• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 810 for East Midlands Railway Construction/Introduction Updates

Lewisham2221

Established Member
When did it move to Doncaster?
I'm assuming this was it, out Monday night, back Wednesday night

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

The_Train

Established Member
I'm assuming this was it, out Monday night, back Wednesday night

Good spot :) thanks for confirming

Aspen90

2025 now… They’ll be old tech before they’re on the rails!

Anno @Anno93160824
·
17h
@EastMidRailway
when are the new aurora trains being brought into service

East Midlands Railway (EMR) @EastMidRailway
Hi, after testing and training, this is likely to be early 2025, but we don't have a definite time frame yet ^DS
9:49 PM · Dec 29, 2023

Last edited:

Established Member
Rumours say that if the lease has expired they'll go for scrap. Cut out the middle man.
Should of saved that for April 1st.

810001 due to move to Hitachi Merchant Park next week to start main line testing between Darlington and York.

QSK19

Should of saved that for April 1st.

810001 due to move to Hitachi Merchant Park next week to start main line testing between Darlington and York.
I’m sure most people will have forgotten by 1st April; so it could still be used :lol:

Good news about the mainline testing commencement - hopefully some videos with pan up operation will follow!

JonathanH

Veteran Member
EMR themselves this morning on their twitter account to passengers asking when the dirty and disgraceful 222’s will be replaced!
https://twitter.com/EastMidRailway/status/1740852559894483289
Anno @Anno93160824
·
17h
@EastMidRailway
when are the new aurora trains being brought into service

East Midlands Railway (EMR) @EastMidRailway
Hi, after testing and training, this is likely to be early 2025, but we don't have a definite time frame yet ^DS
9:49 PM · Dec 29, 2023
·

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
So the 810s for EMR are likely to enter service in early 2025 but also what will happen with the 222s once they’ve been replaced?
It’s been asked many many times and the answer still is that no one knows yet, but you may enjoy a browse of the general in the Class 222 Future threads over in Speculative Discussion which I will link :)

A few insiders (quite a few at other TOCs, mind) seem to think they’ll leave EMR for ScotRail, but nothing’s been confirmed so best to take it as messroom gossip until something is. :D

Killingworth

Established Member
In October 2020 the Aurora was announced, due to start testing in mid 2022 and enter service in early 2023. By June 2022 route training was to be late 2023 and 2024 entry into service.

All in service by late 2025 is still possible, about 2 years late.

They will be on diesel through Leicester for some time and at least 5,, maybe nearer 10, years to Sheffield. Chris Grayling's decision to order bi-modes hasn't been so daft after all!

Of course the delayed introduction has a knock on effect for those wanting to make use of cascaded 222s.

Roger B

In October 2020 the Aurora was announced, due to start testing in mid 2022 and enter service in early 2023. By June 2022 route training was to be late 2023 and 2024 entry into service.

All in service by late 2025 is still possible, about 2 years late.

They will be on diesel through Leicester for some time and at least 5,, maybe nearer 10, years to Sheffield. Chris Grayling's decision to order bi-modes hasn't been so daft after all!

Of course the delayed introduction has a knock on effect for those wanting to make use of cascaded 222s.
Yes, but aren't Grayling's decisions the primary cause of the extended delay in electrifying through Leicester and to Sheffield, rather than some wise and insightful precautions?

Killingworth

Established Member
Yes, but aren't Grayling's decisions the primary cause of the extended delay in electrifying through Leicester and to Sheffield, rather than some wise and insightful precautions?

Chickens and eggs, but at least we should have some new trains running in service next year.

QSK19

However, his decision not being as daft as it seemed at the time was a mere fluke. As reflected by previous response to your post, his decisions were the cause of the ridiculous U turning (and U turning on the U turning) pertaining to MML electrification.

And before people start getting excited at the prospect of a Labour government suddenly making things better, let’s not forget that, under the last Labour government, only 10 miles of railway were electrified (source, page 3: https://researchbriefings.files.parliament.uk/documents/SN05907/SN05907.pdf ). I can’t see a (what looks like invitable) Labour government suddenly approving and getting on with full electrification.

Back OT, introduction of the 810s in 2025, even when taking mitigating factors into account, is quite frankly ridiculous and unacceptable.

Aspen90

However, his decision not being as daft as it seemed at the time was a mere fluke. As reflected by previous response to your post, his decisions were the cause of the ridiculous U turning (and U turning on the U turning) pertaining to MML electrification.

