• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cold evening phone calling

Status
Not open for further replies.

strange6

Established Member
Even though I'm on the TPS (Telephone Preference Service), I'm starting to get a lot of cold phone calls from various agencies wanting me to buy everything from Insurnace to Double glazing. At one time, i would simply put the phone down on them but take a tip from me; just put the phone down making sure it's left off the hook for a good half hour and go and do something else. This costs them money and blocks their line for that amount of time. I know for a fact this infuriates them and you'll soon be off their list as a result.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LE Greys

Established Member
I've sometimes put the phone on speaker and just gone away. Another twist might be, "Can you hang on, please?" and play Vivaldi's "Four Seasons" down the line, just to see how long they hang on.

I recently discovered that my great uncle (who was stationed in India in WW2 and spoke good Urdu) would sometimes get into conversation with the operator on the other end about where they lived, what the weather was like, current events, anything he could think of. He never bought anything, but could hold the operator up for half an hour. It was a public service, he (being retired) had plenty of time and they would not call anyone else while speaking to him.

devon_metro

Established Member
A fun one is asking for credit card details of the caller to bill them for your time. £50 an hour is often a nice fee to charge.

alexjames

I'm a tad surprised that the OP is getting junk calls after signing up with the TPS. They normally stop a few months after registration when the number gets into most or all of the delinquents' software.

I suggest he checks with the TPS that he is properly registered.

I've been registered for yonks but continue to get one or two per month from fraudsters attempting to sell me bogus investments.

My response to each and every call is vile abuse - currently "**** off and die". If everybody else did the same, the problem would cease within a month because I think it impossible to hire people to make junk calls when they are going to receive such abuse fifty times an hour.

ralphchadkirk

Established Member
As I was once told by someone in a call centre, it's best not to abuse the people on the other end because if they're ringing you then they've got your name and address...

passmore

As I was once told by someone in a call centre, it's best not to abuse the people on the other end because if they're ringing you then they've got your name and address...

All that means is they've got your name and address for cold calling in future.

I doubt very much they report any abusive calls.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
I'm a tad surprised that the OP is getting junk calls after signing up with the TPS. They normally stop a few months after registration when the number gets into most or all of the delinquents' software.

I suggest he checks with the TPS that he is properly registered.

I've been registered for yonks but continue to get one or two per month from fraudsters attempting to sell me bogus investments.

The TPS will only prevent junk calls from within this country, not from overseas. It also only works with sales organisations that have signed up to it...

theblackwatch

Established Member
Do you advertise your number in the phone book? I'm registered with TPS and ex-directory, and very rarely get such calls.

alexjames

Peter M above is only half right.

It is a specific offence for UK callers to make unsolicited calls to TPS numbers
where no previous relationship exists. Its not voluntary in any way. There may be confusion here with the junk mail equivalent which is voluntary.

As Peter points out, it doesn't stop overseas calls. The fraudsters trying to mug me sound like they are overseas. Such operations used to be widespread
in the Netherlands because Dutch law lacked an effective sanction against conspiracies to defraud foreigners. The Dutch changed the law a few years ago and the fraudsters appear to have moved elsewhere - India or thereabouts judging by accents.

Going ex-directory does not always work either. Random number dialling machines will beat that.

Tom B

Established Member
Remember that genuine market research is also exempt from the TPS provisions. However, if you don't want to be contacted by a research company, say "I never wish you to re-contact me again" - this obliges them to do so. Don't have a rant about how you're TPS registered (because it's irrelevant) and how you're ex-directory (because researchers use random dialling or lists from clients) - well, unless you want to give the operator something to talk about at teabreak.

strange6

Established Member
I ended up getting one of these: http://www.truecall.co.uk/

Pricey but well worth it as I can't switch the phone off because I am caring for an elderly relative.

There was something similar on Dragons' Den not long back. One of the most successful pitches ever - the Dragons' were fighting each other for a slice of the action. Earned the inventor a lot of money I believe

Geezertronic

Established Member
When I moved house a couple of years ago I had to get a new number from VirginMedia, get a few calls a day now even after signing up for TPS

John Webb

Established Member
It is mostly call centres in Asia which are the problem as they are not covered by the Telephone Preference Service.
Besides the gadget shown by table38 above, most telephone service providers can either give you caller identification or block calls from callers who withhold their number.

