• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Companies Using "Because of COVID" As An Excuse For Poor Service

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaptainHaddock

Established Member
I went in the Sheffield branch of the Decathlon sports chain yesterday for some walking trousers and bike pedals and was surprised to find that while the cycling area was open, all the other aisles had been fenced off. I asked an assistant why this was and he said they'd been told that they could only keep the cycling section open as apparently cycling equipment is essential but walking equipment is not.

I could tell by his expression (well his eyes as he was wearing a mask) he found it just as daft as i did but he did issue the inevitable words "It's due to Covid".

So I walked 10 minutes down the road to Go Outdoors where I was able to freely browse as much "non-essential" walking gear as I wanted!

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

EssexGonzo

The retail banks have been pushed into a corner - they can no longer afford to operate the system whilst retaining free banking. Charging for bank accounts will cause uproar, and would be difficult to start without collusion. With interest rates at historic lows, the banks simply cannot make enough money from lending out depositors money to pay for branch premises, staff, cash handling, ATMs etc. Plus the public have ganged up on them against excessive charges for what they can charge for. Additionally they are being competed against by 'online only' new banks, that do not have these legacy service costs.

We might not like the banks, and [in some cases correctly] blame them for our financial woes, but there are some stark financial realities out there.

Well, I spent 20+ years working for a bank until a few years ago. I know that they absolutely can afford to maintain the branch present and develop their digital services, which cost - in the general scheme of things - not a lot to run. Just look at the declared quarterly profits compared to most other large businesses in the country.

Now, I'm not saying that a ban should keep a branch open if it's unprofitable or only has say 50 visitors a week for small transactions - but the incumbent banks are money-making factories. Yes, they provide an essential service for every single person in the country, but in a very mature business with few challengers, I do believe that their profits are obscene. They don't innovate and they spend hundreds of millions on brand promotion (does anyone really believe that a certain bank has been "by their side for 250 years"?).

I also absolutely know that there will be teams of people trying to use Covid 19 as an excuse to push marginal branches into their branch closure plans and in the process deny businesses and older people without online access (a generalisation, I know) essential access to banks. I know how they work and they don't give a flying duck about their "valued customers" unless they're rich (£250k+ in assets).

And more generally? We need to remember that delivering a service is vastly more challenging than before Covid, so think some of the whinging is a little overdone here. If call centre people are working at home, the variable quality of home broadband is a nightmare. One of my colleagues reckons that tech infrastructure outside of our control is costing us around 35% of our capacity with the same number of people ready and waiting to take calls - which we don't have because of many of the reasons already mentioned.

Anyone who thinks that its easy to operate a customer-facing business in the current environment with no negative impact is deluded.

Since March, my local sorting office has only been open two hours a day most days of the week. Apparently making everyone who has a parcel to collect turn up at once is 'keeping us safe'.

My mother-in-law was sent some flowers which Royal Mail tried to deliver whilst she was having her daily walk. Even though no signature was required, they took the parcel back to the local office (which wasn't really the nearest large office) with a note saying to 'collect from the sorting office, flowers, perishable' So we went to the office. Completely closed. Either we had to go next day to the office which was only open 07.00 to 09.00 due to Covid, meaning an early morning and a 30 mile round trip, or my mother-in-law (who is 90) has to get up at about 06.00, take 2 buses and a walk uphill, then 2 buses home (and although the local bus company extended passes to be valid before 09.30, I don't think they had done that by this time), or use the computer (which she doesn't have) to rearrange delivery. So we had to do this. As this was a birthday gift, that actually changed its arrival from a day early to a day late.

I wouldn't have minded making the round trip at a reasonable time of day.

RT4038

Established Member
I know how they work and they don't give a flying duck about their "valued customers" unless they're rich (£250k+ in assets).

Why would they be that concerned? - if they are demanding expensive to run services, they aren't 'valued customers'. If the existing banks don't innovate, and waste money on brand promotion, and there was good money to be made in providing these services such as branches, cash handling etc, I am sure entrepreneurs would set up another bank in competition for this trade. Oh, funnily enough, none of the them ever do.......

One thing that I found a problem in first lockdown was our pharmacies. In our town we had 3 pharmacies, all Boots (although one has subsequently closed) We have to use one particular one of the 3 as our prescriptions are sent to them electronically. As soon as the first lockdown started, the hours were cut drastically with a later opening and a much earlier closing time. I don't know what caused it but the queues were horrendous. I tried to go during the day but the queue was up to 50 metre long. So I tried next afternoon when the queue was shorter, but I was told that the queue had essentially been closed. I did eventually manage to get our meds. But this was nothing compared to the larger pharmacy with a queue 200 metres long (no, I'm not exaggerating).

