• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 93 Tri-mode Loco

Out of interest is there a reason why there were 2 barrier coaches in the move as opposed to 37901 hauling just 93001?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Rail Quest

Out of interest is there a reason why there were 2 barrier coaches in the move as opposed to 37901 hauling just 93001?
I'm wondering this as well. Braking perhaps if the 37 is for whatever reason unable to control the brakes on the 93?

ExRes

Established Member
Maybe it's as mundane as protecting a new asset or the 93s couplers not having been accepted to run on NR as yet

Roast Veg

Established Member
Could it not also be down to uncertified brakes on the 93, and inadequate brake force on the 37?

Established Member
Destination Trains and Planes on YouTube got good video of it at Stafford and Crewe

Jamesrob637

Established Member
93001 currently on the way back to Worksop as 6Q26 with 37901 again providing the horses

Just passed Sheffield. Wonder whether anybody photoed or videoed it there. I like the design and the green shade.

Established Member
Just observed on Flickr, link included here , (https://flic.kr/p/2pwB9HR) some pictures of the class 93s at the Stadler Rail Valencia factory in Albuixech.

Locos 93007 and 93009 are pictured.

Is there anyone more news on the progress of the introduction to traffic of these locos?

The_Train

Established Member
Is there anyone more news on the progress of the introduction to traffic of these locos?
I've seen someone suggesting that coaching stock and a 37 turned up at Worksop for further testing with 93001. Apparently the 93 hauled the stock to Shirebrook before being hauled back to Worksop by the 37 but I've not seen any visual evidence of this

Wyrleybart

Established Member
I've seen someone suggesting that coaching stock and a 37 turned up at Worksop for further testing with 93001. Apparently the 93 hauled the stock to Shirebrook before being hauled back to Worksop by the 37 but I've not seen any visual evidence of this
Just checked the systems I have and there is no evidence of that move. Although there are paths in the system for trains through Shirebrook today
There is a 5Q58 1405 Worksop DY - Old Dalby in the system but it wasn't reported.

The only GRxx locos in the vicinity
37510 shown at Derby RTC arrived on 0M58 1306 Gas Wood-Derby
37884 shown at Derby RTC arrived on 5M57 1343 Worksop-Derby

Perhaps 37884 was involved

The_Train

Established Member
Just checked the systems I have and there is no evidence of that move. Although there are paths in the system for trains through Shirebrook today
There is a 5Q58 1405 Worksop DY - Old Dalby in the system but it wasn't reported.

The only GRxx locos in the vicinity
37510 shown at Derby RTC arrived on 0M58 1306 Gas Wood-Derby
37884 shown at Derby RTC arrived on 5M57 1343 Worksop-Derby

Perhaps 37884 was involved

Apologies, @Wyrleybart and everyone else, I got my previous post completely wrong. The report stated it was 37884 with 2 barrier wagons (not coaching stock as was used for the static testing) and it ran as far as Shireoaks East Jct (not Shirebrook) which is literally the junction at one end of the yard (I believe) so probably wouldn't have appeared on RTT.

Hopefully this makes more sense and would probably also explain why there was no visual proof of it happening

Rail Quest

I've been assuming something was found in static testing on 001 that is requiring roll out to all locos though that's just speculation

aem7ac

I was curious about this as well - were the Mk3s moved just for static testing? Any clue if static testing has happened with them yet? I'm not clued in on the full story but from what I'm gathering in this thread, the Mk3s never were dropped for static testing at the same location as 93001.

Rail Quest

I'm not clued in on the full story but from what I'm gathering in this thread, the Mk3s never were dropped for static testing at the same location as 93001.
They were for a very short time (a few days maybe?) in Crewe South Yard - the MK3s came up from Great Yarmouth a few days/weeks before 001 arrived at Crewe. I believe it was mentioned on this thread that static testing did take place? (please someone correct me if I'm wrong haha) And then 001 was transferred back to Worksop only a few days after, then everything went silent :)

Established Member
They were for a very short time (a few days maybe?) in Crewe South Yard - the MK3s came up from Great Yarmouth a few days/weeks before 001 arrived at Crewe. I believe it was mentioned on this thread that static testing did take place? (please someone correct me if I'm wrong haha) And then 001 was transferred back to Worksop only a few days after, then everything went silent :)
According to multiple railway magazines, static testing did take place at Crewe.

PJM

Almost 9 months since it arrived at Portbury! A lot of patience needed! If anyone knows what is happening it would be much appreciated.

ExRes

Established Member
'The Rail Scene' facebook has a couple of pictures of 93006 on test under its own power at Stadler Valencia

Rail Quest

'The Rail Scene' facebook has a couple of pictures of 93006 on test under its own power at Stadler Valencia
HSTHoward posted a video today of that loco on diesel mode:

One can definitely hear the engine in the above video, mainly the turbos spooling up at the beginning. Its no 68, but that turbo sound gives it a wispy kind of quality that, IMO, goes nicely with the electric motor whine.

ExRes

Established Member
There are multiple paths between Worksop Down Yard & Sheffield currently showing for each day next week, possibly the 93?

Rail Quest

There are multiple paths between Worksop Down Yard & Sheffield currently showing for each day next week, possibly the 93?
Good spot! Will be interesting to see if that theory is correct...

Links for those interested:

ExRes

Established Member
Good spot! Will be interesting to see if that theory is correct...

Links for those interested:

No action yesterday or so far today, RTT are showing them as 'Q' paths so maybe just running a normal 93 service :D

norbitonflyer

Established Member
HSTHoward posted a video today of that loco on diesel mode:

One can definitely hear the engine in the above video, mainly the turbos spooling up at the beginning. Its no 68, but that turbo sound gives it a wispy kind of quality that, IMO, goes nicely with the electric motor whine.
0:42-0:52
One oddity in that video is that the maker's name is obscured by the raised coupling - and the coupling will only be in the lowered position when the loco is coupled to something, which will also hide the maker's name.