• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Comedic "things you would ban": minor things that irritate you

birchesgreen

Established Member
Same goes for Facebook to be honest. It seems dangerous and foolish to allow the playgrounds of childish multi-millionaires to become essential for the distribution of information.
Short term gain, save some money from having a website but you leave yourself at the mercy of billionaire morons, but no one thinks about the long term anymore.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Statto

Established Member
Is their anyway to disable the, "Messages have been posted since you loaded this page", banner which often pops up to when your typing a post, it's really distracting & off putting, & i often lose concentration on what i'm typing out when this irritating feature appears.:{

AM9

Veteran Member
Is their anyway to disable the, "Messages have been posted since you loaded this page", banner which often pops up to when your typing a post, it's really distracting & off putting, & i often lose concentration on what i'm typing out when this irritating feature appears.:{
Sometimes it is of benefit to prevent repetition, from multiple posters, or at other times, the thread takes a different direction.

Old Yard Dog

Established Member
Actors and actresses who spoil long running TV series by leaving because they "didn't want to be typecast".

Stephen Tomkinson, Dervla Kirwan, Patrick Duffy, Victoria Principal, and most of the Dr Who's come to mind

AM9

Veteran Member
Actors and actresses who spoil long running TV series by leaving because they "didn't want to be typecast".

Stephen Tomkinson, Dervla Kirwan, Patrick Duffy, Victoria Principal, and most of the Dr Who's come to mind
I think the Doctor Who changes are dictated by the commisioning producer/director of programmes. The changes are built into the whole Dr Who concept, rather than the actors not wanting to get typecasted.

Monarch010

Can we ban people who confuse the word "exasperate" with "exacerbate"?

I've lost count of the times I've heard even professional TV reporters say things like "Conditions were further exasperated by heavy rain".

I'm sure it was somewhat exasperating to be caught in the heavy rain, but that's not how English works. Don't think I've ever heard it the other way round though.
Same goes for mitigate and militate.
Not a few journalists on TV and radio talk about mitigating against some adverse happening.

Chrysalis

Can we ban:

- Wall to wall carpet. Unhygienic and doesn't look as nice as hardwood floor.

- Not stirring properly. The spoon/spatula should go in a gentle circular motion, not violently back and forth.

It is very important that these things are made illegal.

Sun Chariot

Established Member
2 miles and 50 years away from the Longmoor Milita
Can we ban:

- Wall to wall carpet. Unhygienic and doesn't look as nice as hardwood floor.

- Not stirring properly. The spoon/spatula should go in a gentle circular motion, not violently back and forth.

It is very important that these things are made illegal.
A ban on all carpet in bathrooms. It's not only outdated, it's unhygienic.

Also, ban all rooms with exposed beams. Which pretty much blights every property on " Escape to the Country".

And ban all men who sit legs akimbo on public transport. Not only does it take up seating space for those either side of the offender, it means the person opposite is subjected to a grim sight / a sweaty waft.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Same goes for mitigate and militate.
Not a few journalists on TV and radio talk about mitigating against some adverse happening.
Funnily enough a few days after making the post you quoted, I did encounter a YouTube video (can't remember who the creator was) which did in fact use "exacerbate" in place of "exasperate".

Must admit I'm not sure your example quite fits the point I was making. To "mitigate" is to lessen the impact of an adverse event or circumstance, such as evidence submitted in mitigation against a criminal charge. To "militate" is not.

jfollows

Established Member
I think the point was that “mitigate against” is thought (by some) to be poor usage, and just “mitigate” suffices when the word is used as a verb.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
I think the point was that “mitigate against” is thought (by some) to be poor usage, and just “mitigate” suffices when the word is used as a verb.
The post was about someone using "mitigate" in place of "militate", the latter of which is a fairly obscure term meaning "to fight". In the example given, it wasn't obvious which term was the malapropism. Without further context, either could be considered correct.
I think it's similar to "advocate for" in that regard. The "for" isn't really needed.
That does make sense... Though this does show how English is a bit of a clunky and awkward language at times. In spoken English, saying that you'll "advocate for" a person sounds more natural than saying you'll "advocate" someone, even though the latter may be grammatically correct.

Chrysalis

A ban on all carpet in bathrooms. It's not only outdated, it's unhygienic.

Also, ban all rooms with exposed beams. Which pretty much blights every property on " Escape to the Country".

