• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Climate Change Strike: Children walk out of school to protest at the lack of action

Status
Not open for further replies.

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
I agree with their actions although it's disappointing that May as the PM decided it wasn't acceptable however I partly laid the blame for her response to the civil service and those who advise her.

I'm not sure about lowering the voting age though as I still remain to be convinced of this.

On the other hand, look at this response from Claire Perry, the Energy Secretary:

ClairePerry said:
I'm incredibly proud of young people who feel strongly that we need to take action. The UK has plans to cut 80% of carbon emissions by 2050 and asked for advice on how we get to net 0. #schoolstrike4climate #cleangrowth #ClimateChange

OK, the 2nd sentence of that Tweet amounted to not-very-subtle political campaigning, but based on those responses... seems somewhat remarkable that she and Theresa May both represent the same political party!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Busaholic

Veteran Member
'Missing a day's education'. Just how do you measure the effect of that? We're told everything can be measured nowadays, and a price put on it. Stalin would be pleased that his ideas have penetrated so far. Good on the kids I say, even the ones who didn't treat it with due reverence. This should be encouraged, if only unofficially. The old National Union of School Students would have loved this: the Wikipedia entry on this is woefully inaccurate, in that it was originally formed circa 1965/6 by a group of 5th/6th form students in S.E. London, mostly from Alleyns School, Dulwich. One of them got expelled and came to my school in Catford: I became friendly with him and got involved in activities, some of them entirely legal. I'm probably the only one of them that didn't then go on to university and become a judge or a merchant banker!

bussnapperwm

Established Member
What do you think? Is striking (and therefore missing out on some education) appropriate in this case?
I agree with the Prime Minister in this case as missing out on education results in failed examinations and less job opportunities

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
I agree with the Prime Minister in this case as missing out on education results in failed examinations and less job opportunities
They're missing out on one day of tuition. As someone suggested upthread, it's no worse than losing a day to illness.

I was listening to the radio earlier, and I heard the young chap from Ullapool stating his case. Those were the words of a young person who is genuinely concerned for his future. Maybe his parents are more environmentally conscious than most and you could perhaps argue that he has been "indoctrinated" in that way. Kids do pick things up at home - some grow up to be racist because they hear the bile spouted by their parents. I grew up hating Margaret Thatcher! The idea that children aren't capable of forming their own views before adulthood is absolutely ridiculous, though. You don't have to wait until you're sixteen before you're allowed to have opinions.

While we're on the subject of education failures, perhaps you should edit your post to read "fewer job opportunities". ;)

class387

Established Member
They're missing out on one day of tuition. As someone suggested upthread, it's no worse than losing a day to illness.

I was listening to the radio earlier, and I heard the young chap from Ullapool stating his case. Those were the words of a young person who is genuinely concerned for his future. Maybe his parents are more environmentally conscious than most and you could perhaps argue that he has been "indoctrinated" in that way. Kids do pick things up at home - some grow up to be racist because they hear the bile spouted by their parents. I grew up hating Margaret Thatcher! The idea that children aren't capable of forming their own views before adulthood is absolutely ridiculous, though. You don't have to wait until you're sixteen before you're allowed to have opinions.

While we're on the subject of education failures, perhaps you should edit your post to read "fewer job opportunities". ;)
I agree that we are capable of forming political views and some are genuinely concerned, however I just don't understand why a 'strike' from school is more effective than a weekend protest.

radamfi

Established Member
Maybe his parents are more environmentally conscious than most and you could perhaps argue that he has been "indoctrinated" in that way.

