• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Closing the gap in Bradford

Status
Not open for further replies.

quantinghome

Established Member
Are you sure, the 62 bus between Keighley & Ilkley takes around 40 minutes. A similarly timed train service via Shipley (which is what I assume you mean) would probably take around 35-40 minutes. However firstly you'd have to find a path to avoid services to Ilkley to Leeds & Bradford, as well as avoiding services from Keighley to Leeds & Bradford. Just because a service doesn't exist, does not mean people aren't travelling between the two (this seems to be a common theme on RUK).

And before anyone pipes up, I am not suggesting that such a service be tried. Repeat I am not suggesting such a service should be tried!
It would be 35 minutes direct (currently 40 minutes with 5 minute change at Shipley), so a little faster.

I'm sure that a fair number of people change at Shipley to travel between Airedale and Wharfedale. Just not near enough to justify a direct service and find paths for it. Which is precisely the same problem that would affect any cross-Bradford service.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bantamzen

Established Member
It would be 35 minutes direct (currently 40 minutes with 5 minute change at Shipley), so a little faster.

I'm sure that a fair number of people change at Shipley to travel between Airedale and Wharfedale. Just not near enough to justify a direct service and find paths for it. Which is precisely the same problem that would affect any cross-Bradford service.
I think the cross Bradford traffic would be a little bigger than Ilkley-Keighley. Well put it this way, there's plenty of traffic doing it each day.

WAO

Just because travel from valley to valley at present isn't great, doesn't mean it would always be so, nor that custom services need be provided. My time in London convinced me that economic (and social) activity is often distributed, not always centralised and that connecting services work. The Tube and the LO/SR networks are the evidence. Although not rail, the M25 has spawned a great deal of growth in the South East, because of improved distributed connectivity.

That's why I'm sympathetic in principle to filling the gap, but admit it's probably far from economic at present because of Bradford's poor town planning when opportunity knocked.

WAO

YorksLad12

Established Member
No direct power over rail, but she could kick up a bit of a stink about the situation which might make a difference. Her Greater Manchester counterpart seems a bit more "hands on" when it comes to rail.
In the interest of transparency: I worked at WYCA last year and drafted some of the statements that appeared in the media. If you remember the IRP event with Oliver Coppard that appeared on Look North, I was there for that (hiding behind the cameraman). Brabin is a train user to and from Leeds via TPE (when they run), and she/we/they do raise TPE's dire performance at appropriate moments. I'd also expect to see something about Northern canning the Huddersfield-Castleford service again soon.

Burnham has had longer to build up a media profile, but no greater rail responsibilities that I'm aware of. TfN were co-signatories to both Northern and TPE franchises (I was there for the signing of the Partnership Agreement, in Liverpool, on my birthday (I'd asked for Linda Lusardi, got Patrick McLoughlin instead)). But we don't have franchises any more, and if we did the TPE one ends on 31 March.

All of which is off topic :D

On topic: it's a question of geography (and geology). Forgetting about through services and just limiting ourselves to a combined station with no reversals means turning the line from Leeds northwards just after Laisterdyke and curving it round, through very buit-up areas. It just can't be done. Mass Transit plans would connect the two stations (no details on exactly how yet), which is the better, cheaper and easier bet.

xotGD

Established Member
Mass Transit plans would connect the two stations (no details on exactly how yet), which is the better, cheaper and easier bet.
Unless my ticket is valid on the interconnecting transit, I'll still be walking. Just like Manchester.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Unless my ticket is valid on the interconnecting transit, I'll still be walking. Just like Manchester.

Fair point. I don't think the thinking on fares has got that far!
It's a shame that Manchester (and Bradford in the event of a future mass transit system) can't have a "Maltese cross" type setup like you get for cross-London journeys via LU.

Also @YorksLad12 thanks for the explanation. I suppose Burnham is a much more seasoned political operator than Brabin.