And ban all men who sit legs akimbo on public transport. Not only does it take up seating space for those either side of the offender, it means the person opposite is subjected to a grim sight / a sweaty waft.
Exposed beams do collect dust but they look very nice...

dangie

Established Member
My first morning irritation. I’m sure more will follow.

When I read an article which contains buzzwords I haven’t a clue what they mean so I have to look them up.

From the BBC website this morning:
Rachel Riley has accused Manchester United of "gaslighting" and "green lighting" abuse for their handling of the decision to part company with Mason Greenwood.

In case it was just me, I asked the wife. She hadn’t a clue either.

jfollows

Established Member

When I read an article which contains buzzwords I haven’t a clue what they mean so I have to look them up.

Rachel Riley has accused Manchester United of "gaslighting" and "green lighting" abuse for their handling of the decision to part company with Mason Greenwood.

Me neither, but I know "gaslighting" is the new trendy word for something for which a perfectly adequate phrase already exists, but if you're young and trendy and in the media it's your job to invent silly new terms like this because of course you and all your friends use it all the time. I could look it up but can't be bothered, so I just read them as "something unpleasant".

Gloster

Established Member
Gaslighting, although it seems only to have entered the language in the last ten years or so, owes its derivation to the 1944 film Gaslight. It can be argued that it is a valid single new word for something that has become more common, but it also does appear to be used widely and casually for concepts and actions that already have suitable words describing them.

Richardr

When the likes of the BBC ask some random "celebrity" for their view on something far removed from their subject of expertise.

AM9

Veteran Member
Gaslighting, although it seems only to have entered the language in the last ten years or so, owes its derivation to the 1944 film Gaslight. It can be argued that it is a valid single new word for something that has become more common, but it also does appear to be used widely and casually for concepts and actions that already have suitable words describing them.
Also, it brings a whole lot of guesswork as to the plot of the film 'Fanny By Gaslight' which was released in the same year! ;)

Old Yard Dog

Established Member
I think the Doctor Who changes are dictated by the commisioning producer/director of programmes. The changes are built into the whole Dr Who concept, rather than the actors not wanting to get typecasted.

Did it start off that way in the 1960s - or did they have to build it in after several changes of lead role actor?

William Hartnell left due to ill health, Partick Troughton was replaced due to poor ratings and Jon Pertwee left to restart his stage career. Tom Baker did a long stint before leaving for complex reasons before Peter Davison came in and used typecasting fears for quitting after 3 years. By this point short-term placements were becoming the norm.

For a better summary see

Silenos

Newspaper articles which use the words ‘boomers’, ‘millennials’, ‘generation X’ etc. as if these represented monolithic blocks with identical histories, opinions, and resources and assume they are engaged in a battle to the death with one another.

Lucan

Established Member
Potatoes and chips being served with the skin left on.

It has been "sold" to the public on the basis that there is vitamin C in the skin (so I'm told), but I have never been short of vitamin C and if I were I would take vitamin C tablets or drink some orange juice rather than eat the rubbery warty stuff that has been rubbing shoulders with the dirt (and sometimes retains some of its grit).

Of course, the push from the marketing people and other "influencers" is nothing to do with the fact that not running potato peeling machines saves food processing companies a bit of money.

Last edited:

dangie

Established Member
Of course, the push from the marketing people and other "influencers" is nothing to so with the fact that not running potato peeling machines saves food processing companies a bit of money.
Also of course advertising them ‘in skins’ makes you think you’re getting something better so they charge you more….

yorksrob

Veteran Member
"Fancy" bread with bits of grain in it.

There's always a bit that gets stuck in your teeth.

gg1

Established Member

It has been "sold" to the public on the basis that there is vitamin C in the skin (so I'm told), but I have never been short of vitamin C and if I were I would take vitamin C tablets or drink some orange juice rather than eat the rubbery warty stuff that has been rubbing shoulders with the dirt (and sometimes retains some of its grit).

Of course, the push from the marketing people and other "influencers" is nothing to so with the fact that not running potato peeling machines saves food processing companies a bit of money.
For regular potatoes I'd agree but I do think new potatoes are nicer with the skin on.

jfollows

Established Member
I'm in disagreement with you on this one - partly anyway. I worked out several things earlier in life that I never do such as ironing, peeling potatoes and peeling and deseeding tomatoes so any potatoes that I cook have the skin left on, and I don't notice the problem. If I were paying a vast amount in a proper restaurant maybe I'd expect them to be peeled, but it doesn't bother me at home so it doesn't bother me when I'm out.
I think I've cumulatively not wasted about a month of my life by not doing various things like peeling potatoes by now.