• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Companies That You Expect to Disappear Soon

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Sounds like Boots are looking into store closures

(More - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-47798088)

Although not that surprising considering the prices they charge for everyday items, the only things I tend to use Boots for is lunchtime meal-deals
Where I live there are three branches of Boots, but two are small and are basically pharmacies that happen to sell a few items too: I wouldn't be surprised if one of those closed, as they're barely 100 yards from each other!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Where I live there are three branches of Boots, but two are small and are basically pharmacies that happen to sell a few items too: I wouldn't be surprised if one of those closed, as they're barely 100 yards from each other!
There are three branches of Boots in my local town - one is just a pharmacy, then there's the original branch on the High Street and one at the retail park on the other side of town. I can't seem them closing the big one at the retail park, and if they closed the High St branch it would leave a sizable empty store.

Dai Corner

Established Member
The former Maplin premises in Newport Road, Cardiff were taken over by Office Depot. When I went past the other day I saw they had notices in the windows saying they were closing down within seven days.

Kite159

Veteran Member

I would imagine the pharmacies are due to Boots taken over several other pharmacy companies over the years and got only round to rebranding a few years ago.

dgl

Established Member
I would imagine the pharmacies are due to Boots taken over several other pharmacy companies over the years and got only round to rebranding a few years ago.

Yes, and it was announced that this might/probably would happen a few years ago, I believe when Walgreens first purchased Boots. Even on Portland we have two Boots, although the steep hill between them is probably the reason why both of them are still open (though only the Easton one is close to a doctors).

truffy

I though Wimpy was gone ages ago but apparently they're staging some kind of comeback.

Typhoon

Established Member
The former Maplin premises in Newport Road, Cardiff were taken over by Office Depot. When I went past the other day I saw they had notices in the windows saying they were closing down within seven days.
I am not surprised about Office Depot. I went to our nearest one recently for some coloured card (advertised on the Staples website - I hadn't realised that the name of the stores had changed). Largely empty of customers, assistants and products; in a giant shed. The products they had are readily available in the average town centre. If I wanted bulk I would order online and get it delivered.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I though Wimpy was gone ages ago but apparently they're staging some kind of comeback.
Yep we have one a few min walk from our house and there’s another one just two stations away. I love going there; but it’s never particularly busy.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Yes, absolutely right. The main Boots got refurbished a few months ago and shed both main till points and a lot of staff. IMO they've lost a lot of business as a result of these changes, with Superdrug a few doors down taking advantage on the 'beauty' side if, perhaps, not so much the 'health'.

johntea

Established Member
Everywhere sells health these days, supermarkets, discount stores, eBay - perhaps not the full range but pretty much all the essentials you would ever need

Boots tend not even to be close with pricing unless on a random 3 for 2 offer or similar

Typhoon

Established Member
Everywhere sells health these days, supermarkets, discount stores, eBay - perhaps not the full range but pretty much all the essentials you would ever need
I think the growth of the supermarket pharmacies has made a lot of difference, some do have an extensive range of items - more than many Boots stores. We have two Boots stores, neither large, one in the High Street, one next to a surgery; in both you might find there is no pharmacist available during advertised opening times. Pharmacists seem to come and go, unlike independents, so you don't build up any trust in them.
Boots tend not even to be close with pricing unless on a random 3 for 2 offer or similar
Absolutely, I find I can buy branded equivalents to Boots own brand items at about the same price or cheaper at discounters.

I get e-mailed offers from Boots 'just for you' - even a cursory examination of my previous purchases would reveal that they have missed the target by a mile; what is the point of sending me offers on hay fever remedies when I have never bought such a product from them. Once I see that the first couple of offers are irrelevant I just delete the e-mail. Supermarkets manage to target offers, why can't they?

DavidGrain

Established Member
I moved house three years ago but did not bother to change the pharmacy where I collect my regular medication as I was quite happy to return to the local high street where I used to live as it was less that 3 miles away and an easy bus or car journey.

Unfortunately it is a high street that has declined over the years and the end block where Boots had their store was now at the wrong end of the High Street. In fact Boots was one of the few shops still open in that block. Lloyds Chemists were a chain which expanded rapidly some years ago by acquisition. In fact where I used to work in the early 1990s I counted 7 branches of Lloyds on my 4 mile journey to work. They did at that time claim to have more branches than Boots had. They were so extensive that in the high street that I am talking about they had two large stores opposite each other! They were competing with themselves, with Superdrug and with Boots.