I've recently adopted the tactic of saying to these callers, as if playing from a recording, something along the lines of:
"It is noted that you have withheld your number. Mr Webb refuses to speak to anyone who is rude enough to ring him without giving their number. If you wish to speak with Mr Webb please ring him without withholding your number. Goodbye."
My 'cold calls' in the past two months have dropped to about 20% of the level they used to be at!

strange6

Established Member
Considering that it says "as seen on Dragons' Den" at the top of the page, I'd guess it's more than just similar ;)

Oh yeah! lol Thanks for that but it was a hell of a lot cheaper back then! I'm amazed at how much it now costs. Almost doubled in price over 2 or 3 years!

O L Leigh

Established Member
I'm not ex-directory but am on the TPS list, but having worked in telecoms regulation before joining the railway I am aware of the shortcomings of this system. However, I only get cold calls from one source, and that is the persistent "There is something wrong with your PC" scam. Admittedly I did lose my temper with the last one who called and gave him such a hard time that we haven't had any more for a while, but I expect they will be back.

I tend to find asking them awkward questions about who they really are, the name of the company they work for, the name of the company they represent, the purpose of the call and what will happen with any information they give me tends to put them off. I also ask to speak to a supervisor, usually to be told that there isn't one. Honestly, this lot must think I came down in the last shower.

O L Leigh

Whenever i get a cold call, i just pick up the phone, and wait for the person to speak, then talk over them. Then carry on talking over them...

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
A few years ago on a different landline number we were frequently called from the same company. I never even said anything, just hung up, but one night I told them that they had called the police station. Probably a bit naughty, but at no point did I imitate a police officer and I never got a call again.

Back in one evening in December my parents had a one-off call on their landline asking to speak to me (I don't live there anymore) to ask if I was there and wanted to make a civil injury claim for the car crash I had been in. Not being aware of any crashes they were quite rightly alarmed and tried to get hold of me. Unfortunately it was the night of the work's christmas party so I was uncontactable. The next day they were relieved to hear from me but told me how worried they were and wanting to know more about this car crash. Not having been involved in any such incident I reassured them that I was okay, but decided to return the message left by the claims company to give them an earful about how irresponsible they are. I was told that they had called me after being given my details by a car insurance company whom I had obtained a quote from. As I had a zero-year no claims bonus they wanted to encourage me to claim for my accident. Had they looked at the length of time I have been a license holder they may have realised that I had a zero-year no claims bonus because at the time of applying for the insurance I was a new driver :rolleyes:

Mvann

We have 2 little used numbers at work and sometimes get cold calls after hours. Had fun one night cause they phoned the Santa booking line, so I tried selling them tickets. Didn't sell any, but they have never phoned back.

devon_metro

Established Member
A few years ago on a different landline number we were frequently called from the same company. I never even said anything, just hung up, but one night I told them that they had called the police station. Probably a bit naughty, but at no point did I imitate a police officer and I never got a call again.

Back in one evening in December my parents had a one-off call on their landline asking to speak to me (I don't live there anymore) to ask if I was there and wanted to make a civil injury claim for the car crash I had been in. Not being aware of any crashes they were quite rightly alarmed and tried to get hold of me. Unfortunately it was the night of the work's christmas party so I was uncontactable. The next day they were relieved to hear from me but told me how worried they were and wanting to know more about this car crash. Not having been involved in any such incident I reassured them that I was okay, but decided to return the message left by the claims company to give them an earful about how irresponsible they are. I was told that they had called me after being given my details by a car insurance company whom I had obtained a quote from. As I had a zero-year no claims bonus they wanted to encourage me to claim for my accident. Had they looked at the length of time I have been a license holder they may have realised that I had a zero-year no claims bonus because at the time of applying for the insurance I was a new driver :rolleyes:

I frequently receive texts from a claim management company saying I am able to claim £3750 for an accident i've been in. Might take them up on the offer and get some money for an accident I haven't had :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.