• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 810 for East Midlands Railway Construction/Introduction Updates

Aspen90

Compared to the Scotrail HST (originally done under GWR), the Mk4 interiors or TP’s efforts; it’s bland as anything and the aforementioned interiors are palatial in comparison.

I think you can best describe it as functional. It’s a very conservative effort, lacking a premium feel.
A very ‘conservative’ effort you might say - the DfT have been involved so I’m guessing it’s been done to their demands.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
I find the colours super-bland, and the white headrests will get mucky very quickly.

I'd have gone dark grey with deep purple inflections on the seats and dark grey leather headrests myself.

Also regarding luggage it should be under the seat in front of you. Taking other peoples' legroom for your bags isn't acceptable. The Pendolinos and Voyagers have a bar there to prevent you putting it under your own as do all aircraft - EMR have missed a trick with that!
Out of interest I recall TPE 185 and 802 have white head rests in 1st class, how are they fairing colour wise?

The_Train

Established Member

Trainman40083

Whilst it's new 810 trains were being described by EMR,

The ever popular Martin Lewis was describing the EMR service and how people we're standing and only one toilet was working

Yes, everyone decided to use EMR when the ECML was closed.. One line closure, and chaos reigns... If only there was a new alternative line, with capacity

Established Member
May have been last Saturday, the queue for Sheffield trains ran the entire length of St Pancras station!
It was today he is on about isn’t it? Engineering work on ECML Saturday to Tuesday, so all passengers from Kings Cross using midland Mainline

1F45 14:02 to Sheffield wishing left 5 late.

Mikw

It was today he is on about isn’t it? Engineering work on ECML Saturday to Tuesday, so all passengers from Kings Cross using midland Mainline

1F45 14:02 to Sheffield wishing left 5 late.
Yes, today. It was similar on Saturday when i was at St Pancras. Huge queues and crush loaded with very little turn round time.

Nym

Established Member
In addition I watched a Hull Trains 802 (303, according to RTT) pass through Luton Airport Parkway yesterday afternoon and it was definitely in diesel mode too.

Anyhow, EMR issued a presser on the 810s today. There's also a YouTube video below.

Very much looks like there isn't enough clearance below them sockets in the seating area to actually fit a standard plug into.

Also, has no-one learned from the 80xs that sockets in areas of the fall range of seats don't work after the few months it takes for at least one of them to get jammed with fluff and detritus that trips out the whole circuit...?
Context: one of the jobs I was on was looking at how to solve this issue, so yes, it is one.

Zamracene749

Very much looks like there isn't enough clearance below them sockets in the seating area to actually fit a standard plug into.

Also, has no-one learned from the 80xs that sockets in areas of the fall range of seats don't work after the few months it takes for at least one of them to get jammed with fluff and detritus that trips out the whole circuit...?
Context: one of the jobs I was on was looking at how to solve this issue, so yes, it is one.
On an OBB train recently, the sockets and USB points were mounted in the overhead racks near the reading lights. Seemed a great idea to me, no fluff/spilt drinks/ deliberate insertion of chewing gum by kids(cos they can't reach) etc. Plus, the cables hung nicely out of the way.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Yep that’s a fair point. Albeit I think the AT300s are only produced in 5s and 9s, certainly based on all the 8XX sub types ordered so far in the UK, so would that have led to an expensive re-engineering?

Ordering enough 5s to eventually enable all IC services to run as 10 cars would have been ideal, I suppose.
Avanti has ordered 7-car 807s (straight EMUs).
The AT300 design is supposed to be flexible, but there will be constraints just as there were for 390 extensions (8, 9 and 11 car were possible but a 10-car wasn't).

Energy

Established Member
The AT300 design is supposed to be flexible, but there will be constraints just as there were for 390 extensions (8, 9 and 11 car were possible but a 10-car wasn't).
390 9 cars are DM+M+PT(&Transformer)+M+T(removed-on-8-car)+M+PT(&Transformer)+M+DM. Each transformer vehicle can only feed 3 Motor vehicles. 11 cars require an additional Trailer/Transformer (without the pantograph) and a motor vehicle. A 10-car unit should be theoretically possible but it would only be a trailer so would be lacking power (60% motored vs 63% on an 11-car and 66% on a 9-car).

80Xs supposedly can only come in an odd number of vehicles (5,7,9,11??), I'm not sure why.

5 cars is good for off-peak, and 10 cars is loads for peak services. EMR can't justify 9/10 cars all day, and a mixed fleet would be more difficult operationally and would require a much larger depot to deal with longer units.
In addition I watched a Hull Trains 802 (303, according to RTT) pass through Luton Airport Parkway yesterday afternoon and it was definitely in diesel mode too.

Anyhow, EMR issued a presser on the 810s today. There's also a YouTube video below.

Looks good, vast improvement over the IET interior.

Jamesrob637

Established Member

Hmm, was Saturday-Tuesday a lesser evil than Friday-Monday?

Looks like 810 001 en-route from Old Dalby to Merchant Park as 5Q47 last night had its first mainline run in electric mode, transitioning from diesel north of Peterborough at Tallington as planned. After braking to low speed (or perhaps stop?) before Little Bytham, accelerated up the steep gradients of Stoke Bank to reach near 125 mph line speed by the summit. Impressive.