Although it is debatable whether any parent can be considered to be "environmentally conscious", given that giving birth in a western country is pretty much the most unenvironmentally damaging thing one can do.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
More like been indoctrinated by leftie teachers.
Nonsense. What's your evidence for this?
Ah, OK, just that most 11 year olds are either at or nearly at secondary. ....
Although most Year 7s do go home under their own steam, there are still a relatively high proportion who are picked up by parents, though some parents take the view that they can walk home if it's light but have to be picked up if it's dark. Some of the distances involved are barely more than half a mile. Some 11 year olds are prevented from attending after school clubs because their parents won't let them walk home. Some have to be accompanied by older siblings. Attitudes towards this vary considerably.
As long as it's the children themselves taking the lead in organising it, I would say it's fine. If - say - it'd been something like a political party deliberately trying to persuade children to strike, then I'd have felt pretty uneasy about it....
Photos of the event in York showed several adults with anti capitalist signs present, so I would have concerns that the 'extreme left' may attempt to do some persuading and influencing.

A Challenge

Established Member
I know of people at college who had to walk their bike the hour walk home instead of cycling when we had last lesson at the end of last term because it was dark!

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
I agree that we are capable of forming political views and some are genuinely concerned, however I just don't understand why a 'strike' from school is more effective than a weekend protest.
A weekend protest wouldn't have the same impact! It wouldn't have generated the same headlines, and I very much doubt we'd having this discussion here. People are talking about it, which is usually one of the desired outcomes of such action.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I know of people at college who had to walk their bike the hour walk home instead of cycling when we had last lesson at the end of last term because it was dark!

Of course if they didn't have lights (as most kids seem not to) that would be sensible!

I do note that in the UK we mandate bells to be fitted to new bikes as standard, but not lights like Germany does. I think we should.

A Challenge

Established Member
Of course if they didn't have lights (as most kids seem not to) that would be sensible!

I do note that in the UK we mandate bells to be fitted to new bikes as standard, but not lights like Germany does. I think we should.
My bikes lights come off, so they have to be taken off the bike if I lock it up, so they normally aren't on there at all, as I rarely have need to cycle after dark.

DynamicSpirit

Established Member

Out of interest, how does that work in Germany? Are lights permanently attached to the bike or can people just take them off?

I can see the safety advantage of bikes automatically having lights (at least, until the batteries wear out and the same people don't bother to buy lights don't bother to replace the batteries either). And personally I'd also find it a lot more convenient if lights were sufficiently securely fitted that I could just permanently leave them on the bike when I park it. Fewer things to do when I park/unpark it and less stuff to carry with me. But I'm struggling to see how that would work consistent with that modern lights can be extremely small, require batteries, and lighting technology tends to evolve a lot more quickly than it takes for a bicycle to wear out and require replacing. On the other hand, selling a cycle with removable lights pre-fitted sounds like potentially a bad deal for cyclists, many of whom would immediately want to replace the lights they've just had to pay for with something more to their own tastes.

radamfi

Established Member
Dynamo lights are common for a practical bike, either ones inside the hub which can work when after the cycle comes to a stop, or the traditional cheap bottle dynamo which rubs against the tyre and goes off when stationary.

Groningen

Established Member
There are many kinds of bikelights without using a dynamo.

th

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Out of interest, how does that work in Germany? Are lights permanently attached to the bike or can people just take them off?

Typical German and Dutch (and French) city bikes have permanently fitted lights which are usually dynamo powered, though some are now battery because LEDs last a long time on a set. I've got a Decathlon city bike which has LEDs powered by a front hub dynamo - unlike the old days you can't even notice, and they switch themselves on when it gets dark (though with daytime running lights now on most cars I'm getting increasingly tempted to modify them to be on all the time by shorting the photocell out). Many dynamo light sets even now have a capacitor so they don't go dark at a junction when they are arguably needed most - as supplied my rear light did that but not the front, but I've swapped it for one that does.

I can see a particularly strong case for this on bikes aimed at teenagers (as these are the worst culprits at riding in the dark on the road unlit). I can also see justification for an exemption above a certain price point (perhaps £800 or thereabouts for an unpowered bike?), as it's rare for someone riding a 2 grand road bike not to also have a set of lights more powerful than an average car anyway. I think Germany does indeed have an exemption of this nature.

furnessvale

Established Member
Cyclists who walk their bikes, rather than ride them, because it is dark and they don't have lights?

