• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Classes that came and went without you ever travelling on one?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Journeyman

Established Member
Born in 1974, and I think my list comprises of... 89 haulage, 140, possibly 144 but can't be 100% sure, 151, 210, 370, original GatEx stock (although those were conversions so not sure they count), BREL International Train and LU 1986 Stock. Think that's yer lot. I'm widely travelled enough to have got just about everything else. Quite a few classes built before me and withdrawn during my childhood would be missing, but obviously they don't apply here.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

xotGD

Established Member
I thought that Class 13 might be one but no, they were converted before I was born.

Welshman

Established Member
I once helped a friend load her lugguage onto a pacer at Whitby, that is the closest that I have come to travelling on any of those classes.
You don't know how lucky you are!;)

I would love to have travelled on the Midland Pullman - Manchester Central to London St Pancras - breakfast out and dinner back whilst travelling through the Peak District.

Polarbear

Established Member
Of those classes introduced after I was born, there aren't many.

Ventured on to the 140 once when it was being exhibited at Chester, but never went anywhere on it. Also never managed to bag either of the 210's.

UP13

I'm struggling to think of retired classes that were introduced after 1987. If people can name them then I can say whether I have or not.

If the 332 is the Heathrow Express unit then no I haven't been on it. Also not done 460.

Royston Vasey

Established Member
Good thread.

460s will be quite a common one being both niche and short-lived.

Other than that I think I can count only the 141s, plus a few different subclasses. I'm not even a particularly avid basher, or particularly young at all, I've just lived and travelled quite extensively.

A number of Mk 3 based units are probably next to arise, 442s, 456s, 318s and 320s.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
I think the closest I get is that I've never been hauled by 89001... but on checking it entered revenue service *just* before I was born (it would count if it started from conception...)

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Born in 1974, and I think my list comprises of... 89 haulage, 140, possibly 144 but can't be 100% sure, 151, 210, 370, original GatEx stock (although those were conversions so not sure they count), BREL International Train and LU 1986 Stock. Think that's yer lot. I'm widely travelled enough to have got just about everything else. Quite a few classes built before me and withdrawn during my childhood would be missing, but obviously they don't apply here.
You’ve just written my list out for me I think. I don’t think I’ve been on a 332 though.

Journeyman

Established Member
You’ve just written my list out for me I think. I don’t think I’ve been on a 332 though.

Only did it a couple of times, once to the temporary station for the bus connection when the line first opened, and then once or twice for free travel between terminals.

I haven't counted things like 56s and 58s which only saw use on railtours. I can never tell whether the 56s count as withdrawn or not - wasn't there a phase where none of them were active?

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I haven't counted things like 56s and 58s which only saw use on railtours. I can never tell whether the 56s count as withdrawn or not - wasn't there a phase where none of them were active?
I think there might have been a brief time without 56s and I’ve only ever been behind them on preserved lines actually, but I’d completely forgotten about 58s. I’ve never had a run behind one of them.

DustyBin

Established Member
Good thread.

460s will be quite a common one being both niche and short-lived.

Other than that I think I can count only the 141s, plus a few different subclasses. I'm not even a particularly avid basher, or particularly young at all, I've just lived and travelled quite extensively.

A number of Mk 3 based units are probably next to arise, 442s, 456s, 318s and 320s.

Thanks, it’s a bit of an unusual one but I thought it would get people thinking! I hadn’t thought of 89001 (I was originally thinking about units only) but I can add that to my list. Although I may get to ride behind it yet....

The 460s seem to be the most mentioned which isn’t surprising really.

AJM580

Off the top of my head, can only think of 140, 141, 151, APT, 314. Did a 460 in 2004 and one of the 210s was on a shuttle to the Old Oak Common open day in 1985

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
There's plenty of older classes that were still running at my birth, but AIUI the thread is only for classes introduced within a person's lifetime... So here is my list.

Units:
210 (depending on when they were built: I was born in Feb 1982 so they may not count)
370 (same caveat as 210 above)
460 (though have ridden an ex-460 vehicle in a 458/5 set)
GatEx push-pull sets (depending on whether we consider that a new class)

Locos:
87/1

I was thinking slightly ahead - 143 or 144 (whichever it was) certainly will count within 12 months or so, for example.
If you can remember where you were, you should be able to pin down which it was- when the 143s were in the North East the 144s rarely (if ever) made it up there in service.

Last edited:

Journeyman

Established Member
There's plenty of older classes that were still running at my birth, but AIUI the thread is only for classes introduced within a person's lifetime... So here is my list.

