• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Colour vision

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skymonster

Established Member
I don't mean my comments to be controversial. I just find it fascinating that a small number of people are failing this test and can pass an alternative one. Until today I though it was the definitive test.

I can't comment on the reliability of Ishihara but I can certainly point to the UK Civil Aviation Authority and almost every other aviation authority in the world who wll allow a candidate to fly unrestrictedly having failed Ishihara, if they can pass other designated tests such as Latern and some CAD tests. It is bizarre therefore that the railway doesn't take a broadly similar approach, other than it falling into the "too difficult" or "there's plenty more where this failed candidate came from" categories

Andy

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TDK

Established Member
Yes it does seem to be one solution but cannot always be successful. One problem with "the alternative test" is that employers ONLY accept the Ishihara test and are reluctant to consider any alternatives or even consider the Ishihara test result is wrong.

Steve
www.wsr.org.uk

How do you know that? If you want a SC job, take the alternative test, pass it and then contact the TOC, tell them the situation and just ask them if they accept the results of any other test - simple solution

WSW

How do you know that? If you want a SC job, take the alternative test, pass it and then contact the TOC, tell them the situation and just ask them if they accept the results of any other test - simple solution

Has anyone here actually failed the Ishihara test when applying for a SC job on the UK railways (inc heritage)? I gave up a volunteer guard role because that company would only accept Ishihara (and still do) for all staff on SC jobs.

I note the CAA charge £125 for their CAD colour vision test which is carried out at Gatwick so with travel costs that's more than £200 to fork out to prove the Ishihara test is faulty and with no guarantee that the company will even accept an alternative. Not quite so simple.

The clear way forward is for rail companies to accept alternative tests/certification but even though I'm sure rail companies want good competent people, I guess that's unlikely.

Steve
www.wsr.org.uk

Skymonster

Established Member
After being subjected to it on many occasions, I've found that I can do/pass the Ishihara in natural light, but I know I'll struggle in normal artificial room light (domestic bulbs) and won't get a few of the plates. What that says about the reliability of Ishihara or my colour vision versus someone who can do Ishihara in any light I don't know. But to me it does throw the test into some sort of question. I don't work on the railway but I do hold a pilots licence - I was "lucky" that I did my initial medical in natural light and so had no issues with the colour vision test, and as colour vision isn't usually tested on renewal there's been no challenges since.

TDK

Established Member
Has anyone here actually failed the Ishihara test when applying for a SC job on the UK railways (inc heritage)? I gave up a volunteer guard role because that company would only accept Ishihara (and still do) for all staff on SC jobs.

I note the CAA charge £125 for their CAD colour vision test which is carried out at Gatwick so with travel costs that's more than £200 to fork out to prove the Ishihara test is faulty and with no guarantee that the company will even accept an alternative. Not quite so simple.

The clear way forward is for rail companies to accept alternative tests/certification but even though I'm sure rail companies want good competent people, I guess that's unlikely.

Steve
www.wsr.org.uk

Most people who are colour blind know and don't bother applying

WSW

Most people who are colour blind know and don't bother applying

Yes that's probably correct. But included in the people you describe are those who are hoodwinked into thinking they are colour blind after failing Ishihara when in fact they are not.

Those who know they are not colour blind remain stuck with an incompetent test which the employers refuse to admit or change.

Steve
www.wsr.org.uk

Alan1310

So are we saying for def that if you fail the Ishra plates it's a no go or can you request another test please only answer if your sure cheers

Concor

To point out guys. i have always been told that i had red-green colour blindness, have failed the ishrat test, but i have had a 6 year career in the armed forces as a para (red-green lights to tell you to jump) and also 2 years as a lynx pilot. I have passed both the city test and also the more common modern version test for pilots and and the armed forces in general called the Farnsworth lantern test link:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Farnsworth_Lantern_Test which is constantly improved and judges severity of colour blindness.

Status
Not open for further replies.