• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Companies you don't like to buy from, and why

Status
Not open for further replies.

py_megapixel

Established Member
Personally, Huawei, because I'm concerned that if I buy a Huawei device it will become unsupported prematurely because of ongoing tradewars between the US and UK.
Also Amazon because of their ethically dubious practices (i.e. worker exploitation and anti-competitive behaviour)
Most clothing retailers because they play obnoxiously loud music which impairs my ability to think.
Finally, Currys PC World because of their notoriously poor customer service.

Anyone else have a list of companies that they don't like buying from for whatever reason?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

thejuggler

Any of the furniture sheds. DFS, Oak Furntureland etc. Whilst they do sell SOME quality furniture, most of it is absolutely terrible.

DFS didn't like it when I started lifting sofas by the bottom corner to see how well made the frame was (a trick a sofa manufacturer taught me). They were probably scared it would snap in half!

Their attitude lost them a four figure sale as they sold the sofa we eventually bought from a local independent store.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Amazon. I was a bookseller for thirty years, the last few despite their best efforts to see me and my like go out of business. Having said that, I've had to bow to the inevitable and, through extremely gritted teeth, order from them, though in practice it's done in my wife's name, but then I rarely order online from anywhere.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Ryanair. Thanks but no thanks!

Nothing much good to say about Michael O'Leary or his firm's interpretation of good customer service.

NorthOxonian

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Amazon is a big one - I hate their working practices, and I really object to the way they seem intent on cornering more of the market and running conventional retail out of business. This is going to be particularly true after this virus - unless we want to live in some slightly dystopian world where everything is only available online, we need to give our high streets as much support as we can.

I also try to avoid the growing raft of gig economy delivery services. The Deliveroos and UberEats of this world seem really popular among my age bracket, yet I can't understand why - they're expensive, exploitative, and encourage laziness!

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Amazon is a big one - I hate their working practices, and I really object to the way they seem intent on cornering more of the market and running conventional retail out of business. This is going to be particularly true after this virus - unless we want to live in some slightly dystopian world where everything is only available online, we need to give our high streets as much support as we can.

I also try to avoid the growing raft of gig economy delivery services. The Deliveroos and UberEats of this world seem really popular among my age bracket, yet I can't understand why - they're expensive, exploitative, and encourage laziness!
Those are the "gig economy" elements that you know about. There are many well-known companies that rely on "home-workers" who are self-employed and entitled to none of the benefits such as holiday and sick pay. It has been going on for much longer than you think.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
Those are the "gig economy" elements that you know about. There are many well-known companies that rely on "home-workers" who are self-employed and entitled to none of the benefits such as holiday and sick pay. It has been going on for much longer than you think.

Indeed. For a while in the late 2000s NXEA, as was, tried to claim the catering trolley staff on the Stansted Express were "self employed" to screw them on wages and employment rights. What they did was pretty disgraceful, really.

It's been going on forever, it's not new. With the likes of Uber it's more transparent, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

I hate TalkTalk with a passion. Always have. Hated them as Carphone Warehouse when they shafted me on a mobile contract, hated them again as TalkTalk when they took over Tiscali and shafted me by claiming I'd signed a contract that I hadn't. And you couldn't pay me to bank with Santander after how they screwed me over too when they took over Alliance and Leicester (I also can't stand Ant and Dec, so their latest adverts just confirm that I will never ever use them).

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Sports Direct in general, had to go there and buy a new pair of boots recently though. While I was displeased at the concept of funding that company, these boots are brilliant for the money.

Ryanair and Norwegian, oh and Etihad, are airlines I won't fly. Cheap flights maybe, but the service is just not to my standard. After Ryanair refused to pay out for the damage to my case on my last flight with them, I refused to put any more money in their pockets. If it was a desperate situation somewhere, a get-out-of-hell move, I'd have to consider using them but otherwise over a year and a half later I won't go near them.

Nowegian I declared similar with back in early 2016, 4 and a half years later and I still won't fly with them. Awful service on the way back, amongst other issues, and my money goes nowhere near them.

Etihad, sub-par service and horrendous trouble checking in for my return flights from Australia, not to mention the boarding music, and poor food led me to impose a ban on traveling with them as with Ryanair and Norwegian. In a desperate situation, I'd have to weigh up my options.

Amazon, like others, for poor business practices and a personal insistence on not putting money into the pockets of the world's richest man! I had to buy some things via their Marketplace thing some months ago, oh I felt dirty doing that, using Amazon...