Veteran Member

From an overall public transport point of view (I deleted "integrated"!) Keighley-Ilkley serves the significant communities of Silsden and Addingham, and the relatively small demand "over the top" between those two provides a useful facility at marginal cost.
A through train service (which no-one is suggesting!) would produce little extra traffic, duplicate existing services throughout and almost certainly abstract from the bus to boot.
Meanwhile back on topic - there is certainly plenty of traffic along the Shipley Airedale Road past Bradford, but without more information as to origins and destinations (@YorksLad12, do you know if this exists?) it's impossible to say what a sensible public transport solution would be.

WAO

Mass Transit plans would connect the two stations (no details on exactly how yet), which is the better, cheaper and easier bet.

Interesting that the high desirability of closing the gap is accepted, even if it means LRT (trams), at c£100M/mile (if the Kirkby scheme estimates are credible).

Perhaps tram/trains may yet run South of Shipley, on to Halifax!

WAO

Glenn1969

Established Member
Interesting that the high desirability of closing the gap is accepted, even if it means LRT (trams), at c£100M/mile (if the Kirkby scheme estimates are credible).

WAO
I live in Halifax. To me anything that speeds up Leeds- Halifax, Bradford- Halifax- Manchester, Leeds- Calder Valley stations and Huddersfield- Calder Valley stations connectivity is welcome

Ken H

On Moderation
Back to the 1980's the Manchester. They ran the Centreline bus between Piccadilly and Victoria Stations. The fare wasnt traumatic. The troll round the city centre was, so unless it was raining, I walked as it was quicker.
All Bradford needs is a minibus between the stations. 15 seater should do it. A £1 fare should be acceptable.

Dr Hoo

Established Member
I live in Halifax. To me anything that speeds up Leeds- Halifax, Bradford- Halifax- Manchester, Leeds- Calder Valley stations and Huddersfield- Calder Valley stations connectivity is welcome
So filling the gap across Central Bradford wouldn’t help you at all then?

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member

WAO
The benefits of a mass-transit system for those places that aren't on the existing railway network would be desirable for sure- and if said system included a line in central Bradford then it would be very silly not to include stops at both railway stations...

But the tail of crossing Bradford and linking the stations shouldn't wag the dog of bringing reliable and environmentally friendly transport to those areas that don't currently have it.

I stand by my position that the idea of linking the stations only gets brought up for spurious reasons such as bufferphobia and wanting a neat map. If the approaches to both stations pointed in the same direction but were the same distance apart, would anyone suggest linking them? Nobody wrings their hands because the Victorians didn't merge Kings Cross with Euston.

WAO

The benefits of a mass-transit system for those places that aren't on the existing railway network would be desirable for sure- and if said system included a line in central Bradford then it would be very silly not to include stops at both railway stations...

But the tail of crossing Bradford and linking the stations shouldn't wag the dog of bringing reliable and environmentally friendly transport to those areas that don't currently have it.

I stand by my position that the idea of linking the stations only gets brought up for spurious reasons such as bufferphobia and wanting a neat map. If the approaches to both stations pointed in the same direction but were the same distance apart, would anyone suggest linking them? Nobody wrings their hands because the Victorians didn't merge Kings Cross with Euston.

Agree that priorities for spending rest elsewhere. Bradford Council had its chance and chose roads.

I don't like decrying others' motives - let's just stick to objective argument.

Parallel stations pointing the same way? Buxton Midland and North Western, Manchester Vic and Exchange,etc?

WAO

YorksLad12

Established Member
Meanwhile back on topic - there is certainly plenty of traffic along the Shipley Airedale Road past Bradford, but without more information as to origins and destinations (@YorksLad12, do you know if this exists?) it's impossible to say what a sensible public transport solution would be.
Not my Bailiwick now, sorry! I'd imagine Bradford Council used to do those destination surveys where they stopped traffic and asked where you were going (got caught up in one of those in Leeds once). It wouldn't be a CA thing to do.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
If I've got a ticket from Bingley to Halifax, why should I pay an extra pound just to make my connection?
Even when the (free) city bus ran in that direction it was far quicker to walk anyway, as the bus did a tour round the university between BDQ and BDI.

xotGD

Established Member
Even when the (free) city bus ran in that direction it was far quicker to walk anyway, as the bus did a tour round the university between BDQ and BDI.
Well there's the problem. A city bus, not a dedicated shuttle.

lachlan

On your last point, I reckon many are routinely inconvenienced by how many journeys are quickest via London and the resulting transfers between terminals. A frequent complaint about HS2 is that it ends at Euston and not Kings Cross/St Pancras and so one will have to walk between the two to transfer to Eurostar.

