• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Closed Stations Journey quiz

DerekC

Established Member
If I am reading the itinerary correctly, rather than turning south towards Weymouth we should have kept on westward from Castle Cary Junction to:

Alford Halt

Sorry - Calthrop was right - it's Marston Magna

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DerekC

Established Member

Thorney & Kingsbury Halt

As far as I can ascertain, there was only ever one station site for Yeovil Hendford (which was closed as you correctly say in 1861) and services were then operated from Yeovil Town station.

The original terminus at Yeovil Hendford was about 250 yd east of Yeovil Hendford Halt, which existed from 1932 until the closure of the line in 1964

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
The original terminus at Yeovil Hendford was about 250 yd east of Yeovil Hendford Halt, which existed from 1932 until the closure of the line in 1964

Again, I note what you say and when this current journey was launched, you will note in the itinerary of the published journey preamble that I so described the line in question as being that of the B&ER Yeovil to Taunton Line, which still would allow any station or halt later opened by the GWR, as does so occur on other lines (especially in the area of South Wales where the GWR opened many new halts on existing lines in the 20th century) which therefore are allowable as posting submissions on this quiz.

Therefore it is correct to say that on this particular named line, Hendford Halt should be regarded as being between Yeovil Hendford and Montacute.

Last edited:

Calthrop

Established Member
I was un-scientific about "the Hendfords": saw in atlas, Hendford Halt a very short way after Yeovil Hendford -- thought, "does the Halt count, or is it 'subsumed'? -- eeny, meeny..."; and made the wrong choice by omitting it. Slightly similar situation now -- alternative routes into Taunton, one with no intermediate stops, the other with two. Am figuring that as the old Yeovil & Taunton line, not the early-20th-century main-line cut-off, is concerned, the "intermediate" places are in:

Lyng Halt

Ash Bridge

Established Member
Beam Bridge

My apologies, for some reason I had it in my mind that we were continuing to Cowley Bridge Junction with a reversal at that location, obviously should have refreshed my memory with the preamble.

Last edited:

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
OBSERVATION

The preamble to this journey shows the next line to traverse after the Bristol and Exeter Railway was the Devon and Somerset Railway. We needed to have left the former line at Norton Fitzwarren to do this, meaning the last two postings made of Wellington and Beam Bridge are incorrect and needed to be disregarded.

DerekC

Established Member
OBSERVATION

The preamble to this journey shows the next line to traverse after the Bristol and Exeter Railway was the Devon and Somerset Railway. We needed to have left the former line at Norton Fitzwarren to do this, meaning the last two postings made of Wellington and Beam Bridge are incorrect and needed to be disregarded.

Sorry, my eye slipped a couple of lines:-

Wiveliscombe