• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Competition heats up between Transdev and Connexions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andyh82

Established Member
The axing of the extended 62 does make things "simpler and easier to understand" for passengers though, as does axing late night trips and renumbering the 760 as the 60 :D

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Looks like the 62 extension might have some of its best ridership just before it disappears.

Caught the 1137 from Ilkley. 28 passengers on board. 4 boarded between Ilkley and Otley. Left Otley with 20 passengers on board.

I suspect if it was raining things might have been different.

Stan Drews

Established Member
Looks like the 62 extension might have some of its best ridership just before it disappears.

Caught the 1137 from Ilkley. 28 passengers on board. 4 boarded between Ilkley and Otley. Left Otley with 20 passengers on board.

Were there many fare payers, or was it mostly freebies?

SCH117X

Established Member
Two thoughts, either the X52 had not turned up before it (not that unusual in my limited observations of the services in Otley and Ilkley) or a side effect of the train strike with passengers deciding on going to Harrogate instead of Leeds.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Two thoughts, either the X52 had not turned up before it (not that unusual in my limited observations of the services in Otley and Ilkley) or a side effect of the train strike with passengers deciding on going to Harrogate instead of Leeds.

The X52 had turned up before it and left on time. Most of the passengers were on it before it got to Ilkley.

The second part is possible, but trains were running from Keighley and Ilkley to Leeds to almost a full timetable - just with a very early finish.

johntea

Established Member
Got a free ride home on the 36 last night, ironic considering all the technology they boast about on the service the ticket machine was knackered!

theblackwatch

Established Member
I discovered this evening, to my cost, that the departure display on stand 12 at Harrogate concerning the X1 Connexions service is incorrect! It shows the departures as being at xx.05/20/35/50, with the last one being at 18.35. Unfortunately, I arrived at the bus station at 18.31 to find the last departure leaving - I went and picked up a timetable from the information kiosk to find the last one actually leaves at 18.30, and the times for the rest of the day are wrong too. I've let Connexions know about it.

SCH117X

Established Member
I discovered this evening, to my cost, that the departure display on stand 12 at Harrogate concerning the X1 Connexions service is incorrect! It shows the departures as being at xx.05/20/35/50, with the last one being at 18.35. Unfortunately, I arrived at the bus station at 18.31 to find the last departure leaving - I went and picked up a timetable from the information kiosk to find the last one actually leaves at 18.30, and the times for the rest of the day are wrong too. I've let Connexions know about it.
They retimed them at the end of May. Pretty poor not updating the timetable display but no doubt they will find some way of blaming Transdev. On the other hand the X4 route has at least one empty display case so keeping customers informed is obviously not a high priority.
Has the digital display stopped showing the X1C?

theblackwatch

Established Member
The layout of all the departure displays is the same at all the stands, and looks very Transdev style - so it could well be that they are responsible for all the information displays. I have contacted them about it as well!

theblackwatch

Established Member

I did the last 62 from Otley to Harrogate today - there were 4 on board, these being myself, a mate who I'd arranged to meet in Otley for a drink, another passenger, and the driver! Pic of it arriving at Otley below.
20258203_1620494327969965_1783733897410282239_n.jpg

SCH117X

Established Member
Transdevs turn now to be before the traffic commissioner on 13 Sept for timekeeping issues in Harrogate.

Transdev are to run a V70 Vamooz school service which appears to be in competition with Connexions X71 - must be a first, a school bus war.

Meanwhile both are claiming to taking over the 965 in Otley from First.

Andyh82

Established Member
Connextions have also apparently stuck British flags on some vehicles to show their 'proud British roots'...

Bantamzen

Established Member
Meanwhile both are claiming to taking over the 965 in Otley from First.

You couldn't make it up.....

From Transdev:

http://keighleybus.co.uk/news.jsp?newsID=2056

Following the announcement that First will no longer be running the 965 (Otley - Weston) from October, we're delighted to announce that we'll be taking over the running of this route from Monday 23 October 2017.

For us, running the 965 is a no-brainer. We're proud to be the town's main bus operator, and the 965 sits perfectly within our current network of services that you already know and love.

We already run the 62, linking Otley with Ilkley and Keighley every 30 minutes through the daytime, and of course, our popular Wharfedale Links network is centred around Otley itself. What's more, you'll already be used to seeing our buses on the 965 - we run this service during the evenings and on Sundays at the moment.

The 965 is a natural addition to our network in Otley. And with the 965 joining The Keighley Bus Company family, you'll be able to use your K DAY, K CARD and Daytripper tickets on board, too.

At the moment, we'll be keeping the timetable on the 965 exactly the same as the current timetable for ease and consistency. We're really keen to hear from you on how we could better integrate the 965 with the rest of our network, including the 62 and Wharfedale Links. And we'll continue to seek out new partnerships and opportunities for integrated ticketing with other bus operators in the area.

New timetables for the 965 will be available to download here soon.

We can't wait to welcome you to The Keighley Bus Company family - we're really excited for what the future holds.

And from Connextions:

http://www.connexionsbuses.com/uncategorized/connexions-steps-replace-wharfe-service/

Connexionsbuses are to replace the 965 Newall and Wharfedale Hospital bus when First cease operating it on 23rd October 2017.

This will run every half hour as now, and every bus will serve Wharfedale Hospital. It will operate with the same bus that comes from the 940, re-establishing a link from Holt Park and Cookridge to the Hospital.

We will put timetables on our website nearer the time

However I must say that Transdev's statement is a bit more certain of itself, saying that they "will be" as opposed to Connextions saying "are to". Expect more fireworks either way..... :(

Deerfold

Veteran Member
If Connexions are thinking of running via Wharfedale Hospital on all trips and using 1 bus (2, swapping between the 940 and 965), they're going to have very little recovery time.