Walking between the two Glasgow stations is a faff and luckily it's always been good weather when I have had to do so.

The inconvenience will be much greater if you can't walk or use stairs.

quantinghome

Established Member
I think the cross Bradford traffic would be a little bigger than Ilkley-Keighley. Well put it this way, there's plenty of traffic doing it each day.
Depends where the traffic's going of course. How much of it is to/from Halifax and Calder Valley? Those are the only rail destinations south of Bradford which benefit from a crossrail link. Everything else would still be quicker via Leeds.

This is the problem as I see it. The bright lights of Airedale and Wharfedale are just not enticing enough for the good burghers of Halifax. We try our best, but it's just not good enough. Don't want a through train for tea at Bettys? Visit the birthplace of Sooty? Take a saunter through Saltaire? Skipton Castle not good enough for ya? Ilkley's got a lido for crying out loud! What more do you guys need?

YorksLad12

Established Member
This is the problem as I see it. The bright lights of Airedale and Wharfedale are just not enticing enough for the good burghers of Halifax. We try our best, but it's just not good enough. Don't want a through train for tea at Bettys? Visit the birthplace of Sooty? Take a saunter through Saltaire? Skipton Castle not good enough for ya? Ilkley's got a lido for crying out loud! What more do you guys need?
Whereas there's Piece Hall in Halifax. I've always said so...

Veteran Member
You forgot Haworth, the prime tourist destination in the area. Change at Keighley of course )
PS except from Calderdale, when the B3 bus would still beat a cross Bradford rail link.

Ken H

On Moderation
You forgot Haworth, the prime tourist destination in the area. Change at Keighley of course )
PS except from Calderdale, when the B3 bus would still beat a cross Bradford rail link.
Or the 502 from Halifax

Arkeeos

I think if you were to do any railway project in Bradford it would be far better to replace Bradford interchange with a through station. Linking both stations would if anything cement the reversing.

Bantamzen

Established Member
Depends where the traffic's going of course. How much of it is to/from Halifax and Calder Valley? Those are the only rail destinations south of Bradford which benefit from a crossrail link. Everything else would still be quicker via Leeds.
This is the billion dollar question, just where is all the traffic going? All I can be truly sure of is that the traffic flowing north-south through Shipley & Bradford isn't going to Leeds, but they still go especially in rush hours. I do know that the are very regular traffic counts in this road corridor, but numbers alone won't reveal just where the traffic is going. That's going to need a much more detailed study. Perhaps if a West Yorkshire tram network ever gets beyond aspirational status, more studies can be conducted to figure out where it might best serve places like Bradford (if indeed at all). But this is all a very, very long way off.

So before the contest to find as many routes that might be quicker by bus gets too heated, allow me to reiterate my point here, as members often get carried away. I do not expect there ever to be a heavy rail link across Bradford, be it conventional or high speed. Maybe one day a tram network might find it's way across, but that's as much as the city can expect. I hope that makes my position clear.

However until such possible times, the situation remains. There are very large flows that are not being attracted to public transport, and its not a surprise for anyone actually living in Bradford. A combination of covid restrictions, industrial action, cutbacks and a disjointed rail network means that many people still prefer to drive over the trains. And the bus network having been slashed in the last decade, and now so unreliable in the region that it makes even TPE look effective, means that buses are even less attractive again, although the flat £2 single fares have seen an uptick in ridership from what I can see (Northern, take note!). Currently Bradford's Clean Air Zone (CAZ) does not cover private vehicles, the general consensus here is that this is only a matter of time. So the time may not be far way were some drivers might actually start to look for alternatives. So I propose a cheap 'n' cheerful medium term solution to the problem of better linking the two Bradford stations. Build a covered walkway from Forster Square to the Broadway, and another from the Broadway over Hall Ings and towards the Interchange. It was actually suggested back in 2003/4 when the Broadway construction, well at least digging the hole started, and would offer a relatively cheap way of linking all three.