What I don't understand is that you cannot panic buy medication like you can toilet rolls or tins of beans. Luckily the long queues only lasted a couple of weeks, and things got nearer normal. One thing that could have alleviated the issue would be for the pharmacies and surgeries to be able to prescribe 3 months of tablets in one go. It seems that the powers that be are concerned about people having too many medicines and not using them. As I have to take two meds every day, probably for life, it would be much easier for me to go once every 3 months for 3 months of tablets rather than 3 times in three months. It would save on admin, reduce the work of the pharmacy and reduce Covid exposure.

Luckily the lessons of the first lockdown seem to have been learned for this time. So far, no issues.

trainophile

Established Member
One thing that I found a problem in first lockdown was our pharmacies. In our town we had 3 pharmacies, all Boots (although one has subsequently closed) We have to use one particular one of the 3 as our prescriptions are sent to them electronically. As soon as the first lockdown started, the hours were cut drastically with a later opening and a much earlier closing time. I don't know what caused it but the queues were horrendous. I tried to go during the day but the queue was up to 50 metre long. So I tried next afternoon when the queue was shorter, but I was told that the queue had essentially been closed. I did eventually manage to get our meds. But this was nothing compared to the larger pharmacy with a queue 200 metres long (no, I'm not exaggerating).

What I don't understand is that you cannot panic buy medication like you can toilet rolls or tins of beans. Luckily the long queues only lasted a couple of weeks, and things got nearer normal. One thing that could have alleviated the issue would be for the pharmacies and surgeries to be able to prescribe 3 months of tablets in one go. It seems that the powers that be are concerned about people having too many medicines and not using them. As I have to take two meds every day, probably for life, it would be much easier for me to go once every 3 months for 3 months of tablets rather than 3 times in three months. It would save on admin, reduce the work of the pharmacy and reduce Covid exposure.

Luckily the lessons of the first lockdown seem to have been learned for this time. So far, no issues.
Could you not have your meds delivered? Or if Boots won't do that, get your prescription moved to a pharmacy who will.

Could you not have your meds delivered? Or if Boots won't do that, get your prescription moved to a pharmacy who will.

I'm not sure whether our surgery does this, and in normal circumstances it doesn't bother me. At present, it is actually quite a good thing to have a good reason to get out of the house for half an hour. Unfortunately, Boots have an absolute monopoly in our town. There is a pharmacy attached to our local surgery, but for some reason people living within 2 miles of the town centre cannot use the surgery and have to use Boots. The next nearest one is in a village 6 miles away.

birchesgreen

Established Member
I'm sure some companies are using it as an excuse but don't underestimate the difficulties this virus is having on business operations. In my small company last friday they learnt a colleague had got the virus, they decided to close the office until the start of december and everyone in that day is now self-isolating [1] (there has been a second positive now). Many can work from home (though not all) but some aspects of the business cannot be done and our customers will suffer a degraded service.

[1] Luckily for me i haven't been back in yet

DB

I'm sure some companies are using it as an excuse but don't underestimate the difficulties this virus is having on business operations. In my small company last friday they learnt a colleague had got the virus, they decided to close the office until the start of december and everyone in that day is now self-isolating [1] (there has been a second positive now). Many can work from home (though not all) but some aspects of the business cannot be done and our customers will suffer a degraded service.

[1] Luckily for me i haven't been back in yet

Sounds like an over-reaction - unless they were close to the person concerned, there should be no need for them to isolate.

birchesgreen

Established Member
Sounds like an over-reaction - unless they were close to the person concerned, there should be no need for them to isolate.

Yes i was surprised myself though as i'm not in i don't know who it was, maybe it was one of the managers who has been everywhere (only a small building). Anyway it does show how things can be very unpredictable and difficult atm.

Journeyman

Established Member
The retail banks have been pushed into a corner - they can no longer afford to operate the system whilst retaining free banking. Charging for bank accounts will cause uproar, and would be difficult to start without collusion. With interest rates at historic lows, the banks simply cannot make enough money from lending out depositors money to pay for branch premises, staff, cash handling, ATMs etc. Plus the public have ganged up on them against excessive charges for what they can charge for. Additionally they are being competed against by 'online only' new banks, that do not have these legacy service costs.

We might not like the banks, and [in some cases correctly] blame them for our financial woes, but there are some stark financial realities out there.

