• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Comedic "things you would ban": minor things that irritate you

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Was it, perhaps, support for the introduction of an anti-strike law against one's memory?

The strike against one's memory is still going on, as I still don't remember what it was! Oh well!

One from today, people having loud phone calls discussing sensitive information such as a family member being sectioned. I discuss this a bit more in my trip report, but that phone call went on for ages and I was glad when she got off the train! Let's just say this woman was not a pleasant soul!

Pinza-C55

Threads with giant titles in bold font. It's the Internet equivalent of shouting and very rude.

Purple Train

Established Member
I have apparently posted 51 (now 52) messages in this thread, or about 10% of my entire output - I think the most I've posted on any thread, excepting the Quizzes and Games forum. What this says about me I'm not quite sure! :lol:

As summer is rolling around again, I'm getting increasingly irritated, as the following things are on my "banned list":
Shorts
Flip-flops
Vests/tank tops/whatever on earth they're known as now in "trendy circles"
The aforementioned "trendy circles", although that is not summer-specific
I would also ban skateboards: that isn't really summer-specific but they do get more commonly utilised now the weather's warmer

Acey

People who rave on about French cuisine ,personally I think it's over-hyped ,over-priced fancy looking codswallop ,anyway, while they were shelling peas and cockles, we were shelling Germans and Italians ( now their food is something else )

jfollows

Established Member
I love just about all food, not least French, but the thing I like most about France is the attitude towards food, that eating is invariably a good thing to be enjoyed, and if you arrive at a restaurant for lunch at 2pm you'll usually be welcomed in.
In contrast, what irritates me with some countries is the way you can't get anything to eat unless you conform with their idea of the right time to eat - Spain, for example. It's very tiresome trying to find something to eat there when I want to eat, which is clearly too early for them.
Ironically just about the only food I can't eat any more is French, that's to say snails, which I have always liked enormously, but which my body has decided aren't good for me any more. Maybe I had my "lifetime quota" of them and my body said "enough"? I've tried snails twice in France and once in Spain with the same negative effect, so it's not a one-off. Anyway, if that's all I can't eat nowadays I'm happy enough. As long as I can find a restaurant willing to serve me when I'm hungry .......

Purple Train

Established Member
I love just about all food, not least French, but the thing I like most about France is the attitude towards food, that eating is invariably a good thing to be enjoyed, and if you arrive at a restaurant for lunch at 2pm you'll usually be welcomed in.
In contrast, what irritates me with some countries is the way you can't get anything to eat unless you conform with their idea of the right time to eat - Spain, for example. It's very tiresome trying to find something to eat there when I want to eat, which is clearly too early for them.
Ironically just about the only food I can't eat any more is French, that's to say snails, which I have always liked enormously, but which my body has decided aren't good for me any more. Maybe I had my "lifetime quota" of them and my body said "enough"? I've tried snails twice in France and once in Spain with the same negative effect, so it's not a one-off. Anyway, if that's all I can't eat nowadays I'm happy enough. As long as I can find a restaurant willing to serve me when I'm hungry .......
Ah, Spanish restaurants. I've been abroad once in my life - to Spain, many years ago, when I was young enough to have had no choice in the matter. The food was excellent. The wandering around nondescript city streets waiting for the restaurant to open was less excellent.
If I ever go abroad again (which I'm not planning on doing), I'm thinking about going to Germany, because hitherto my only experience of German sausages have been of German sausages sourced from a burger van in Mansfield.

Howardh

Established Member
Any print at home tickets when they charge an admin fee. What a cheek, I'm doing all the admin.
Exactly. It's a right scandal. I wanted to go to a charity - charity gawdammit - game, the ticket would have cost £6 but the booking fee was more than 25% of that on top. Fortunately the organisers were as aghast as me and made it clear via social media etc while they were contractually obliged for that one game, they wouldn't use them again and fans could either pay on the day at the ticket office, or collect a paper ticket from the ground at no extra charge.

Ban booking fees, or at least reduce to pennies when it's print-at-home or on-phone where post and paper isn't required. This rip-off is almost as bad as printing ink.

jfollows

Established Member
If I ever go abroad again (which I'm not planning on doing), I'm thinking about going to Germany, because hitherto my only experience of German sausages have been of German sausages sourced from a burger van in Mansfield.
My advice for German food, for what it's worth, is it's all great except for anything that might look "Italian" because my experience is that the germanic version of this food is stodgy and heavy, quite unlike the original version. And the sausages are great, I agree.

Purple Train

Established Member
My advice for German food, for what it's worth, is it's all great except for anything that might look "Italian" because my experience is that the Germanic version of this food is stodgy and heavy, quite unlike the original version. And the sausages are great, I agree.
While on the subject, what do you think of Italian food? :D

Also while on the subject, I would ban Bake Off. No idea why, I just hate it. Why can't the judges be grateful for what they have like we were taught as children? :lol::lol::lol:

jfollows

Established Member
While on the subject, what do you think of Italian food? :D

Also while on the subject, I would ban Bake Off. No idea why, I just hate it. Why can't the judges be grateful for what they have like we were taught as children? :lol::lol::lol:
I love all food, and Italian is no exception to this, just not in Germany; it's generally light and fresh and green where those are appropriate attributes and enjoyable. Bologna is the place to go for food in particular, but I've had good food elsewhere in Italy and am sure that I'd love the food in parts I haven't yet been to (such as Sicily).

And, no, I can't stand Bake Off. I liked it when it was new and different, and didn't think too much of itself, but now it's pretentious and silly and I can't stand it.

PS But Italian restaurants in the UK which have more words on their menus than today's edition of The Times and 403 menu options are to be avoided, nonetheless!

Last edited:

Herefordian

Waiting all morning for a parcel which doesn't turn up.

Then the postie arrives when I need a PNB or I'm in the kitchen or shower.

dangie

Established Member

Strat-tastic

Established Member
To coin a phrase, when in Spain eat when the Spaniards eat ;)

bspahh

Established Member
To coin a phrase, when in Spain eat when the Spaniards eat ;)
For entertainment value, I can recommend wandering around a suburb in Spain with a famished grumpy German, for whom 7pm is closer to their bedtime, than the start time for anywhere to serve hot food.

dangie

Established Member
Cafes where you have to queue at the counter to order. They give you a number. Then you sit down and wait. Then they call your number and you have to go up to the counter to collect your meal.

Yes I know I could use a different cafe but not if that is the only one.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Just had to replace our Carbon Monoxide monitor in the kitchen. Old one was life expired. Have bought a direct replacement. Pleased to say new one takes 2 AA batteries. Old one took 3. Progress.
I'd like to ban my landlord who insists I need to arrange a time for someone to come and check my CO alarm... slight issue with that, my flat doesn't have a CO alarm and doesn't need one as there's no mains gas in the building! I've only told him that about six times in email replies so far.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I'd like to ban my landlord who insists I need to arrange a time for someone to come and check my CO alarm... slight issue with that, my flat doesn't have a CO alarm and doesn't need one as there's no mains gas in the building! I've only told him that about six times in email replies so far.

I guess the only way for that to be successfully dealt with is to let them go and check, and for them to tell the landlord off for wasting their time!