• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Clwydian Railways - New open access operator between Wales & Marylebone

Status
Not open for further replies.

James90012

Largely because they had insufficient stock for their core operation plus would be wasting paths with 2 car units. If enough stock was ordered to run a decent long formation which could also offer capacity to Chiltern passengers, that'd be quite different.

I don't think I would oppose a six car 197 formation with First Class from Pwllheli and Aberystwyth running through to London on Chiltern.
I'd agree, but probably in a world where HS2 wasn't happening. I wonder if from this area it's better to have trains running to Crewe to connect with HS2 services every 2 hours as well as the Birmingham every 2 hours?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I'd agree, but probably in a world where HS2 wasn't happening. I wonder if from this area it's better to have trains running to Crewe to connect with HS2 services every 2 hours as well as the Birmingham every 2 hours?

I do think HS2 will change things, and it may indeed be that an hourly service from Holyhead to Birmingham Intl via Crewe and Stafford (as operated in the 1990s, and is much quicker than via Shrewsbury) is of more benefit and better use of the 805s post HS2 than a bitty London service. People will probably mostly change to HS2 at Crewe as it'll be much quicker.

anthony263

Established Member
Unable to rescue for the want of one coupler pin in the wrong place, oh the ignominy.

I assume all of this was pre the buyout of Chiltern by Arriva? I seem to recall pre WMSR there was at least one Chiltern 168? football special to Shrewsbury.
I’ve got a photo in my collection i
Bought at a bus show recently of a chiltern 168 at Wrexham general covering for a failed loco hauled sett. According to the Wrexham and Shropshire book I have it was mentioned in there at least one wsmr driver could drive 168’s

BenS123

According to Companies House - they appear to have applied to be struck off the companies register on the 26th July, then withdrawn that application a day later.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
As this does not appear to be a serious proposal at this stage we will bring this thread to a close. If anyone spots any significant developments then please contact any forum staff member and we will look to have the thread reopened.

Status
Not open for further replies.