Edit: Understand from information elsewhere that may still have been running in diesel mode.

Last edited:

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Although I see we are back on topic with the most recent post, just a gentle reminder, this is a rolling stock updates thread regarding Class 810s for EMR.

To discuss anything else, please use (or create) a separate thread; anything that is speculative in nature belongs in Speculative Discussion, please.

Many thanks :)

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Looks like 810 001 en-route from Old Dalby to Merchant Park as 5Q47 last night had its first mainline run in electric mode, transitioning from diesel north of Peterborough at Tallington as planned. After braking to low speed (or perhaps stop?) before Little Bytham, accelerated up the steep gradients of Stoke Bank to reach near 125 mph line speed by the summit. Impressive.

Does it have a better power-to-weight ratio than other Azuma-esque trains?

Definitely. Friday evening is the busiest time of the week for the long distance railway, and it's crammed into a relatively short time period, too, unlike Sunday afternoon which is also busy but more spread out.

I suppose people could just do Wed/Thu in the office for one week or, if the employer really still insisted on a 3-day office week, Wed-Fri instead of Tue-Thu.

Does it have a better power-to-weight ratio than other Azuma-esque trains?
Plated weight not reported, but a bit heavier as 4 diesel engines rather than the 3 under other 5-car Hitachi bimodes. Auroras have 8 traction motors of continuous rating 290kW (2320hp) compared to 12 traction motors of CR 226kW (2712kW) so more sluggish acceleration in electric mode.

gingertom

Established Member
Plated weight not reported, but a bit heavier as 4 diesel engines rather than the 3 under other 5-car Hitachi bimodes. Auroras have 8 traction motors of continuous rating 290kW (2320hp) compared to 12 traction motors of CR 226kW (2712kW) so more sluggish acceleration in electric mode.
I'd suspect the design top speed of 125mph, as opposed to the 80x's 140mph, would involve different gearing, which would go a little way to mitigate.

hwl

Established Member
The IET acceleration profile /TE curve is software capped to be smooth (and more effiicient) and is noticeably below the hardware's max capabilities providing substantial redundancy in the event of equipment failure to maintain the same performance as normal. Hence comparing hardware stats isn't that useful.

AndrewJM70

I read in the current issue of Rail that EMR are expecting the fleet to be introduced before the end of 2024. If true this is obviously very good news!

Established Member
I read in the current issue of Rail that EMR are expecting the fleet to be introduced before the end of 2024. If true this is obviously very good news!

Highly doubtful (to the point of being laughable).

Crew training will begin later this year (AIUI they need five units complete and accepted to do static elements and high/low speed handling), with entry into passenger service early next year, with the full fleet in service by December ‘25, and none of that is set in stone.

There’s also no training agreement with ASLEF/RMT as yet…

Last edited:

Aspen90

Not a chance. They’re still speccing bin lids and trollies! The staff haven’t even seen one let alone touched one. Let’s hope it’s the end of 2025 and not 3025…

Nym

Established Member
Highly doubtful (to the point of being laughable).

Crew training will begin later this year (AIUI they need five units complete and accepted to do static elements and high/low speed handling), with entry into passenger service early next year, with the full fleet in service by December ‘25, and none of that is set in stone.

There’s also no training agreement with ASLEF/RMT as yet…
So I'm going to assume yet another cab designed without union involvement, with Hitachi's usual level of Human Factors knowledge.

Mods teams will be nice and busy...(!)

D365

Veteran Member
So I'm going to assume yet another cab designed without union involvement, with Hitachi's usual level of Human Factors knowledge.
Could there be instances where it may be more prudent to have the vehicles built first before full scale stakeholder involvement? I’m talking from the perspective of getting stuck in a cycle of iterating and re-iterating before even putting a FiC out the door.

Nym

Established Member
Could there be instances where it may be more prudent to have the vehicles built first before full scale stakeholder involvement? I’m talking from the perspective of getting stuck in a cycle of iterating and re-iterating before even putting a FiC out the door.
For a totally new build perhaps, but there is a baseline product that can be iterated form that Hitachi can use.

For totally new builds or heavy overhauls… There’s also the joyous thing that is plywood models, which as of now seem to have fallen from human knowledge as a means for testing human factors in this industry.

irish_rail

Established Member

I hope for MML drivers sake they haven't fitted the new style DSD pedals being rolled out on GWR sets. LNER have apparently (and in my view selfishly) managed to hang onto and procure the remaining stock of the decent older style pedal), so I'd guess all future 80x fleets, including EMR and Avanti will be stuck with the abysmal new style pedal.

baz962

Established Member
I hope for MML drivers sake they haven't fitted the new style DSD pedals being rolled out on GWR sets. LNER have apparently (and in my view selfishly) managed to hang onto and procure the remaining stock of the decent older style pedal), so I'd guess all future 80x fleets, including EMR and Avanti will be stuck with the abysmal new style pedal.
What is bad about it.

irish_rail

Established Member
What is bad about it.
It requires constant high amount of pressure to keep it down. So for a drive from say Plymouth to London , that's over 3 hours of pressure and stress to the knees, shins lower legs and ankles. I suppose on MML, the longest journeys will be what 2 hours from Sheffield to London? But too be honest, an hour or so is too much with the new type pedals...

Established Member

It’s the same cab as other models……