• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 93 Tri-mode Loco

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Doomotron

I think you're all barking up the wrong tree here

001 - Mercury, 002 - Bowie, 003 - Meatloaf, 004- Bolan, 005 - Cocker
Ironically Bowie would also fit with the planet theme, because of his Major Tom character. Maybe they'll be one called Blackstar?

xotGD

Established Member
Maybe they are being named after local newspapers?

93002 Telegraph & Argus

Bryson

Or Chemical Elements:

93002 Thallium

Or Roman Mythology:

93002 Minerva ( or you could have Vulcan again :D)

Spartacus

Established Member
Could be random UK telephone companies...or music prizes, not sure about a loco named MOBO, though having radio stations in the past maybe isn't not too strange.

O/T The Mercury Music prize might be somewhat unique, retaining it's original sponsor name even when it also bears the name of the other companies that have since sponsored it...

ABB125

Established Member
Impressive as the class 93s may be, they're rather puny on electric more compared to most modern European electrics (though I appreciate the smaller UK loading gauge may have an impact). They (and class 88s) have 4000kW of power, whereas the standard on the continent seems to be 5600kW or 6400kW (which I want to say is an Alston/Siemens split, but I think it's a bit more complex than that!). Is there any particular reason for 4000kW becoming the de-facto standard here?
(Much better than diesel, obviously!)

For reference, class 92s are slightly more powerful on AC at 5000kW (and are 4000kW on DC); class 91s are a bit under 5000kW; class 90s and 87s are 3700kW; class 86s are 2700kW. Meanwhile, German class 101s (king of equivalent to class 91s, albeit late 1990s rather than late 80s) are 6400kW.

Fortunately the class 99s for GBRF will (according to Wikipedia...) be 6000kW

ac6000cw

Established Member
Impressive as the class 93s may be, they're rather puny on electric more compared to most modern European electrics (though I appreciate the smaller UK loading gauge may have an impact). They (and class 88s) have 4000kW of power, whereas the standard on the continent seems to be 5600kW or 6400kW (which I want to say is an Alston/Siemens split, but I think it's a bit more complex than that!). Is there any particular reason for 4000kW becoming the de-facto standard here?
(Much better than diesel, obviously!)

For reference, class 92s are slightly more powerful on AC at 5000kW (and are 4000kW on DC); class 91s are a bit under 5000kW; class 90s and 87s are 3700kW; class 86s are 2700kW. Meanwhile, German class 101s (king of equivalent to class 91s, albeit late 1990s rather than late 80s) are 6400kW.

Fortunately the class 99s for GBRF will (according to Wikipedia...) be 6000kW
Don't forget that the 93s and 88s are not straight electrics - they have diesel engines and fuel tanks (and batteries in the 93) which add weight and take up space.

Also electrics normally have higher short-term ratings - as we don't have Alpine-grade long climbs to deal with e.g. the steep part of Shap is 4 miles and Beattock is 10 miles of about 1.4% gradients, I suspect 4 MW continuous plus extra short-term is enough really in the UK for 75 mph freight in a 4-axle loco. In the dry it probably could put extra power to good use, but that doesn't help if it's raining/snowing/icy etc. - and you can't base schedules just on good weather performance.

The class 99 is 6 MW on 6 axles of course, so the same power per axle but with better hill-climbing ability.

BRX

Established Member
I was about to suggest that it's because freight trains on the continent tend to be longer than in the UK but a bit of googling suggests that the UK actually runs some freight trains that are *longer* than the continental standard maximum length.

TRAX

Established Member
Don't forget that the 93s and 88s are not straight electrics - they have diesel engines and fuel tanks (and batteries in the 93) which add weight and take up space.

The EuroDual is dual-mode as well but has an electric-mode power output of up to 7000 kW.

I was about to suggest that it's because freight trains on the continent tend to be longer than in the UK but a bit of googling suggests that the UK actually runs some freight trains that are *longer* than the continental standard maximum length.

Yeah British freight trains are actually more frequent and longer than continental ones.

ac6000cw

Established Member
The EuroDual is dual-mode as well but has an electric-mode power output of up to 7000 kW.
The 'full fat' EuroDual is a 6-axle design - the new GBRf class 99 is effectively a slimmed down version of that with a 6MW rating.

Stadler are also now selling a Euro9000 dual, 6-axle with 9 MW rating on electric, 1.9MW on diesel - https://www.europeanlocpool.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/03/Datenblatt_ELP_Euro9000_EN_V2.pdf

The class 88 and 93 are 4-axle designs partly derived from the 'EuroLight' family.