Returning to the discussion about Boots. When I collected my medication last month I saw the poster saying that the store was closing. To be honest I had expected this for some time now. Talking to the dispenser in the shop, whom I have know for many years, she said that the new landlords had doubled the rent. I was aware that the whole block had been up for sale just over a year ago.

I now need to find another pharmacist and I did consider another branch of Boots which is closer to my new home but the few times I have been in there for other items I have been the only customer so I really don't expect that to last much longer either. That is another Boots which also finds itself in the wrong part of the high street as well.

I did learn when I was doing some contract work for a bank that it is not just a question of opening or closing branches but also of considering relocation and for that you do not need Head Office managers but good local management who can see changing fashions on the ground.

HSTEd

Veteran Member
The Wimpy in the Broadmarsh in Nottingham has been forced out during the current building works.

Unfortunately it seems highly unlikely it will ever reopen - its customer base will be gone.

DavidGrain

Established Member
Wimpy was my preferred hamburger restaurant and I was disappointed to lose them in Birmingham many years ago. In fact once I was in there one lunchtime before Macdonalds opened a new branch nearby and I saw someone wearing a Macdonalds manager's jacket having his lunch there.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Wimpy was my preferred hamburger restaurant and I was disappointed to lose them in Birmingham many years ago. In fact once I was in there one lunchtime before Macdonalds opened a new branch nearby and I saw someone wearing a Macdonalds manager's jacket having his lunch there.
I worked in Minehead Wimpy for three summer seasons, or part thereof, in the 1960s. Hard work (sometimes!), lousy pay, but it had compensations of the non-financial kind! Head office was at Winchester Bus Station and the head guy there was Mr Eatwell. :lol:

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I worked in Minehead Wimpy for three summer seasons, or part thereof, in the 1960s. Hard work (sometimes!), lousy pay, but it had compensations of the non-financial kind! Head office was at Winchester Bus Station and the head guy there was Mr Eatwell. :lol:
Mr Eatwell! :lol:
So often we come across people doing jobs with apt names like this (in fact there’s probably a thread in this I reckon).
Just off the top of my head, when I worked for Social Services a couple of decades ago, the guy who was in charge of the wages was a certain Mr P Money...
A few years before that though when I worked for the Exeter Health Authority one of our upper managers was called Mr Gurkin...
It was therefore a common trick to play on the unwary to tell them to ring ‘Mr Gurkin’ because he had an important message for them, but to then provide them with the phone number for ‘Ede’s Pickled Onions’ - A local firm (that were probably used to us calling).
You can probably fill the rest in...

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Mr Eatwell! :lol:
So often we come across people doing jobs with apt names like this (in fact there’s probably a thread in this I reckon).
Just off the top of my head, when I worked for Social Services a couple of decades ago, the guy who was in charge of the wages was a certain Mr P Money...
A few years before that though when I worked for the Exeter Health Authority one of our upper managers was called Mr Gurkin...
It was therefore a common trick to play on the unwary to tell them to ring ‘Mr Gurkin’ because he had an important message for them, but to then provide them with the phone number for ‘Ede’s Pickled Onions’ - A local firm (that were probably used to us calling).
You can probably fill the rest in...
At one time my branch bank manager was a Mr Cocking, a not uncommon surname in Cornwall along with Cock and Cocks. In those long-gone days of letters from your bank manager not generated by a computer I received one that had been signed by his secretary on his behalf, as he was unavoidably detained on the golf course or somesuch. Her name was Heidi Snook. You really couldn't make it up :lol:

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Absolutely, I find I can buy branded equivalents to Boots own brand items at about the same price or cheaper at discounters.
I’m not really brand loyal but do buy a couple of branded products which I stick with, and Boots regularly offer the cheapest prices, but because they are classed as special offers the prices are very variable and I never go there unless I know that they are actually the cheapest. I compare with shops via the mySupermarket website and also browsing for shops that aren’t on there (like the discounters) and have my own idea of what I’d like to pay for a product.

Admittedly my shopping habits are probably not good for Boots if they are treating this as some sort of a loss leader to get people in the doors and buy other stuff.

DavidGrain

Established Member
Wimpy was mentioned on a Channel 5 programme last night about the favourite take aways in Britain. And they played some of the old Wimpy adverts.

gnolife

Established Member
There seems to be little logic to where Wimpys can be found - the most random one I've found is Dingwall.

route101

Established Member
There seems to be little logic to where Wimpys can be found - the most random one I've found is Dingwall.

Only a few in Scotland . One of which is in some indoor bowling place in Kilmarnock