Class 745 Stadler FLIRTs (Intercity Trains)

Discussion in 'Traction & Rolling Stock' started by Railperf, 4 Sep 2019.

1. robert west

robert west Member

stock from the cancelled 1248 Braintree running as 5z00 still at forest gate junction

2. robert west

robert west Member

stock of 1248 Braintree running as 5z00
    still at forest gate junction was meant to be going to Liverpool street according to ga twitter but may have detrained at forest gate station

3. F Great Eastern

F Great Eastern Established Member

4. F Great Eastern

5. samuelmorris

samuelmorris Established Member

Is that for the people that didn't fit onto the 321? A 4-car doesn't seem much to cater for a close to peak time Norwich working.

6. LAX54

LAX54 Established Member

Issues with the assistance, seems started detraining at about 1330, should be completed by 1430, also Freight stuck all over the place as there is no through route for Stratford. hoping they can get to ICS under it's own power albeit slowly.

7. trebor79

trebor79 Established Member

Oh dear, that's a bit of bad luck. I suppose one of the new trains was bound to break down at some point. No doubt there will be a bit of a fuss in the local media.

8. robert west

robert west Member

3z00 arrived at Liverpool street platform 12 at approx. 1455

9. robert west

robert west Member

1z99 moved the failed 745 at 1510 hours

10. LAX54

LAX54 Established Member

745 moved under it's own power (just) towards Maryland, then Temple Mills, 1Z99 (loco) will run to ICS.

11. LAX54

LAX54 Established Member

not sure the rescue went that well tho

12. F Great Eastern

Article here:
    https://www.edp24.co.uk/news/norwic...down-greater-anglia-train-by-ladder-1-6487085

Seems to suggest that the train that pulled up to transfer people onto couldn't be used for a while and there was a lengthy delay before people could actually get off the FLIRT.

There's widespread disruption at the moment on all lines, the Southend branch looks badly hit, lots of short forms, cancellations and generally a lot of stuff not where it should be.

Apparently the problem was power related and they had problem coupling anything to rescue it so the 37 wasn't used in the end and they managed to somehow get the 745 to limp back at 5mph out of the way.

Last edited: 28 Jan 2020
  13. RailWonderer

RailWonderer Member

Which one was it today? I was targeting the 15:00 last week before it got cancelled and that was 007.

14. rdlover777

rdlover777 Member

why couldn't they of just got a 755 to couple from behind and push it?

15. Astro_Orbiter

Astro_Orbiter Member

Because the 745's lack any form of coupling other than mechanical only.

16. trebor79

trebor79 Established Member

Probably lots of reasons.
    Can a 745 and 755 work in the multiple?
    The 755s aren't cleared for multiple working in service yet. I don't think the 745s are and nor are they planned to be.
    Highly likely a 745 + 755 combo would block junctions etc at wherever it stopped to detain.

17. 87015

87015 Established Member

745010 complete collapse, sent Thunderbird but no working couplings on the Stadler.

18. camflyer

camflyer Member

Geoff Marshall riding 007:

19. rdlover777

rdlover777 Member

it was 010

20. fat_boy_pete

fat_boy_pete Member

I think it (007) was working 1p53, the 16.30 up from Norwich. It passed Colchester at 17.30, so that's still allowed out to play, despite the disgrace of its sibling.

21. simple simon

simple simon Member

Thanks, I look forward to this.

22. simple simon

simple simon Member

I passed the failed 745 on an eastbound 345 which ran non-stop Stratford - Ilford

I tried to film it, to my dismay my camcorder conked out (not from a flat battery) shortly before I reached the 745. I got it going again but ended up only filming part of the broken down 745.

At Stratford I saw Mk3 IC trains making station stops at platforms 5 & 8 - where there is cross platform interchange with Central line tube trains. I filmed this on platforms 6 + 8 which was very crowded with punters waiting for a different GA train that was in the queue to call at platform 8.

An added complication for the GEML is that the Goblin route closure caused by a derailment a few days ago means that Goblin goods trains are being diverted via the GEML, Stratford and the North London Line.

I travelled on the NLL earlier today too, and all in all saw a lot more goods trains today than is usual, and many more types of goods train than I've seen for a while. One of these was stranded at Stratford platform 10a.

Last edited: 28 Jan 2020
  23. Railperf

Railperf Established Member

when you think that HST's with their non-standard couplers could be assisted by more or less any spare locomotive (except steam) , it is bad that something could not rescue this and pull it out of the way. Whatever the cause, a better recovery plan than this is needed.

24. TheEdge

TheEdge Established Member

Not entirely fair. The HST emergency coupler is essentially a big metal bar that can be hooked to whatever rolls up.

The eternal issue here (and it's nothing to do with 745s) is that there hasn't been a standard coupler used on the railways since the screw link. Everything since has been different classes and builders having different couplers and the ability to universally rescue each other is impossible. Maybe the DfT/RSSB/RAIB (whoever this would fall under) should specify/have specified that all stock should use a Dellner (or what eve) coupler at "xx" mms above the railhead. But they didnt so another generation of trains unable to assist each other is what we have

25. Railperf

Railperf Established Member

What isn't fair is for passengers to be stuck on a crippled train for 5 hours under these circumstances.
    Right now - there are a lot of passengers who wish there was a big metal bar that could be attached and drag that train to its destination. Being stuck for 5 hours with limited access to food/drink and toilets is not acceptable. I've been on a Class 360 that lost power due to a tree hitting overhead lines. We lost lights, aircon and loos after 20 minutes - at night. And there were no refreshment facilities on board. This too is unacceptable.
    If a system cannot be found to rescue these quickly -within an hour maximum - they should be taken out of service until it can be proved that such a rescue can be done.

26. LAX54

LAX54 Established Member

So it was Geoff Marshalll's fault for the video !
    As for assistance, of course you can go back to BR days for the newer stock not wishing to be associated with any other type ! all this super duper coupling stuff, bring back screw and / or buck-eye!

27. LAX54

LAX54 Established Member

simples, not permitted, and too long, currently a 755 cannot even assist a 755, although of course they have done very recently...more than once

28. Alfie1014

Alfie1014 Member

I note this happened very close to Forest Gate neutral section and there rumours suggesting that the Stadlers don’t like some neutral sections, Manningtree on the main line in particular? Due to the nature of the delay will RAIB be investigating I wonder? At least it was daylight and dry not like last week with the ‘curious incident of the 321s and the deer in the nighttime’!

29. dk1

dk1 Established Member

I was so chuffed with the ITV local news. The guy they interviewed who'd been delayed hours was so nice & chilled out. Said he'd not noticed anyone getting angry & that the traincrew where very good. Bet the media where fuming :lol:

30. Astro_Orbiter

Astro_Orbiter Member

Like I said, 745's have no electrical connection box, so can only mechanically couple to anything else. No other reason than that I'm afraid, they simply were not designed to work in multiple at all.