For reference, class 92s are slightly more powerful on AC at 5000kW (and are 4000kW on DC); class 91s are a bit under 5000kW; class 90s and 87s are 3700kW; class 86s are 2700kW

Note that when class 90 are used in pairs by FL, they have to be power limited to about 1.5 x a single loco, so around 5.5 MW in total and about the same as 2 x cl.86, presumably due to OHLE supply limits.

Out of interest, if you work out roughly what tractive effort is needed to lift a 1600 tonne (gross) train up Shap or Beattock against gravity alone - there is an online calculator here - and relate it to the tractive effort versus speed graphs in post #243, the balancing speed for a 93 on electric is around 40 to 45 mph. (The calculated required TE is about 220 kN, but that takes no account of other rolling resistances, aerodynamic drag, headwinds etc.)

Anyone got any real-world performance figures for a class 88 on intermodals over Shap and Beattock, for comparison?

Mollman

Established Member
And now a press release from ROG:
https://www.railopsgroup.co.uk/news
Press Release - Class 93 locomotive project reaches a significant milestone with the completion of the first carbody
21 July 2022
Stadler has started production of the Class 93 locomotive fleet for Rail Operations UK and finished the first carbody. Assembly of all the components and sub-systems will soon begin. After a period of testing and approvals, the first locomotive is scheduled to be transferred to the UK in March 2023. Entry into service is set to take place a few months later. The Class 93 is Stadler’s first ever tri-mode locomotive, demonstrating the company’s commitment to green technology and reducing carbon emissions. It is also the first tri-mode locomotive to operate in the UK.
The first carbody for the Class 93 is now ready, paving the way to the assembly stage, which involves the installation of piping, cabling, traction systems and other equipment. Able to operate using electricity, in battery mode, as well as with diesel, the Class 93 is the first tri-mode locomotive that Stadler has ever designed and manufactured and the first to operate in the UK. Commissioning is set to be undertaken next year.
British company, Rail Operations UK and Stadler signed a framework agreement in 2021 for 30 Class 93 tri-mode locomotives, ordering an initial batch of ten. Class 93 is a ‘Bo-Bo’ mixed-traffic locomotive based on Stadler’s Class 68 and Class 88 locomotives, which have been operating successfully in the UK for several years. All locomotives on order for Rail Operations (UK) are being made at Stadler’s Valencia plant.
The locomotives will have three different power sources, and in electric mode, can run on 25kV AC overhead lines with a power up to 4,600 kW. They feature a Stage V 900 kW-engine and two Lithium Titanate Oxide (LTO) traction battery packs, allowing them to operate on non-electrified lines. The battery packs provide 400 kW extra power to supplement the engine when the locomotives are running in diesel/battery hybrid mode. The batteries modules can also work alone, enabling carbon-free operations.
The advanced locomotives will significantly reduce exhaust gas emissions for both rail freight and potential passenger transport services, supporting net zero targets in the UK. They also include efficiency features to minimise energy consumption. The high-efficiency transformer and the AC traction system with IGBT technology, one inverter per axle, enable better adhesion control, reduce energy consumption and increase reliability. Kinetic energy is recuperated during braking. The Class 93 is capable of reaching a higher speed than the Class 68s and Class 88s - 110mph in comparison with 100mph. Future-proofed, its innovative hybrid coupler enables coupling via a draw hook and through automatic coupling.
Iñigo Parra, CEO of Stadler Valencia, commented: “This is a project of firsts: the Class 93 is not only the first tri-mode locomotive to run in the UK, but it’s Stadler’s first tri-mode locomotive, illustrating our commitment to green technology and genuine desire to help governments and businesses around the world de-carbonise their cities, towns and villages. We are delighted to see these locomotives take shape and look forward to continued working with our customer and partner, Rail Operations UK.”
Karl Watts from Rail Operations UK commented: “We’ve been working with Stadler for four years now to specify and design a locomotive for the future. The end product, the Class 93 tri-mode, is a locomotive of great operating versatility, incredible energy efficiency and packed full of technology which, not only allows us to transform UK train operations but lead the way in UK rail decarbonisation. The locomotive also enables Rail Operations UK to penetrate new operating markets, in particular express freight, previously unavailable using its existing locomotive fleet.”

ac6000cw

Established Member
The locomotives will have three different power sources, and in electric mode, can run on 25kV AC overhead lines with a power up to 4,600 kW. They feature a Stage V 900 kW-engine and two Lithium Titanate Oxide (LTO) traction battery packs, allowing them to operate on non-electrified lines. The battery packs provide 400 kW extra power to supplement the engine when the locomotives are running in diesel/battery hybrid mode.
Interesting that this latest press release has upgraded the power on OHLE from 4000 kW to 4600 kW (compared to the press release in Jan 2021).

