slippery slope where things like this are no longer considered important by the RSSB until there's an accident.
Choice of colours have changed over the years, given that the fly doors are no longer required to be yellow, does the change of colour to the Cant Rail really matter more?

Surely as long as it's easily defined/contrasted it will still be obvious to those who would need to know where it is

zwk500

Veteran Member
Is it specifically being Orange important? Surely just being a clearly visible colour is all it needs to be.

AJDesiro

I seem to recall that AWC’s livery has a slight bit of white for the cant rail too on the orange parts of the livery, very much a more common thing now, as long as the line is clearly visible and well contrasted, I fail to see an issue.

Last edited:

rogercov

Just saw this coming through Coventry on way to Bletchley:
Too far away to see number but could be 730024

Attachments

• 20230501_122917.jpg
    20230501_122917.jpg
    329 KB · Views: 149

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Saw it in the platforms at Stafford earlier. Looks reasonable, though window alignment is a bit lazy. There appears to be a 1+1 seated section which I suspect will be the prize!

rogercov

If the one seen at Stafford was 024, then the one I saw at Coventry was not.
The Stafford one is running to/from Nuneaton all day, as one of them did last week.

1D54

Are there any of these usually parked up at Crewe that can be seen from the WCML?

The_Train

Established Member
Are there any of these usually parked up at Crewe that can be seen from the WCML?
As far as I know there are only the 2x LNWR units (101 & 103) parked at Crewe Arriva Traincare - both have recently been sat next to the WCML running lines so easily visible (although I've not been that way in a few weeks)

Elecman

Established Member
As far as I know there are only the 2x LNWR units (101 & 103) parked at Crewe Arriva Traincare - both have recently been sat next to the WCML running lines so easily visible (although I've not been that way in a few weeks)
They are still there

AJDesiro

730004+730024 were doing the Stafford-Nuneaton runs today. They have just returned to Oxley (saw this on the Bushbury Railcam).

Therefore it was two other units that went to Bletchley today.
Most likely heading to Bletchley for driver training duties, the paths for training between Bletchley-Northampton-Rugby and back are beginning to appear it seems.

Liam L

The_Train

Established Member
I thought that too but it was definitely moving at quite a good lick
Definitely good to see them back out, but I won't panic too much about getting my final 350/2's just yet considering no more of the LNWR 730's are currently coming off the production line

Liam L

Definitely good to see them back out, but I won't panic too much about getting my final 350/2's just yet considering no more of the LNWR 730's are currently coming off the production line
Someone correct me if I’m wrong but I think the priority is getting the 730/0s built, that’s what it seems like anyway.

AJDesiro

Someone correct me if I’m wrong but I think the priority is getting the 730/0s built, that’s what it seems like anyway.
I do wonder if after 730036 is built they start on the 730/1 construction, considering that the original order only had 36 /0s, building the extra /0s at a later date.

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
730034 on 5Q04 stops at top end Tamworth opens doors and punters set off up platform and some nearly boarded but just managed to get doors closed in time!

Must be close to introduction?