• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 810 for East Midlands Railway Construction/Introduction Updates

LowLevel

Established Member
Rumours that 810001 has sustained serious wheelflats at Old Dalby, it’s stopped all testing until they figure out how to sort the wheel flats. Dalby does not have a wheel lathe.
Maybe it'll be visiting Etches Park sooner than anyone expected then! There or Toton will be the nearest lathes.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Master29

Established Member
To be fair, even when EMR buffet bars were in use, there was nothing more than trolley-fare in them. As much as I appreciate a proper, well-stocked buffet, since that was never the case anyway, then I don't mind hugely.
Indeed, as we aren't talking of anything new as such here this is not the same as e.g GWR.

QSK19

Rumours that 810001 has sustained serious wheelflats at Old Dalby, it’s stopped all testing until they figure out how to sort the wheel flats. Dalby does not have a wheel lathe.
Oh dear, not a positive development at all. Doesn’t bode well for reliability when they enter service.

Killingworth

Established Member
Years in EMR’s case. Based on progress up to now, I would guess that the 810s won’t be in service until 2025. I believe that would make them 2.5-3 years overdue? I would defer on this to EMR insiders who frequent the forum; but I fully get that they are sworn to confidentiality and can’t put most information in the public domain.

There are, of course, circumstances behind the long length of time (eg the significant difference between these and the 80x requiring the whole suite of testing/certification) and that the 222s have no confirmed home to go to post-EMR (so there is no rush to get rid of them); but 2.5-3 years does seem a long time nevertheless.
At an EMR event that must have been at least a couple of years ago I suggested that 2023 was optimistic and that it would be 2025 before they were all in service. Without any inside specific knowledge to back up my opinion I was assured I was far too pessimistic.

I'd like to think they'll still get a few into service in 2024 but all by the end of 2025 it certainly is beginning to look too optimistic.

QSK19

At an EMR event that must have been at least a couple of years ago I suggested that 2023 was optimistic and that it would be 2025 before they were all in service. Without any inside specific knowledge to back up my opinion I was assured I was far too pessimistic.

I'd like to think they'll still get a few into service in 2024 but all by the end of 2025 it certainly is beginning to look too optimistic.
I hope you had a wager on that? A ride on the first 810 service maybe? :D

AndrewJM70

An off-duty EMR train manager I happened to be sitting near on a train out of St Pancras told me that the first units will be ready in April 2024 but that the problem is more the crew training which has been held up because of the strikes. It is realistically likely to be Summer/Autumn which is also what I read in a recent issue of Modern Railways.

Established Member
They
An off-duty EMR train manager I happened to be sitting near on a train out of St Pancras told me that the first units will be ready in April 2024 but that the problem is more the crew training which has been held up because of the strikes. It is realistically likely to be Summer/Autumn which is also what I read in a recent issue of Modern Railways.
They dont have any units to train the crews up with, so regardless of strikes, they can’t get any training done.

Unit 001 is a Hitachi test unit at Old Dalby.
Part of 002 is in Italy for climate testing.
From Unit 003 onwards these are in production at Newton Aycliffe.

They need another unit at Old Dalby for multiple working tests and everything that’s goes with running 2 units together.

Add in all the fault free running and I don’t see April being a realistic date .

Driver trainer training isn’t planned until Feb/March according to Hitachi insiders, although EMR had that originally planned for late Nov/early Dec.

Every date that Hitachi are meant to meet for EMR, just keeps slipping later and later.

Established Member
They dont have any units to train the crews up with, so regardless of strikes, they can’t get any training done.

The point is more that ASLEF haven’t got a training agreement as yet, which could prove problematic, albeit hopefully the dispute will be resolved imminently and allow this to progress.

August 2024 is floating around as a target for service, but that’s obviously subject to a. Enough units and b. Enough crews for initial diagrams.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
A single diagram from Leicester or Derby to Loughborough on the 30th of December 2024, anybody?!

Established Member
A single diagram from Leicester or Derby to Loughborough on the 30th of December 2024, anybody?!
How? No units are accepted by EMR.
810001 is going to Etches Park for wheel turning due to several server flats.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
How? No units are accepted by EMR.
810001 is going to Etches Park for wheel turning due to several server flats.

It was in jest for a soft launch next year, given rumours of a early-2025 introduction have circled on here.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
The New Years' TPE-MK3 joke is becoming really quite overdone now. The 810s are miles off, and EMR have not yet widely publicised or promised a 2024 introduction anyway, so such an obligation is not required.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
The New Years' TPE-MK3 joke is becoming really quite overdone now.
Yes, although it isn't the only time it has happened. SWT did something similar with the 707s, before their franchise ended.

Hopefully such clauses aren't so prevalent in more recent contracts.

The 810s are miles off, and EMR have not yet widely publicised or promised a 2024 introduction anyway, so such an obligation is not required.
I don't think that a contractual obligation has to be publicised to be an obligation. December 2024 is still a year away, but we should not speculate that there is such a provision without actual information.

Aspen90

Not sure of headcode but it’s there Monday and Tuesday now. If I find it I’ll post it.

Possibly 5M51 on 27th.

Established Member
The New Years' TPE-MK3 joke is becoming really quite overdone now. The 810s are miles off, and EMR have not yet widely publicised or promised a 2024 introduction anyway, so such an obligation is not required.

It also wouldn’t be remotely sensible to suggest a date when it’s a complete unknown at the moment, and subject to various unpredictable factors.

Established Member
I know it's in test mode, but how does a modern EMU get wheel flats? Even emergency stops will/should have full wheelslip protection.

WSP doesn’t prevent wheel flats, even on modern units. The wheels still lock up momentarily when the system is activated.

LowLevel

Established Member
It's a test unit. It appears the WSP kit didn't work as intended on this occasion, apparently. That's why you do testing I suppose.

Established Member
It's a test unit. It appears the WSP kit didn't work as intended on this occasion, apparently. That's why you do testing I suppose.
Or, it’s really crazy to do brake tests on a like surrounded on all sides trees in leaf fall season, on a line that a RHTT doesn’t operate on to clear all the pesky leaves and mulch from.

I think any current train doing brake tests on the Dalby line during autumn would suffer the same.