• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Colas Rail Class 37s

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ash Bridge

Established Member
Just seen a shot of one of the above workings, formed of a single class 37/6 with a rake of 6 former FGW Motorail vans, described as a driver training run, can anyone enlighten me anymore?

Thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

455driver

Veteran Member
There is already a thread about this, it is because GBRF (or was it COLAS :|) are taking over the NMT and their drivers need some practice at class 1 work.

Ash Bridge

Established Member
There is already a thread about this, it is because GBRF (or was it COLAS :|) are taking over the NMT and their drivers need some practice at class 1 work.

Ah, thanks for that, I'd searched before but couldn't find anything, (and still can't)

fgwrich

Established Member

It is indeed Colas Rail - Quite a surprise (or not!) to see DB lose another chunk of work! Expect to see a few more Class 37s returning to the mainline soon, including HNRC BR Green 37057 and BR Blue 37207.

455driver

Veteran Member
Ah, thanks for that, I'd searched before but couldn't find anything, (and still can't)

Neither can I! :lol:
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
It is indeed Colas Rail - Quite a surprise (or not!) to see DB lose another chunk of work! Expect to see a few more Class 37s returning to the mainline soon, including HNRC BR Green 37057 and BR Blue 37207.

So Dave did sell it on, I thought he would.

Ash Bridge

Established Member
I see they're using DRS 37s but I thought Colas had their own, why would they not train on those?
Neither can I! :lol:

Thanks for admitting that, thought it was just my usual ineptitude :lol:

Ash Bridge

Established Member
@AshBridge I'd imagine all Colas's other 37s were otherwise engaged or undergoing maintenance. Just hope that the heritage liveries stay on the HNRC locos.

Cheers, that sounds like a sensible and obvious reason and one that hadn't occurred to me,

Note that I did mention my ineptitude in my last post ;)

fgwrich

Established Member
@AshBridge I'd imagine all Colas's other 37s were otherwise engaged or undergoing maintenance. Just hope that the heritage liveries stay on the HNRC locos.

I'm not sure about 207 - although I'd say it's pretty likely to remain blue but 057 will stay Green. Some prep work to recertify it has already taken place, if you look at pictures of it at the Wensleydale Railway you can just about see the Orange OTMR box up near the middle cab window - it has also gained at high intensity headlight since Swanage as well.

Chris125

Established Member

I think it's been mentioned on wnxx that 37057 is now owned by Colas.

Ash Bridge

Established Member
That looks absolutely superb, and the finishing touch is those restored split headcode boxes :)

fgwrich

Established Member
It looks like the Colas Fleet is set to expand again, with Colas now either owning or on hire 37057, 116, 188, 207 and 254, either now with or expected to join the fleet.

057 should now be around Canton at the moment on Driver Familierisation or training and has ventured out both to Newport and Hereford to rescue a DRS hire to Colas 37 on a test run.

sd0733

Established Member
37116 was at Crewe aroound 13:00 today with an NR test train and DBSO in tow.

richieb1971

Established Member
I very much doubt Colas is procuring assets so that they can run a service at a loss. They maybe running services at a cost that means they can procure more assets though.

ExRes

Established Member
I very much doubt Colas is procuring assets so that they can run a service at a loss. They maybe running services at a cost that means they can procure more assets though.

Absolutely, Colas have invested a lot recently, 10 totally refurbished Class 60s, 10 brand new 70s with another 7 on order and the refurbished 56s and 37s, not to mention the personnel to operate them, no way are they anything other than committed to the long term

furnessvale

Established Member

As a new entrant, they probably have a lower set of overheads to contend with?

Bertie the bus

Established Member
Colas aren't a new entrant into the UK railfreight market. They've been running steel trains for over 5 years and the Carlisle - Chirk logs for over 10. Every time they pick up extra contracts, especially from DBS, somebody claims they are running at a loss. I don't believe it for one second.

furnessvale

Established Member
Colas aren't a new entrant into the UK railfreight market. They've been running steel trains for over 5 years and the Carlisle - Chirk logs for over 10. Every time they pick up extra contracts, especially from DBS, somebody claims they are running at a loss. I don't believe it for one second.

"New entrant" is a comparative term. I am well aware of what contracts they hold and when.

HLE

Established Member

Honestly can see DB losing yet more work.

More and more class 66's must be lying around, yes some are exported but not all.

Are we really going to get to the point where the class 37's in service are passing class 66's that are in storage?

Moodster020

Honestly can see DB losing yet more work.

More and more class 66's must be lying around, yes some are exported but not all.

Are we really going to get to the point where the class 37's in service are passing class 66's that are in storage?
37s get the job over 66's as they have a greater route availability. And cheaper to run (for infrastructure trains).

HLE

Established Member
On the basis that it appears DB are losing work left right and centre to the likes of Colas and DRS. Now while they have modern locos in their fleets, they are also currently having 37's refurbished at Barrow Hill for a return to mainline use to cover the extra work.

Status
Not open for further replies.