Last edited:

SCH117X

Established Member
Connexions have a registration recorded by VOSA for the 965 - PB1003659/60

Nothing from Transdev unless their existing registration is to be modified - PB0001748/123

96tommy

Looks like Transdev are settign up another CityZap route. Their current one always looks very lightly loaded with rarely more than 10 passengers on so I don't know where the next one is going to be. Seen suggestions of Leeds - Manchester (via Burnley), and Ripon - Leeds (freeing up more paths between Leeds and Harrogate for the 36 I imagine)

mattpharrison

Looks like Transdev are settign up another CityZap route. Their current one always looks very lightly loaded with rarely more than 10 passengers on so I don't know where the next one is going to be. Seen suggestions of Leeds - Manchester (via Burnley), and Ripon - Leeds (freeing up more paths between Leeds and Harrogate for the 36 I imagine)

That's funny Tommy, a few months back on this very thread you were arguing you'd never seen more than '2 or 3 people' on it. Great to see growth by your estimations!

I'll repeat my earlier statement. I use Cityzap regularly, and every time I've travelled, without fail, there's hardly been a spare seat left onboard.

Don't believe me, though! The figures speak for themselves. Cityzap reported 250,000 users in its first year alone. Read more: http://www.transdevplc.co.uk/media-centre/index.jsp?newsID=86

96tommy

That's funny Tommy, a few months back on this very thread you were arguing you'd never seen more than '2 or 3 people' on it. Great to see growth by your estimations!

I'll repeat my earlier statement. I use Cityzap regularly, and every time I've travelled, without fail, there's hardly been a spare seat left onboard.

Don't believe me, though! The figures speak for themselves. Cityzap reported 250,000 users in its first year alone. Read more: http://www.transdevplc.co.uk/media-centre/index.jsp?newsID=86

Apart from when there's been disruption I've never seen one half full and I see a lot of them during the day. They've been a bit busier during the holidays but imagine them to start becoming less used once again. I've nothing against the service, if travelling between York and Leeds I use it over the train and I'm sure many others do as well. Definitely think it would be more used if it went maybe via Tad (slightlly biased by me!) and served the route now no longer served by Popplewell Care Home and avoided Woodlands to rejoin the M1.

Can't argue with facts! Don't know how many that means travels on each journey but their definitely has been growth recently and with train fares set to rise further, the numbers may keep increasing

Last edited:

96tommy

New route confirmed as Leeds - Manchester.

Interesting choice considering National Express return tickets are often less than £6/7 and same with Megabus who Transdev have recently formed a partnership with Megabus who operate in that route too. I assume the difference to those will be a secret stop like Hazelwood so concessionary passes can be used

theblackwatch

Established Member
Interesting - it opens up greater opportunities when using a Transdev Daytripper, assuming it is valid on that CityZap service. Wonder what vehicles they'll use?

Alex 2901

I'd be willing to take a punt on the vehicles being B5TL Geminis, as I've seen advertisements suggesting a frequency increase on the 36, so it wouldn't surprise me if either of the two options below happened:

1 - Frequency increase on Leeds to Harrogate (every 10 mins), but decrease to Ripon (every 20 mins), freeing up Gemini 3s
2- Full frequency increase, with additional new vehicles, of which 3-6 will be for Cityzap 2

Also, not going via Burnley, just run by Burnley. Likely that it'll go direct along the M62 and M621.

Bantamzen

Established Member
New route confirmed as Leeds - Manchester.

Interesting choice considering National Express return tickets are often less than £6/7 and same with Megabus who Transdev have recently formed a partnership with Megabus who operate in that route too. I assume the difference to those will be a secret stop like Hazelwood so concessionary passes can be used

Yes, very interesting and slightly odd choice. Journey times for NE are quoted as around 1h10m for the quickest routes, and that is without the usual M62 accident / bad weather / just darned busy conditions. So if this did run direct from Leeds bus station I can't see it making any quicker transits, maybe even longer depending on what vehicles they use and if there are further pickups along the route. Given that TPE will soon be offering considerably more capacity, and that NE have tried a Leeds-Manchester shuttle in the past I do wonder if there really is a market for a Zap-style service?

96tommy

Yes, very interesting and slightly odd choice. Journey times for NE are quoted as around 1h10m for the quickest routes, and that is without the usual M62 accident / bad weather / just darned busy conditions. So if this did run direct from Leeds bus station I can't see it making any quicker transits, maybe even longer depending on what vehicles they use and if there are further pickups along the route. Given that TPE will soon be offering considerably more capacity, and that NE have tried a Leeds-Manchester shuttle in the past I do wonder if there really is a market for a Zap-style service?

My thoughts too. I travel probably 6 or 7 times a month when I'm at home between Leeds and Manchester and never considered anything other than the train. If the daytripper is allowed it would be nice to get from Tadcaster to Manchester and back for £9.50 but I rarely pay more for the train. This Saturday for example I've managed to get a return Leeds to Manchester for £4.50 on the train. It's the ridiculous Coastliner prices to either Leeds or York station which is often the most expensive part of the journey. That might change come November. Would I rather save a few quid to sit in a jam or road works on the M62? Probably not but will definitely give it a go.

As you said it's a route what has been trialled a few times now but never with any great success. Maybe the use of ENCTS passes will be the game changer.

Does anyone know where it would terminate in Manchester? Presumably Shudehill or the Coach Station

Last edited:

NorthernSpirit

Established Member
Could the service be interworked somehow with the X43?

It would be interesting if they stopped at Hartshead Moor (for Huddersfield, Brighouse and Cleckheaton).

Status
Not open for further replies.