On Moderation
Interesting that this latest press release has upgraded the power on OHLE from 4000 kW to 4600 kW (compared to the press release in Jan 2021).
I wonder if 4000kW is the continuous rating and 4600kW is the short term rating (hence use of "up to" in the press release)?

Wyrleybart

Established Member
Are the 93s going to be bought by or leased by ROG ?
A huge capital purchase if they are bought

Wish em well and hope the 20 options will be taken up.

ac6000cw

Established Member
I wonder if 4000kW is the continuous rating and 4600kW is the short term rating (hence use of "up to" in the press release)?
That crossed my mind too - some of the Rail Operations UK press releases do lean towards the 'mine's bigger than yours' numbers game and 'transforming the industry' type of claims...

XCTurbostar

Established Member
Are the 93s going to be bought by or leased by ROG ?
A huge capital purchase if they are bought

Wish em well and hope the 20 options will be taken up.
The 93s are being financed by STAR Capital which is itself the majority stakeholder of Rail Operations Limited so I would not expect them to be leased.

TRAX

Established Member

I’d lean more towards 4600 at the motors and 4000 at the wheel.

It’s usually for tractive effort (kN) that we differentiate starting and continuous.

Wyrleybart

Established Member
The 93s are being financed by STAR Capital which is itself the majority stakeholder of Rail Operations Limited so I would not expect them to be leased.
Great. Thanks for that
Looking at their webpages I recognise some familiar companies like Eversholt and Abellio. They clearly are a huge company with diverse operations.

They need to update the Eversholt image though with first Group pink doored HST trailers !!!!

Last edited:

On Moderation
I’d lean more towards 4600 at the motors and 4000 at the wheel.
For electric traction, it is usual for the rating to be at the wheel.
It’s usually for tractive effort (kN) that we differentiate starting and continuous.
Yes, but for electric traction there can be a continuous rating (i.e. the rating the electrical equipment can handle permanently), and/or a one hour rating and/or a short term rating (5 or 10 minutes, i.e. going beyond that time at the higher rating would risk equipment damage.

For example, Siemens’ ES64U2 Taurus locos are quoted as being 6,400 kW continuous and 7,000 kW short term rating.

TRAX

Established Member
For electric traction, it is usual for the rating to be at the wheel.

Yes, but for electric traction there can be a continuous rating (i.e. the rating the electrical equipment can handle permanently), and/or a one hour rating and/or a short term rating (5 or 10 minutes, i.e. going beyond that time at the higher rating would risk equipment damage.

For example, Siemens’ ES64U2 Taurus locos are quoted as being 6,400 kW continuous and 7,000 kW short term rating.
Yes absolutely, I was merely mentioning what we usually find in technical documentation. We’ll have more details shortly.

hwl

Established Member
The 93 was originally going to use the existing transformer design from the 88 but ABB came up with a revise design in 2021 which has improved power output but no one has tested one in use yet, hence the "upto".

The new design also somewhat clouds the usefulness of traditional continuous and max definitions with something in between related to what the worst the network the throw at a real train.

Last edited:

XCTurbostar

Established Member
Two images of 93001 courtesy of Karl Watts.

Tantalisingly close now. 93001 being completed in Stadler's facility in Valencia, with a sister loco in the background. We are really looking forward to getting to grips with these innovative, de-carbonisation flagships. They have been a long time in the planning! Roll on April and arrival on UK metals!

Attachments

• A83D12C6-08EE-4845-89F7-5168CBF6C55C.jpeg
    A83D12C6-08EE-4845-89F7-5168CBF6C55C.jpeg
    98.9 KB · Views: 396
  • D446ABFD-07DB-41B0-8D62-021A56F3E57E.jpeg
    D446ABFD-07DB-41B0-8D62-021A56F3E57E.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 392

Speed43125

Impressive looking machine. Worth noting the image of the drivers cab is from late last year.

Buffers sure seem to look like they're stuck out a long way though!

Suraggu

She looks like a fine piece of machinery.

I remember users on here effectively saying ROG's order was a pipedream yet here it is in the flesh.

Last edited:

Carlisle

Established Member
She looks like a fine piece of machinery.

I remember users on here effectively saying ROG's order was a pipedream yet here it is in the flesh.
Hopefully it’ll be a tad more successful than ROGs Orion parcels business.