• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cold war hot jets -railway clips

Status
Not open for further replies.

theageofthetra

On Moderation
Finally got round to watching the 1st episode of this outstanding 2 part BBC4 series on British jet aircraft.

In the first episode there are occasional very high quality colour 35mm 'stock shots' of the City in what is supposed to be the early 50's - I guess some artistic licence has been used and the film is probably v early 60's or late 50's?. Some of the shots show the exterior of Cannon St, an EMU heading towards Holborn Viaduct (with a Scammel Dray on the street below!) & a shot of a London Terminus. Its this one I can't work out- no sign of any steam,overall roof, signs for Platforms 14 & 15 , some sort of suburban EMU at the stops and on the far left a Midland region (?) set of red carriages/EMU. I am guessing Broad St or Liverpool St? & if anyone knows what source material this bit of very high quality colour film comes from originally I would love to know.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorksrob

Veteran Member
A fascinating programme.

In many ways it would seem that the Victor bore some resemblance to a more successful equivalent of the APT, having the most cutting edge technology of the time, whereas the Vulcan could perhaps be described as the InterCity 125 of the V force, using more established technology but outlasting its more hi-tec counterparts.

Discuss.....

theageofthetra

On Moderation
I thought the Vulcan lasted well because it adapted to the cobbled-together low-level role which none of the V Force were ever designed to do. The greatest loss were the civilian/transport versions that were either still born or destroyed by the behaviour of BOAC. Anyone fancy the Avro Atlantic?

Status
Not open for further replies.