Completely appreciate that, so I'm not going to slag them off right now. I don't think it's fair, as they can't indefinitely run at a loss, and it's true that an absolutely vast amount of business can be carried out online now.

A lot of people don't seem to realise that most banks allow deposits to be made at post offices too.

alxndr

Established Member
And more generally? We need to remember that delivering a service is vastly more challenging than before Covid, so think some of the whinging is a little overdone here. If call centre people are working at home, the variable quality of home broadband is a nightmare. One of my colleagues reckons that tech infrastructure outside of our control is costing us around 35% of our capacity with the same number of people ready and waiting to take calls - which we don't have because of many of the reasons already mentioned.

Anyone who thinks that its easy to operate a customer-facing business in the current environment with no negative impact is deluded.
The varying quality of broadband and mobile phone coverage is something which is easily forgotten by those who are fortunate to have good quality connections. My father is supposed to be working from home but receives no mobile phone reception at his house (my work phone is on the same network and I've had to walk up the hill just to send a message) and his internet can't handle video calls reliably either. He does what he can, but it is nowhere near the same as what he could do in normal times, or would be able to do if he lived somewhere with more reliable connections.

Journeyman

Established Member
The varying quality of broadband and mobile phone coverage is something which is easily forgotten by those who are fortunate to have good quality connections. My father is supposed to be working from home but receives no mobile phone reception at his house (my work phone is on the same network and I've had to walk up the hill just to send a message) and his internet can't handle video calls reliably either. He does what he can, but it is nowhere near the same as what he could do in normal times, or would be able to do if he lived somewhere with more reliable connections.

True. I live in a house that's only five years old and only ten miles from the centre of a major city, and my internet connection is absolutely dreadful.

There's also a lot of data protection issues for people working from home - sensitive data often can't be accessed outside offices, because companies lose control of what happens to it, and it's a lot easier for it to be passed on to competitors, abused for criminal purposes etc.

MikeWM

Established Member
The cash thing is loopy. Imagine a customer going round a supermarket. They touch every item they put in their trolley. They touch every item a second time when they get to the checkout. The cashier then handles every item before the customer touches them for the third time whilst putting them into bags. Yet somehow handing over a load of coins and notes is the dangerous part.

The Bank of England agrees with you:

COVID-19: Infection risk from handling cash is low, Bank of England concludes
The coronavirus does not survive on banknotes at high levels for very long, according to a study.
After six hours, virus droplets on banknotes had declined to 5% or less of their initial levels and after 24 hours it was less than 1% while at five days, it was at undetectable or trace levels.

In shops, the main infection risks would come from being close to an infected person or handling a shopping basket or trolley, PIN keypads, products on shelves or touchscreens of self-checkout terminals, the study said.

Unlike these surfaces, cash would typically be stored in wallets, tills or safes.

That would make its risk of contamination from a cough or sneeze by an infected person lower than that for exposed surfaces in shops or homes, the report added.

For my part, I insist on continuing to pay with cash in circumstances where I would have done so previously. Where that has been outright refused, I've taken my custom elsewhere - that's only happened once so far, I think.

ChrisC

Established Member
I’m still waiting for my annual gas boiler service from British Gas as part of the Home Care service plan. I usually have my boiler serviced during March or April but it has not been done yet. You are normally able to book a service each year online when it is due. This year this facility is disabled with a message stating that due to Covid they have a backlog and are behind with boiler servicing. I am told that I will be informed when a booking can be made. I can understand there being some delay but as mine was due right at the beginning of the crisis I don’t see why they have still not got around to it nearly 8 months later.

alxndr

Established Member
I’m still waiting for my annual gas boiler service from British Gas as part of the Home Care service plan. I usually have my boiler serviced during March or April but it has not been done yet. You are normally able to book a service each year online when it is due. This year this facility is disabled with a message stating that due to Covid they have a backlog and are behind with boiler servicing. I am told that I will be informed when a booking can be made. I can understand there being some delay but as mine was due right at the beginning of the crisis I don’t see why they have still not got around to it nearly 8 months later.
Strange that they haven't managed to book you in. I normally have mine around September time and received a reminder to book it, but couldn't manage to fit it in. I eventually found time to book, for today actually, although that was cancelled Monday morning. It's now rescheduled for February, which isn't ideal, but there was never any mention of not being able to get an slot at all.

Skimpot flyer

Established Member
The thing that frustrates me is delays to deliveries. I have just filed another complaint about a 'guaranteed delivery' item that hasn't turned up three days after it should.