Wish, products I've bought from them have been consistently terrible so after my first order I refused to do so again. Also, for more picky reasons, their adverts on YouTube get on my nerves! Not quite as much as TikTok, ooh those still drive me mad now!

Wetherspoons, purely because of how disgraceful the top man was to his staff at the beginning of lockdown. Like with Ryanair, if it came down to a choice of going hungry somewhere or lining Spoons' pockets, I'd have to put my head down and get a table in Spoons. It would have to be desperate though...

Coffee #1, their branch opened in Hereford a couple of years back, and I went in during the first week. I can't remember if it was the first day or not, but when you have seven baristas all getting into a flap over my coffee...My standard coffee is black, no sugar, no anything but espresso and hot water. Hardly difficult, but you'd think it with the fuss they made over making it! If it had been the best coffee I'd ever had, I would have gone back to try them again, but it wasn't that great.

There's a new barbers just down the road from me, and I'd give them a go, except the staff and their mates all hang out by the open front door puffing away like chimneys. I've only seen it once, granted, but I refuse to go in at all.

Finally, one of my local chippies. I have two, and one advertises it as being mandatory to wear a face covering. The other, no it lets anyone in with a covering or not. The protective screen doesn't do much of a job of anything, indeed instead of using the cut-out bit to hand over money you just reach around the screen to make a payment. Cash only as well, which drives me barmy. The other chippy, while more expensive, takes the virus much more seriously and does Click & Collect. I can order what I want on my phone, pop down 15 minutes later and by the time I've walked around the junction it's ready. Not that I get much from a chippy now, my latest health improvements render the majority of product on sale in them no good to me

Howardh

Established Member
Currys - awful customer service and continually trying to flog insurance
Weatherspoons - due to their pro-Brexit attitude
Dyson - as above
Cadburys - because when alive, my mum "won" a box of chocolates in a raffle and was delighted, and on opening there were just seven in, the rest was totally unnecessary packaging and filling. How to disappoint an old lady with dementia.
Shein - the worst clothes I've ever bought; nothing like the pics
Wish - took over two months to deliver.
Amazon - always trying to upgrade you onto something you don't want and can't easily get out of.
ITV - because.
Talktalk - dreadful customer service (in the past, are they better now?)
npower - it's hard to be the worst power company, there's so much to choose from, but I've only ever had them and OVO.

birchesgreen

Established Member
Dyno-rod, i called on them once and they were useless. And cost me 100 quid. Buying my own drain rods ended up being a much better option.

Journeyman

Established Member
I echo the comments about Amazon, they're absolutely vile, and I won't touch them with a barge pole. I've never had any problems getting hold of things from other suppliers - there's nothing they supply exclusively.

I used Ryanair to fly from Kiev to Manchester last year, as it was the most convenient option and about the only even vaguely affordable one. Kiev airport completely screwed up the boarding process, which led to a long delay, but the crew handled it very well, and the whole experience was far better than I was expecting. I'd still far rather avoid them, but I won't rule them out.

Aviva, who conned me with PPI I never knew I had for years, and who absolutely refused to budge when I spotted it and complained. After a lot of effort and referring it higher, the thieving scumbags banned me from contacting them, after fleecing me out of several grand.

Last edited:

PeterY

Established Member
I try to avoid the following but it's not always easy.
Curry's: The staff swarm around the entrance door, asking if I need any help as soon as I arrive but when I do need help, they have disappeared or haven't a clue.
Tesco's: Despite being only a 10 minute walk from my flat I'd rather go to Sainsbury's half an hour away. I just don't trust Tesco's pricing and used to go though the bill with a fine tooth comb
Amazon but since lockdown I've not had a great deal of choice but flatly refuse to pay for prime.
Cross Country. We all know why.
Primark. There stuff is utter rubbish and doesn't seem to fit me properly.

DB

Scottish power. When I left them they bombarded me with phone calls for weeks to try to persuade me to move back to them, and were really awkward about refunding a credit balance. Ironically, I'd had no issues up to then and might have considered then again in future, but not after that behaviour.

Unite the union. Their main interest in members seemed to be trying to flog them assorted services, and ignoring requests to stop it. I eventually put in a complaint (it was PPI claims they were trying to sell on that occasion), to which they replied explaining what these were and why some people might not be aware of them. My questions about what this had to do with a union were ignored. I am no longer a member!

alex397

Established Member
Wetherspoons - due to them pushing the Brexit agenda on customers, and the way staff are treated. A Spoons doesn't really have much of a soul compared to a proper local as well - it very much feels like a chain (even if they do give their pubs some appropriate local names and have some local beers on tap).
I'm not going to boycott them, but I don't think I've actually been in one this year - I've been in countless other pubs though. Can't say I'm missing them.