Now surely nobody could object to that, indeed for the most part it could be financed by Bradford itself, thereby negating the risk of upsetting members of these forums with the thought of ploughing any kind of money in the direction of my home city.... ;)

I think if you were to do any railway project in Bradford it would be far better to replace Bradford interchange with a through station. Linking both stations would if anything cement the reversing.
The reversing is very much cemented I'm afraid!

Ken H

On Moderation
Google Maps shows the route from the Aire Valley and Wharfedale to the M1 south as through Shipley and Bradford and M62. Sometimes straight through the centre, sometimes round the western ring road. But people who know their way round go through Leeds*, but there must be a fair view just following their satnav.
If these journeys were to convert to rail then they would go via Leeds.

Bantamzen

Established Member
Google Maps shows the route from the Aire Valley and Wharfedale to the M1 south as through Shipley and Bradford and M62. Sometimes straight through the centre, sometimes round the western ring road. But people who know their way round go through Leeds*, but there must be a fair view just following their satnav.
If these journeys were to convert to rail then they would go via Leeds.
If they are going towards the M1, not all will be.

quantinghome

Established Member
This is the billion dollar question, just where is all the traffic going? All I can be truly sure of is that the traffic flowing north-south through Shipley & Bradford isn't going to Leeds, but they still go especially in rush hours. I do know that the are very regular traffic counts in this road corridor, but numbers alone won't reveal just where the traffic is going. That's going to need a much more detailed study.
We can make a pretty educated guess based on google journey planner and the size of settlements. Excluding short journeys within Bradford itself, destinations will be:

1 Central West Yorks (aka Heavy Woollen District, Cleckheckmondsedge)
2 Huddersfield
3 Manchester and destinations further west
4 Wakefield and destinations further south and east (from Airedale, not Wharfedale)
5 Halifax (from a limited number of locations north of Bradford)

From this it's easy to see why Shipley-Airedale road is an important link for many journeys. But of these destinations, (1) is a railway desert, (2), (3) and (4) will always be better served via Leeds by rail even with Bradford Crossrail, which leaves (5). Which isn't much in terms of rail demand.

Why is this? Well, the problem with Bradford's rail network isn't merely the lack of a cross-city link; it's the tortuously slow approach from the South as well. Hence why the early C20th Midland Railway proposed 'Bradford Through Lines' scheme included a completely new line through Dewsbury:

1677850874060.png

Bantamzen

Established Member
We can make a pretty educated guess based on google journey planner and the size of settlements. Excluding short journeys within Bradford itself, destinations will be:

1 Central West Yorks (aka Heavy Woollen District, Cleckheckmondsedge)
2 Huddersfield
3 Manchester and destinations further west
4 Wakefield and destinations further south and east (from Airedale, not Wharfedale)
5 Halifax (from a limited number of locations north of Bradford)

From this it's easy to see why Shipley-Airedale road is an important link for many journeys. But of these destinations, (1) is a railway desert, (2), (3) and (4) will always be better served via Leeds by rail even with Bradford Crossrail, which leaves (5). Which isn't much in terms of rail demand.

Why is this? Well, the problem with Bradford's rail network isn't merely the lack of a cross-city link; it's the tortuously slow approach from the South as well. Hence why the early C20th Midland Railway proposed 'Bradford Through Lines' scheme included a completely new line through Dewsbury:

View attachment 130173
And all the businesses and industry between all these...

But again I'm not making the case for it, at least not any more (a decade ago I was when the Broadway had not been built). I would love if in some alternate universe it came to pass, but it won't.

JKF

This is the billion dollar question, just where is all the traffic going? All I can be truly sure of is that the traffic flowing north-south through Shipley & Bradford isn't going to Leeds, but they still go especially in rush hours. I do know that the are very regular traffic counts in this road corridor, but numbers alone won't reveal just where the traffic is going. That's going to need a much more detailed study.
They can and do work out traffic movements on this kind of scale using aggregated mobile phone data, that would give a good indication of where demand is. I suspect they will do that kind of modelling should any Yorks metro scheme start being seriously considered.

Status
Not open for further replies.