I was sympathetic in March given the way the world suddenly changed, and everyone started ordering online (and ordered extra things due to the lockdown). Eight months later there is no excuse. I know there might still be capacity issues in the delivery networks, especially during the latest lockdown, but the simple solution is not to offer 'guaranteed delivery' when it cannot be guaranteed, and give realistic estimated dates. But I guess people are less likely to order something if it says 'Delivery when we can get round to it).
Surely you of all people can claim Delay Repay ? ;)

That probably just means I've been lied to by a member of Royal Mail's desk staff at Epsom, which to be honest wouldn't surprise me one bit - although it's more than likely that they have in turn been lied to by their manager...
Or perhaps the person you spoke to was ‘not at the races’ that day?

ChrisC

Established Member
Strange that they haven't managed to book you in. I normally have mine around September time and received a reminder to book it, but couldn't manage to fit it in. I eventually found time to book, for today actually, although that was cancelled Monday morning. It's now rescheduled for February, which isn't ideal, but there was never any mention of not being able to get an slot at all.
Thanks for that info. I’ve just logged into my account and the message has changed from when I last looked about 2 weeks ago. It is now saying that I am due for the service and the option is there to book a slot online. Unfortunately it does not work and I am given a telephone number to ring. I will give them a ring tomorrow. I hope that I don’t have to wait until February as it will then be almost 2 years between services.

david1212

Established Member
The banks are definitely the worst at the present time. Already, prior to covid, they were trying everything within their power to force people to do things online, this is now the perfect excuse. Yes, there are staffing shortages if people are shielding or sick or isolating, but other firms have managed to deal with this or adopt work-arounds by now. For instance, there are 3 teller positions in my local branch - for a long time only 2 have been open, with the equipment on the third at the end gradually disappearing and it appearing to be a dumping ground or desk for staff to do paperwork at. Now, with covid, only one teller position is open "due to social distancing" - there has been plenty of time to re-arrange their equipment etc so that the teller positions on either end are useable and the one in the middle is the dumping ground.

As for the obsession with paying on a credit card because it's "safer"... you have a card reader in a shop that gets touched by dozens of people per hour that you go and plonk your card on. How many people paying by card perform a truly 'contactless' transaction without touching the reader? (From observation, practically none to the point that I notice it as an obscurity when somebody does).
Not to mention the faff around people using cards - there's quite often a hold up when transactions don't go through or people are using third party apps which for whatever reason don't work, or there's a PIN check and they can't remember their PIN...
I have worked as a cashier and can take a cash payment in at least the same time, if not quicker, than a card one.

With the margin between the interest rates charged on loans and mortgages and that, if indeed any or just an insulting 0.1%, paid on deposits they must still be making massive amounts. Before this many branches had been closed. For those that remain they can afford for to be open 9:00 - 17:00 Monday - Friday and say 10:00 - 15:00 on Saturday plus have enough staff and positions open for minimal queuing.

So long as contactless I do not touch the reader, if a PIN is required then unavoidable. I do wonder how often the readers are wiped, I've not seen it done once since March. For some reason one local Wilko doesn't like my debit card contactless or with the PIN. I've made the mistake of presenting the wrong card more than once creating a delay too.

The Post Office on the estate where I live did reduce the hours to 10:00 - 15:00 Monday - Friday and closed Saturday but went back to normal by July.
The Royal Mail local delivery office was just early morning, I recall 06:00 - 08:00. Now opening is 08:00, so I can not go before work, but until 20:00 Thursday, 14:00 Saturday and ( maybe slightly wrong ) 11:00 - 14:00 Sunday. Saturday's though again they are only delivering parcels not letter post. Hence for anything ' Signed For ' or too big for letter box that is held over to Monday I have to wait until Thursday to collect.

DelayRepay

Established Member
Thanks for that info. I’ve just logged into my account and the message has changed from when I last looked about 2 weeks ago. It is now saying that I am due for the service and the option is there to book a slot online. Unfortunately it does not work and I am given a telephone number to ring. I will give them a ring tomorrow. I hope that I don’t have to wait until February as it will then be almost 2 years between services.

Your British Gas problem must be regional. My mum's service was due in September, they sent her a letter and I booked it online for her. There were plenty of slots available. The engineer was late and the service was done in the evening rather than the afternoon. I am not sure if he blamed Covid for being late, but anyway she was just pleased to have it done before winter as the boiler packing up is the last thing she needs, especially this year.