That's a novel concept!

Basher

Perhaps these youngsters should be lobbying parents at the school gate not to drive their kids a mile to school by car - which seems to have becoming a common thing in the past 20 years. That is, asssuming they aren't among those who get a lift the short distance to school themselves...
It would interesting to see if the kids would give up a weeks holiday in Spain. This would help to reduce co2 omitions

AM9

Veteran Member

Not that the bell legislation ever seems to be enforced.

Groningen

Established Member
Why are some so negative about these kids. It is their future; not ours. Go to school and keep your mouth shut. It does not work that way anymore.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Not that the bell legislation ever seems to be enforced.

It doesn't, but if you walk into Halfords/Argos/wherever and buy a cheap bike, which is how most of them are acquired, it comes with one. Which does help matters, as people who buy such bikes rarely if ever add anything to them.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Why are some so negative about these kids. It is their future; not ours. Go to school and keep your mouth shut. It does not work that way anymore.

Back on topic :)

Well, quite. Indeed, my view is that now me, you and anyone else who wishes has every fact (and lie) known to man in their pocket at all times, 24 hours a day, the need for the future is of critical appraisal and analysis, not of knowledge. To me, the closed book exam has had its day and should stop, other than on necessary basics like spoken and written English and basic mathematics. Engagement with society like this is the future, not keeping your head down and learning from Theresa's approved workbook.

As I said, it's heartening to see it. More please. They are truly better people than my cynical, disconnected middle-aged cohorts.

Groningen

Established Member
During a conference in München Angela Merkel said there is a link between those climate children and Russia. All those children; quiet for years and now suddenly active. AM can not believe it.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
During a conference in München Angela Merkel said there is a link between those climate children and Russia. All those children; quiet for years and now suddenly active. AM can not believe it.

Now I have heard it all. I think Russia is connected with quite a number of recent bad happenings, think Donald Trump and Brexit (not to mention an increase in tourist numbers in a certain small city served by SWR's Class 159s a couple of times an hour; I'm led to believe a tour of the cathedral and a meal in a chain Italian restaurant is the done thing). But to suggest Russia would be involved in environmental activism? Really? I think she's gone mad, it's just not their approach.

If it was them, it's about the first good thing they've done for, well, a lot of years.

VioletEclipse

The thing is it's not. It's everyone's future. The Climate Crisis could well mean that the earth in uninhabitable by 2030, and most people alive now will still be alive then.

Ken H

On Moderation
Nonsense. What's your evidence for this?

Although most Year 7s do go home under their own steam, there are still a relatively high proportion who are picked up by parents, though some parents take the view that they can walk home if it's light but have to be picked up if it's dark. Some of the distances involved are barely more than half a mile. Some 11 year olds are prevented from attending after school clubs because their parents won't let them walk home. Some have to be accompanied by older siblings. Attitudes towards this vary considerably.

Photos of the event in York showed several adults with anti capitalist signs present, so I would have concerns that the 'extreme left' may attempt to do some persuading and influencing.
I walked 1.5 miles to and from school in all weather and when it was dark. Dad gave me the bus fare but usually spent it on sweets and walked. Crossed 2 very busy roads too. It was in the city though.

JamesT

Established Member
The thing is it's not. It's everyone's future. The Climate Crisis could well mean that the earth in uninhabitable by 2030, and most people alive now will still be alive then.

Rubbish. The very worst cases have some areas of the planet being deeply unpleasant to live in by the end of the century. By 2030 we might have a few low-lying areas flooded, the occasional crop failure, and an increase in extreme weather events. But most people will be able to carry on much as normal, which is the problem with persuading anyone to take action which will disrupt their lifestyle now.

Status
Not open for further replies.