Coffee chains such as Starbucks, Costa Coffee and Cafe Nero - there are plenty of independent coffee shops who need the money more than them, from the traditional old cafes to the hipster type places. I've also found that Costa coffee tastes pretty terrible in comparison to other places. I do make an exception to my local Nero though, as the staff in there are really friendly and it is in a well preserved Elizabethan building.

Sports Direct - for reasons others have already stated. I also don't understand the fashion of wearing clothes with massive branding on it. I don't want to walk around looking like an advertising board thank you.

Clinton Cards - ridiculously overpriced. To be honest I only buy cards because I feel I have to, so I always just go in the cheaper card shops. Also, me and my friends of a similar age don't really give each other cards now anyway.

Amazon - Sometimes I don't really have much choice but to use them, and certain products are massively cheaper than more traditional retailers. However, I very rarely buy anything on there now - I actually prefer shopping traditionally. And if I need something, I like to have it straight away, rather than wait for a parcel to be delivered, and also risk having it delivered to my horrible neighbours, or having to waste time collecting the parcel from a sorting office.
I was given an Amazon voucher recently and I'm actually struggling to think of things I need to buy with it.

Last edited:

D365

Veteran Member
Nestle and Tesco: I don't like to buy from them, but I still do my shopping there... (plus their petrol/diesel is the cheapest, save from a trek to Asda or Morrisons)

Wetherspoons - due to them pushing the Brexit agenda on customers, and the way staff are treated. A Spoons doesn't really have much of a soul compared to a proper local as well - it very much feels like a chain (even if they do give their pubs some appropriate local names and have some local beers on tap).
I'm not going to boycott them, but I don't think I've actually been in one this year - but I've been in countless other pubs. Can't say I'm missing them.

My thoughts here are exactly the same.

Scottish power. When I left them they bombarded me with phone calls for weeks to try to persuade me to move back to them, and were really awkward about refunding a credit balance. Ironically, I'd had no issues up to then and might have considered then again in future, but not after that behaviour.

Funny that. My parents have always had a good experience with them, but when I used them for my final (bills excluded) student flat, I was never able to set up an online account with them so I could receive my electronic bills. To set up an account, I needed to use the app to get in touch with the IT Helpdesk. To use the app, I needed to set up an account...

The customer advisors who were "unable" to help me out were presumably busy, bombarding former customers with calls!

Last edited:

Journeyman

Established Member
Yeah, I'll try and avoid any company that pushes a political agenda too hard.

Peter Sarf

Established Member
Starbucks, Nero and Costa - a mystery to me as I very rarely buy a coffee. But they are so expensive I won't be tempted.

Amazon - I finally used a voucher I had. More choice and less faff on eBay.

I am rather dependant on Wetherspoons. Or was until Covid, now I buy a few bottles from Lidl or Morrisons (but their £1 offers seem to have gone).

I try to rely on the high street but diy has become impossible and electronics is heading the same way as relevant stores disappear.

Journeyman

Established Member
I try to rely on the high street but diy has become impossible and electronics is heading the same way as relevant stores disappear.

I know what you mean - my trusty old laptop gave up the ghost a couple of weeks ago, and I needed to replace it immediately as I had a pressing work deadline. I spent an entire day getting increasingly frustrated trying to find anywhere that had any in stock at all!

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
PTSO or platform depending on the weather
Most sport shops - partly because I don't wear sporty clothes/trainers, and in some of them; you can hear the music outside. I complained once and nothing happened

Apple products - I just don't buy into their "system" and their premium prices - also the idea of having to upgrade so often - however, years ago, I did try them and bought an iPhone 4s and an iPod - naturally, the iPod is still in use today...

Ashley Hill

Established Member
I don't use coffee shops. I refuse to join the coffee culture. When "er indoors" does manage to drag me into one I order tea!

TheBigD

Established Member
Any Virgin company. Despise the man and the brand.

Last edited:

Journeyman

Established Member
Any Virgin company. Despise the man and the brand.

I was able to tolerate them for a long time, until it suddenly struck me how gruesomely cheesy all their marketing and branding is. I ended up finding it really grating taking journeys on their trains, and I'm quite glad to see the back of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.