And before people start getting excited at the prospect of a Labour government suddenly making things better, let’s not forget that, under the last Labour government, only 10 miles of railway were electrified (source, page 3: https://researchbriefings.files.parliament.uk/documents/SN05907/SN05907.pdf ). I can’t see a (what looks like invitable) Labour government suddenly approving and getting on with full electrification.

Back OT, introduction of the 810s in 2025, even when taking mitigating factors into account, is quite frankly ridiculous and unacceptable.
Agree. If it was an airline they’d have dropped the order (which EMR are entitled to do at this point as per the contract) and ordered elsewhere. Same old story, Avanti and LNER prioritised and the poor relation the MML is neglected again. Just look at the order for 10 CAF tri-modes LNER have placed. They have money thrown at them!

Benjwri

Established Member
And before people start getting excited at the prospect of a Labour government suddenly making things better, let’s not forget that, under the last Labour government, only 10 miles of railway were electrified
Although I agree with the message that we should expect a labour government to suddenly start electrifying the railways.

However your statement I would say is wholly unfair. If your counting projects completed during their government, you can't forget HS1 was completed. However its also worth mentioning the Labour government announced the Great Western Mainline electrification, started construction of the Elizabeth Line and were the ones to start the initial assessments into the possibility of electrifying the MML and constructing HS2.

It's not entirely fair to judge a government on what its priorities might be based on its actions more than 14 years ago, when the world and global priorities were very different.

Mikey C

Established Member
I remember when the concern was that NR wouldn't be able to increase the line speeds of the existing southern MML electrification fast enough, and that the 810s would initially be restricted to 100mph or would have to operate on diesel under the wires...

duffield

Established Member
I remember when the concern was that NR wouldn't be able to increase the line speeds of the existing southern MML electrification fast enough, and that the 810s would initially be restricted to 100mph or would have to operate on diesel under the wires...
So is it correct to say that the southern MML OHLE upgrades will all be completed, and the OHLE will be live as far as Wigston South before the first 810 runs in passenger service - i.e. the first 810 passenger services will definitely be running on OHLE all the way from St. Pancras to Wigston South?

Or is there still some doubt about this sequence?

Aspen90

So is it correct to say that the southern MML OHLE upgrades will all be completed, and the OHLE will be live as far as Wigston South before the first 810 runs in passenger service - i.e. the first 810 passenger services will definitely be running on OHLE all the way from St. Pancras to Wigston South?

I believe this to be the case - now, what with the further delay. They’re throwing the OLE up fast at the minute. I was talking to the ECO recently and the plan is for wires up to Wigston South junction, and then the gap for Leicester due to the low bridge but I was surprised when they said it won’t restart until Syston!

Roast Veg

Established Member
It will certainly simplify the 810 introduction if they can just do a single power changeover at Wigston from the get-go.

AndrewJM70

2025 now? Every year that goes by they get delayed by another year. Totally unacceptable especially given the clapped out stock that is running at the moment.

QSK19

It will certainly simplify the 810 introduction if they can just do a single power changeover at Wigston from the get-go.
Indeed, I suppose that is the good thing about the delay to 2025 - hopefully the OHLE works will have been completed in order to involve a single power switchover each way.

Mikey C

Established Member
2025 now? Every year that goes by they get delayed by another year. Totally unacceptable especially given the clapped out stock that is running at the moment.
The 222s are only clapped out because they've been allowed to get that way.

It does feel that the MML has a double whammy at the moment, of 222s allowed to get shabby because they will soon be departing, and the 360s which the previous owner allowed to get shabby (and for which the promised refurbishment hasn't happened), as neither are old stock.

Established Member

Also depends on wiring upgrades south of Bedford allowing up to 125mph operation (there isn’t much 125 but most of the mileage on the fasts is >100 on that section of the route).

The initial plan was to run the 810s on diesel under the wires south of Bedford, to avoid constraining the operating speed of the new fleet, albeit with the slippage of the 810 introduction it might now be that the wires will be upgraded in time for their introduction.

@Bald Rick may know the latest on wiring upgrade timescales.

Last edited:

Supercoss

810s will run on overhead power from St Pancras to just North of Cricklewood station the run on Diesel power to Bedford in down direction , into London Up , pan down at Bedford until just North of Cricklewood , 5miles 30ch to be exact where line speed changes from 95 to 110 mph with a 100 mph restriction for EMU.
ApCo Balise ( automatic power control) gubbins and signage will be installed to mark raise/ lower pan area.
this will be the case until catenary is upgraded, around 200 locations require adjustment for higher speed electric operation.
St Pancras will be diesel free.
Most likely first revenue use of 810 will be before this work is completed even with some large weekend possessions in 2024 .