• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 810 for East Midlands Railway Construction/Introduction Updates

Snow1964

Established Member
Presumably the current plan is now a single changeover point at Wigston?
Yes once southern part (Bedford-Cricklewood) is upgraded

There might be few months where some 810s enter service, but upgrade isn't finished. They have choice, run slower or run few miles on diesel.

However not lot of point switching to diesel if pathed behind a 100mph Thameslink train. Need to be able to run faster than 100mph for few minutes otherwise no point doing changeovers as will lose some time coasting during changeovers

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

baz962

Established Member
Yes once southern part (Bedford-Cricklewood) is upgraded

There might be few months where some 810s enter service, but upgrade isn't finished. They have choice, run slower or run few miles on diesel.

However not lot of point switching to diesel if pathed behind a 100mph Thameslink train. Need to be able to run faster than 100mph for few minutes otherwise no point doing changeovers as will lose some time coasting during changeovers
That's a point. Do you think that the timetable might get recast and Thameslink also run faster. Those 700's seem to be fast and should be able to run faster than 100mph too.

Established Member
That's a point. Do you think that the timetable might get recast and Thameslink also run faster. Those 700's seem to be fast and should be able to run faster than 100mph too.

No chance. The 700s are 100mph max, and changing that would make them less accelerative.

Established Member
Good. Could do with clipping their wings lol.

Well yes, they do accelerate quicker. But then we pass them as they slow down for the next shack, usually just as the customer host knocks on the door with a cuppa.

I know where I’d rather be 8-).

baz962

Established Member
Well yes, they do accelerate quicker. But then we pass them as they slow down for the next shack, usually just as the customer host knocks on the door with a cuppa.

I know where I’d rather be 8-).
Oh . I put an application in with your details for st Alban's. Thought endless Sutton loops would suit you :lol:

Roger B

The Weymouth service is just a commuter service, you can't compare it to EMR's Intercity services.
It's like removing the shop on Avanti or LNER for London to Manchester or Leeds.
Though Waterloo - Weymouth is a longer journey than either London to Manchester or Leeds .....

387masterrace

About this, why do the HT 802s, when on diversion, not put the pan up when they reach Kettering/Corby southbound and vice versa? And run on electric London to Corby / Kettering?
I got HT up the MML in early January and I was convinced it ran electric until Kettering - I'm pretty sure RTT said it was and it certainly sounded like the diesel engine didn't start until the wires ended, when everything became an awful lot noisier.

midland1

Having seen the HT trains at Kilby Bridge Jn. Nr. Wigston in the last few weeks thy do not seem to have the same zip on diesel power as the class 222s.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Having seen the HT trains at Kilby Bridge Jn. Nr. Wigston in the last few weeks thy do not seem to have the same zip on diesel power as the class 222s.
That is to be expected as the 802s only have three generating units, compared to five on a 222. The 810s have four to give them more power on diesel than other 80x units.

D7666

Good. Could do with clipping their wings lol.
What on earth for ?

(1) If they were not as powerful they'd not maintain intensive stop-start timings elsewhere - including the core that really is flat and level isn't it - and whole timetable would collapse.

(2) If you run 100 mph trains between 125mph trains, which MML will, your 100 mph train need to be the one with more poke to get it to 100 mph as rapidly as possible and cut out white space in the train graph else you block out more 125 mph paths.

Established Member
Being Desiros I bet you could get them to 110 with just a pantograph swap and other minor mods as per the 350s. Acceleration wasn't affected as they were not regeared.

It’d be interesting to know. They accelerate a damn sight quicker than the 360s, to be fair.

What on earth for ?

(1) If they were not as powerful they'd not maintain intensive stop-start timings elsewhere - including the core that really is flat and level isn't it - and whole timetable would collapse.

(2) If you run 100 mph trains between 125mph trains, which MML will, your 100 mph train need to be the one with more poke to get it to 100 mph as rapidly as possible and cut out white space in the train graph else you block out more 125 mph paths.

Did you miss the “lol”?

D7666

although it was an own goal as the 'lol' was in the bit I quoted ............ d'ohhh o_O

Class 800

I got HT up the MML in early January and I was convinced it ran electric until Kettering - I'm pretty sure RTT said it was and it certainly sounded like the diesel engine didn't start until the wires ended, when everything became an awful lot noisier.
I’ve never done it myself but I’ve seen plenty of videos, all of which showed the 802s running diesel at places like St Albans.

Edvid

Established Member
In addition I watched a Hull Trains 802 (303, according to RTT) pass through Luton Airport Parkway yesterday afternoon and it was definitely in diesel mode too.

Anyhow, EMR issued a presser on the 810s today. There's also a YouTube video below.

Aurora 1

19 FEB 2024
EMR Intercity

EMR's new intercity fleet: First reveal of Aurora's interiors​

• EMR unveil first glimpse of new Aurora interiors
  • Video explores features customers will enjoy when fleet enters into service
  • Designers, suppliers and EMR staff provide insight into the process of creating comfortable and practical interiors
East Midlands Railway (EMR) has released a video revealing the interiors of its new Aurora fleet, highlighting all the benefits it will provide customers as they travel to and from the capital down the Midland Mainline.
The video provides customers with an insight into how the carriages will look and showcases all the features EMR has worked so hard to refine.