One thing that has not been affected by Covid is the ability of British Gas engineers to use phrases like 'can't get parts for these any more', whilst offering a quote for a new boiler!

wireforever

Just had my boiler serviced by BG 2 engineers attended as I also reported a fault at the same time .I maintained social distancing by staying in the spare room and shouting though the door when asked any questions !
The leisure and library part of my local council are asking for comments re a proposal to limit opening hours keep certain centres closed due to Covid and provide a enhanced online service.
The cynic in me thinks that councils, the govt and companies will be able to use covid as a excuse for several years to cut services close shops/branches etc and force people to go online or use a call centre

duncanp

Established Member
The cynic in me thinks that councils, the govt and companies will be able to use covid as a excuse for several years to cut services close shops/branches etc and force people to go online or use a call centre

Same with the NHS.

Anytime in the next few years whenever you can't get an appointment, or treatment is delayed, they will blame "..the impact of COVID.."

greyman42

Established Member
If you have a service contract then that would include an annual service. If you are not getting an annual service, are you not entitled to a part refund?

Bantamzen

Established Member
Same with the NHS.

Anytime in the next few years whenever you can't get an appointment, or treatment is delayed, they will blame "..the impact of COVID.."
This did occur to me.

"Hello, what emergency service do you require?"
"Ambulance please"
"What is the nature of your emergency?"
"I'm stuck under a bus that ran over me, I don't think I have long"
"Have you tested positive for Covid?"
"No"
"I'll just put you in a queue for non-covid cases"
"Thank you for calling 999, your call is important to us so please hold. You are number 5,224,876 in the queue...."

Last edited:

Journeyman

Established Member
This did occur to me.

"Hello, what emergency service do you require?"
"Ambulance please"
"What is the nature of your emergency?"
"I'm stuck under a bus than ran over me, I don't think I have long"
"Have you tested positive for Covid?"
"No"
"I'll just put you in a queue for non-covid cases"
"Thank you for calling 999, your call is important to us so please hold. You are number 5,224,876 in the queue...."

Reminds me of a joke I heard in lockdown...

"Hello, Police? There's two men breaking into my garage! Send someone quick!"
"I'm sorry, sir, because of COVID, we're really short of resources, and it'll take at least two hours before we can send any officers round."
"But they're standing less than two metres apart!"
"We'll be there straight away, sir!"

ChrisC

Established Member
If you have a service contract then that would include an annual service. If you are not getting an annual service, are you not entitled to a part refund?
Phoned British Gas today and got an Annual Service booked as soon as next Monday afternoon with no problems. It was a completely automated call and so I was not able to ask why the online booking system has not been allowing me to do this for the last 8 months. All the time I was getting a message saying ‘We will contact you when you are able to book an annual service’. It will be interesting to see when I am able to book a service next year.

Last edited:

Chester1

Established Member
I know in some circumstances people have limited options but taking your custom elsewhere would be the best solution to most poor customer service issues. Brits do seem to love moaning about problems instead of taking practical action!

Merle Haggard

Established Member
I am staggered to hear that anyone has ever successfully managed to book a B.G. annual service without huge hassle.
When they invited me to book because it was due, back in the days of contacting a call centre, the date offered was always some moths in advance. On one occasion, I stayed in on the agreed day, and was reassured by text messages about 'the service man will visit you today' etc.; but he never turned up. When I phoned customer service (not the quickest to answer the phone) I was told that 'the computer is down, no service visits today'. I wrongly assumed that , as British Gas was at fault, they would automatically rebook. But no; I had to phone another number and then got an appointment about 6 months into the future (I had already waited about 5 months for the cancelled one).
On the present, on-line system, when invited to book, it always says 'no visits available'.
It is the case that BG have failed me in their contractual obligation to service my boiler once a year, but the website is so automated that a complaint of this sort cannot, as far as I can see, be made.
My solution is to make an emergency call for a (difficult to pin down) fault. When this unfortunately can't be replicated, I ask for the service to be done at the same time, and they always agree
If you wonder why I remain with B.G. it's because a) they do actually turn up quickly for faults, even at present and b) before using BG. the experience of having the heating break down on December 27th (ish) and finding my usual gas fitter had got a better job, and no-one else answered the phone.
Electric heating is so much less trouble; just wish I could afford it...

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
I know in some circumstances people have limited options but taking your custom elsewhere would be the best solution to most poor customer service issues. Brits do seem to love moaning about problems instead of taking practical action!
I second that comment and raise you - do let the company know that either a) you intend to cease using them (and actually mean it) or b) tell them after the event so that they know they have lost a customer and why.

Status
Not open for further replies.