• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 810 for East Midlands Railway Construction/Introduction Updates

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I find cream leather to be quite classy. Emirates also use it, and many luxury cars.

TPE 1st uses it as well I believe. I prefer dark colours for trains, though, as given the limited cleaning they get cream/white leather tends to show the muck and look worn quicker.

The interior scheme of these looks more than a little "washed out" to me, sadly. Though I'm conscious that's really personal preference.

Mzzzs

Looks like the interior has had a quite a bit of change to it nice to see not just your bog standard 80x interior.

Also, let's hope EMR actually give you a proper meal with first class not a Btec Tesco meal deal with limited options considering they have what looks like a small kitchen.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
I would be very careful about posting pictures from the factory, when I presume EMR have not authorised you to share the pictures?
I’m sure a grown wo/man in a reputable job has the mental capability of gauging his own risks :)

Established Member
I’m sure a grown wo/man in a reputable job has the mental capability of gauging his own risks :)
People who work for the TOCS getting trains built there, are not even allowed to share pictures taken unless preauthorised via Hiatchi management and the relevant Toc, so an employee working there most certainly is not. But hey Ho, yes as you say up to ythem what they do!

AJDesiro

Photos have dissapeared... presumably removed?
I found a relatively new concept image, that I've never seen before from a Linkedin post about the new seats.

Mzzzs

I found a relatively new concept image, that I've never seen before from a Linkedin post about the new seats.

That looks almost identical to the pics we saw posted and deleted earlier.
The seats look somewhat more comfortable than other 80x but they look to have little padding.

Energy

Established Member

Interesting, confirms that it was still FISA as of 6 months ago. The reservation displays have changed (I suspect its just concept art). New overhead displays are interesting though I'd rather have the colour display overhead like the 700s, I find the wall mounted ones end up being difficult to see.
That looks almost identical to the pics we saw posted and deleted earlier.
The seats look somewhat more comfortable than other 80x but they look to have little padding.
You don't need a lot on the back, just enough good quality padding and in good shape. The IEP seats are particularly bad because of the poor quality bases with reports of some collapsing.

Established Member
Interesting, confirms that it was still FISA as of 6 months ago. The reservation displays have changed (I suspect its just concept art). New overhead displays are interesting though I'd rather have the colour display overhead like the 700s, I find the wall mounted ones end up being difficult to see.

You don't need a lot on the back, just enough good quality padding and in good shape. The IEP seats are particularly bad because of the poor quality collapsed bases.
I’ve yet to see a collapsed base! Lots of talk, but never seen one at all on LNER. Is it just affecting GWR?

Energy

Established Member
I’ve yet to see a collapsed base! Lots of talk, but never seen one at all on LNER. Is it just affecting GWR?
I'm not in either area enough to regularly ride them, though the GWR units have been in service longer.

AJDesiro

You don't need a lot on the back, just enough good quality padding and in good shape. The IEP seats are particularly bad because of the poor quality bases with reports of some collapsing.
I'd imagine it'll still be FISA when you consider how much money will have gone into making the LEAN supposedly better. Hopefully they're not as upright, because they're decent other than that. I would be very surprised if they end up getting the transcal seats designed for Avanti/Lumo.

Energy

Established Member
I'd imagine it'll still be FISA when you consider how much money will have gone into making the LEAN supposedly better. Hopefully they're not as upright, because they're decent other than that. I would be very surprised if they end up getting the transcal seats designed for Avanti/Lumo.
So would I, it would be very strange to change it.

They mentioned a relaxed seat angle as well as the changed cushion.

keppoch69

On Moderation

For some reason I seem to like this dark carpet than the horrid, wood effect vinyl seen on some of the railway.

AJDesiro

Any reason for thr change from 2 piece coupling cover ln the 80x to one piece on the 810?
It's still two piece, it just opens vertically instead of horizontally. Presumably it has something to do with the shorter carriage length meaning that various gubbins must need to be put in a different place.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I agree that it does look classy, the only problem is that is shows the grease and grime of people's hair off :D

Like flat cloth it looks better but it only stays looking good if cleaning is far more frequent than the railway tends to do. Dark colours are better given the railway's approach to cleaning - dark grey would probably work well with the rest of what's there.

At least it's not white (yes, you, TPE).

kevjs

It's not. It's going to be the FISA LEAN as per the Greater Anglia FLIRTs or the Class 196. Unless of course the plan has changed from what was originally proposed.

It's a reasonable seat but lacks legroom* due to the structure being on the outside rather than inside of the seat back, which better modern designs like the one you mention or even the Sophia resolve.

* Most tall blokes are "scaled up" rather than having a 20-something inch waist, so the niche in the middle is of very limited utility. And most tall people are men.

Urgh, hopefully we aren't going to see a regression to HST levels of discomfort due to lack of legroom and fixed armrests (were the seats in those lower down too?) - at least with those gone I can now make use of the fasts to/from Nottingham rather than having to stick to the semi-fasts.

The 180s were lovely with their ample amount of legroom and the Meridians aren't too bad (especially in the mixed class coach), if the pull down table was just a couple of cm higher they'd be fine.

Trainbike46

Established Member
Personally, I have experienced the "collapsed base" issue exclusively on GWR trains, never on LNER. Though I could have just been lucky on LNER

Personally, I have experienced the "collapsed base" issue exclusively on GWR trains, never on LNER. Though I could have just been lucky on LNER
I frequently use LNER and never had an issue with their seats, used gwr once a month or two back and I tried a few seats before I found one without bars poking through or a collapsed base. These 810 seats do seem to hopefully be much better as from next year I will be travelling on Emr slightly more too.

the company i work for (that does standard class catering for EMR) has received absolute confirmation that there will be no buffet bar. there will be a dedicated (and therefore i assume staff only) place that our trollies will be stored in - i'd think away from the kitchen too, since it will need to be accessible from standard class. it will be interesting to see what that will look like!