EMR's new Intercity fleet of 33 five-carriage trains, capable of running on electricity and diesel, is being built by Hitachi Rail in County Durham and financed by Rock Rail East Midlands. They are due to be in operation in early 2025, with the full fleet of trains in service during the year.

Aurora 3

The latest video about the Aurora project includes clips from the designers of the interiors, suppliers, and the team at EMR who are in charge of bringing the new state-of-the-art trains into service.
A key part of the film shows the work that has taken place to ensure the seats in the trains are as comfortable as possible.
The seats have been designed in close collaboration with Derby-based design firm DGDESIGN. EMR has taken the proven product of the FISA Lean seat and refined it to offer enhanced comfort and support. It has also improved the appearance to match what they believe customers expect from an Intercity service seat.

First Class 2

The seat rework has included enlarging the size of cushions, headrests, and armrests and ensuring that high-quality durable materials are used throughout, such as wool-rich moquette and leather.
The video also explores the incorporation of all the practical and technological features that customers require, such as power and USB points, generous legroom, coat hooks, well-sized seat-back tables for all airline seats, and space to stow a cabin bag under each seat.

Render - First Class

The trains will also include features that customers have said they want to see, including air conditioning, free WiFi throughout, better mobile phone signal access, more luggage space, plug sockets, and better passenger information screens.
Rachel Turner, Head of New Trains at East Midlands Railway, said: "We are really excited for the introduction of the Aurora fleet and hope our customers enjoy watching this film. It offers a great insight into all the work that is taking place to make sure the trains offer customers the features and comfort they expect from a modern train.
"Working with Hitachi, we have made every effort possible to make sure the features that customers value are included and that the environment of the carriages is as comfortable, spacious, and practical as possible."

2020-10-12 EMR Scenic CL810

Seat Features-3

Seat features 2

Seat features 3

Contact Information​

East Midlands Railway Press Office​

[email protected]

Iskra

Established Member
It’s great to see they have put some effort into the seats and improved mobile phone signal.

First class looks a bit bland though, it doesn’t particularly scream ‘first class,’ or ‘comfort.’ The light upper-seat colour scheme might not last well either.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
First class looks a bit bland though, it doesn’t particularly scream ‘first class,’ or ‘comfort.’ The light upper-seat colour scheme might not last well either.

I find the colours super-bland, and the white headrests will get mucky very quickly.

I'd have gone dark grey with deep purple inflections on the seats and dark grey leather headrests myself.

Also regarding luggage it should be under the seat in front of you. Taking other peoples' legroom for your bags isn't acceptable. The Pendolinos and Voyagers have a bar there to prevent you putting it under your own as do all aircraft - EMR have missed a trick with that!

Trainbike46

Established Member
It’s great to see they have put some effort into the seats and improved mobile phone signal.

how does big seats, spacious leg room and 2+1 not scream "First Class" or "Comfort"?

Iskra

Established Member
I find the colours super-bland, and the white headrests will get mucky very quickly.

I'd have gone dark grey with deep purple inflections on the seats and dark grey leather headrests myself.

Also regarding luggage it should be under the seat in front of you. Taking other peoples' legroom for your bags isn't acceptable. The Pendolinos and Voyagers have a bar there to prevent you putting it under your own as do all aircraft - EMR have missed a trick with that!
Agreed, and that’s a good point. It does leave no excuse for bags on seats though!

Snow1964

Established Member
Whilst it's new 810 trains were being described by EMR,

The ever popular Martin Lewis was describing the EMR service and how people we're standing and only one toilet was working

Financial guru Martin Lewis has called out East Midlands Railway for its 'disgraceful' service. The Money Saving Expert was on a train from London to Sheffield when he decided to share his frustration over the service, which he described as being "like something from the 19th century."

The EMR service on this route has an average train time of two hours and 14 minutes, with around 58 trains traveling this route each day. Martin stated that every seat was taken on the train he was travelling on, leading to people sitting in the middle of corridors and any available standing space.

In a tweet on X, formerly known as Twitter, the ITV star wrote: "Dear @EastMidRailway this train (Ldn - Sheffield) is disgraceful. Every seat taken, every standing space taken, scores sitting in mid train corridors so I guess 500 people on it and ONLY ONE WORKING TOILET at one end, so people must crawl over each 100s to reach it. "It's degrading, like something from the 19th century. PS and as I walked to the loo, apologising profusely, a number of people asked me to say something publicly about it. One of the reasons for this tweet."

Iskra

Established Member
how does big seats, spacious leg room and 2+1 not scream "First Class" or "Comfort"?
Compared to the Scotrail HST (originally done under GWR), the Mk4 interiors or TP’s efforts; it’s bland as anything and the aforementioned interiors are palatial in comparison.

I think you can best describe it as functional. It’s a very conservative effort, lacking a premium feel.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Compared to the Scotrail HST (originally done under GWR), the Mk4 interiors or TP’s efforts; it’s bland as anything and the aforementioned interiors are palatial in comparison.

I think you can best describe it as functional. It’s a very conservative effort, lacking a premium feel.

Though it's probably to be fair in keeping with the maximum journey length for these being a shade over two hours. It's hardly Euston-Edinburgh via Birmingham.