Units:
210 (depending on when they were built: I was born in Feb 1982 so they may not count)
370 (same caveat as 210 above)

These all pre-date you, definitely in the case of the 140 (constructed between 1979 and 1981) and 370 (first train unveiled to the public in 1978). All I can find for the 210 is that it was built in 1982, but not sure when completed, so that's a maybe. :)

I'm not even a particularly avid basher, or particularly young at all, I've just lived and travelled quite extensively.

Likewise. I've always made a point of seeking out unusual or interesting trains to ride on, though, so I've done most things in service during the course of my adult life, even if only once or twice.

Last edited:

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
These all pre-date you, definitely in the case of the 140 (constructed between 1979 and 1981) and 370 (first train unveiled to the public in 1978). All I can find for the 210 is that it was built in 1982, but not sure when completed, so that's a maybe. :)

Likewise. I've always made a point of seeking out unusual or interesting trains to ride on, though, so I've done most things in service during the course of my adult life, even if only once or twice.
I'm not as bad at bashing as I thought then! :lol:

I've never been one for going out of my way to clear a whole class for sight or haulage, though my brother and I did have ABC and Platform 5 books in our youth. I do like to at least have experienced one example of the various classes though. As far as I'm concerned riding one 314 is pretty much the same as riding any other 314, there's an argument that a 315 is also pretty much the same.
I visited Glasgow in 2014 so made sure to ride one of each of the classes unique to that area, but wasn't fussed about clearing as many individual units as I could. I admire those who manage it, but if I took that approach I'd have to be an absolute completeist and get every individual vehicle for haulage too... and that's probably beyond me!

hexagon789

Veteran Member
If we are doing "lists" then:

332s

Unless anyone can think of anything else introduced post-1997 now being withdrawn

I'm not as bad at bashing as I thought then! :lol:

I've never been one for going out of my way to clear a whole class for sight or haulage, though my brother and I did have ABC and Platform 5 books in our youth. I do like to at least have experienced one example of the various classes though. As far as I'm concerned riding one 314 is pretty much the same as riding any other 314, there's an argument that a 315 is also pretty much the same.
I visited Glasgow in 2014 so made sure to ride one of each of the classes unique to that area, but wasn't fussed about clearing as many individual units as I could. I admire those who manage it, but if I took that approach I'd have to be an absolute completeist and get every individual vehicle for haulage too... and that's probably beyond me!
I seem to have a similar approach, though I've not really covered as many classes but I don't really go for 'clearing' a class.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Before VAR those obviously wrong decisions were ruining the game in the same way they do with VAR. I disagree that VAR was meant to be a magic bullet but I do think we were sold it that way so when it inevitably didn't work they could blame it instead of the inherent issues within the game - most notably the dishonesty of players. Only time will let the technology be implemented without turning every decision into a controversy but that's not going to happen whilst pundits have a vested interest in the controversy and will generate it if they have to.

Speaking of Rugby I'd like to see their clock system implemented where the clock is physically stopped in certain circumstances and restarted as needed instead of added time which, more often than not, seems to be pulled out of the official's backside

2003 ish in Yorkshire (boarded at one of the Bradford stations, I believe) - so I guess a 143?

Definitely a 144! Never has 143s in Yorkshire!
What he said ^. Would definitely be a 144, they (along with 142s) were the staple traction to Forster Square and all related lines up until electrification.

Richard Scott

Established Member
That had the bonus of not costing anything, as opposed to the eye-watering price of tickets to Paddington.
Had them all between the two Heathrow stations as fill ins whilst waiting for flights but getting off topic and may be a thread in itself (clearing a class between same two stations)?

Taunton

Established Member
I remember the first Hymek arriving, saw most if not all of them on passenger services, but on reflection one never hauled a train I was on. Loads of Warships and Westerns, I'm sure, but cannot recollect being on a train with a Hymek in charge.

Snow1964

Established Member
If you're young you're going to struggle with this one!

And if you are older, will also struggle, some of the modernisation plan stuff was used in certain geographic areas only, and had gone by time people were old enough to roam the network

As an example I grew up on south Coast, never went near a class 311 (introduced 1967 after I was born)

Last edited:

Journeyman

Established Member
And if you are older, will also struggle, some of the modernisation plan stuff was used in certain geographic areas only, and had gone by time people were old enough to roam the network

As an example I grew up on south Coast, never went near a class 311 (introduced 1967 after I was born)

Also, of course, a lot of Modernisation Plan classes were small and short-lived, often only ten or so locos with lives of only a decade. Getting all of those would have been a challenge.

Status
Not open for further replies.