• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Competition heats up between Transdev and Connexions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stan Drews

Established Member
Some change coming to the 965. Quite from VOSA (including the typo);

PB1003659/60
HARROGATE COACH TRAVEL LTD, SECTION 3, SOUTHFIELD LANE, TOCKWITH, YORK, YO26 7QP

Operating between Otley Bus Staton and Otley Bus Station given service number 965 effective from 02 January 2018. To amend Timetable.

In the latest N&P they have now cancelled the 965 from two weeks later - 16th January.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

johntea

Established Member
Seems like Transdev have been allowed to erm...jazz up a few stands at Leeds bus station!

E3FFCD1C-78B5-4995-A411-3CC9D9E79E56.jpeg

backontrack

Established Member
A "few sly digs" hardly balances out the appalling social media comments that emerge from Tockwith.
There's no smoke without fire.

Your posts do seem to be very much in support of Transdev and anti-Connexions - and there's been a couple of occasions where you've deliberately tried to find a fight if you feel that Transdev has been criticised. Hmm.

Meanwhile: if you've got a season ticket on the railways on the same route, Transdev are letting you zap for free between Leeds and Manchester.

http://www.harrogatebus.co.uk/news.jsp?newsID=2190

07-12-2017

Christmas has come early for rail season ticket users, with the chance to ZAP for a week between Leeds and Manchester for FREE!

It's super simple too – just show your rail season ticket (7 days, monthly or more) to our friendly Zappy driver between 11 and 17 December, then take a seat and enjoy the ride.

We've got free WiFi and USB charging points on board and you're almost certainly guaranteed a seat – that's a super posh, comfy leather-quilted seat by the way.

We're sure you're going to love zapping with us. If you want to zap more regularly, you won't be disappointed by the price - at £34, our weekly ticket is less than half the price of the train - and it's almost 3 times more expensive to use the train if you're buying monthly tickets!

We zap FAST between Leeds and Manchester, every hour, every day. Our zappy drivers make use of ZAP NAV to find the quickest route, just like you would in the car - you won't find any leaves on the line here.

Head over to cityzap.co.uk to plan your next trip, download timetables and find out where we stop in Leeds and Manchester city centres.

We'd love to know what you think, so please let us know at [email protected] - and don't forget we're on Twitter too. Follow and tweet us @cityzapbus.

Last edited:

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Meanwhile: if you've got a season ticket on the railways on the same route, Transdev are letting you zap for free between Leeds and Manchester.

It's super simple too – just show your rail season ticket (7 days, monthly or more) to our friendly Zappy driver between 11 and 17 December, then take a seat and enjoy the ride.

Or more accurately, were letting people until today.

96tommy

Or more accurately, were letting people until today.

Was this offer for Leeds to Manchester rail season ticket holders only or Harrogate, York etc....

Can't see the bus winning over people who travel every day between Leeds and Manchester. The trains are more often and faster.

I'm sure people would rather maybe stand for an hour on a train and sit in rush hour queues over the M62. Personally, I think Transdev should focus more on infrequent travellers.

Curious to know if anybody knows how passenger numbers are doing on the new Zap? I've yet to see one of these buses myself but will hopefully try the journey out while I'm back in Yorkshire over Xmas. I assume the enthusiast rush to travel over the first week or 2 is now over and it is now regular customers using the bus? Interesting to see if this was a way to increase bus numbers or a long term plan to get more passengers (or both)

Last edited:

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Was this offer for Leeds to Manchester rail season ticket holders only or Harrogate, York etc....

Can't see the bus winning over people who travel every day between Leeds and Manchester. The trains are more often and faster.

I'm sure people would rather maybe stand for an hour on a train and sit in rush hour queues over the M62. Personally, I think Transdev should focus more on infrequent travellers.

Curious to know if anybody knows how passenger numbers are doing on the new Zap? I've yet to see one of these buses myself but will hopefully try the journey out while I'm back in Yorkshire over Xmas. I assume the enthusiast rush to travel over the first week or 2 is now over and it is now regular customers using the bus? Interesting to see if this was a way to increase bus numbers or a long term plan to get more passengers (or both)

Clearly, they are looking to compete on price “We're sure you're going to love zapping with us. If you want to zap more regularly, you won't be disappointed by the price - at £34, our weekly ticket is less than half the price of the train - and it's almost 3 times more expensive to use the train if you're buying monthly tickets!”

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Clearly, they are looking to compete on price “We're sure you're going to love zapping with us. If you want to zap more regularly, you won't be disappointed by the price - at £34, our weekly ticket is less than half the price of the train - and it's almost 3 times more expensive to use the train if you're buying monthly tickets!”

Whilst true for those with season tickets, much cheaper advance rail tickets are often available for those who are not so bothered about timings.

backontrack

Established Member
Timetables go missing.

https://twitter.com/connexionsbuses/status/929375495266951169
https://twitter.com/connexionsbuses/status/929375753434746880

"Deja vu- so our timetables go missing off x6 route and x70. @northyorkscc manage to talk to offending operator (you know who) and x6 back"

"And then today our X1 timetables vanish from the Aspin Estate contrary to nycc policy. Why do some companies think they are above the law?:

"Our timetables vanish from timetable cases on three routes in harrogate..... Need to call Sherlock Holmes to investigate"

96tommy

Timetables go missing.

https://twitter.com/connexionsbuses/status/929375495266951169
https://twitter.com/connexionsbuses/status/929375753434746880

"Deja vu- so our timetables go missing off x6 route and x70. @northyorkscc manage to talk to offending operator (you know who) and x6 back"

"And then today our X1 timetables vanish from the Aspin Estate contrary to nycc policy. Why do some companies think they are above the law?:

"Our timetables vanish from timetable cases on three routes in harrogate..... Need to call Sherlock Holmes to investigate"

Don't know why Transdev need to remove Connexions timetables. A certain forum user says Connexions act childish, well I don't think anybody can say this is not. Both companies should be looking at ways of working together and Transdev aren;t helping the situation here at all. Sounds like the council might need to remind bus companies of their responsibilities.

Last edited:

Andyh82

Established Member
The idea that Transdev are going round Harrogate, removing timetables is ludicrous. What would it achieve, as I doubt most of the older passengers who catch the Harrogate locals, read the timetable at the stop every day.

SCH117X

Established Member
If it did happen could it be that someone was told to check the timetable cases and remove anything stuck on and took the instruction too literally as to remove anything not of their own (the red cases being owned by Transdev - NYCCs are black). I do see people looking at the timetable cases so they do get used.

Smidster

The paranoia and conspiracy theories of Connexions is getting a bit silly - if they have any issues or problems the first thing they blame is the evil overlord of Transdev.

Transdev are far from perfect but I don't think there is a conspiracy afoot here - far more likely some local kids thought it would be funny.

backontrack

Established Member
The paranoia and conspiracy theories of Connexions is getting a bit silly - if they have any issues or problems the first thing they blame is the evil overlord of Transdev.

Transdev are far from perfect but I don't think there is a conspiracy afoot here - far more likely some local kids thought it would be funny.
In any case, I asked Transdev about it on Twitter. Silence. They haven't even denied it...

backontrack

Established Member
Alan Partridge-esque - "your silence speaks volumes"
"You have big sheds, but nobody's allowed in! And in these sheds you have 20ft high chickens, and these chickens are scared because the don't know why they're so big, and they're going, "Oh why am I so massive?" and they're looking down at all the little chickens and they think they're in an aeroplane because all the other chickens are so small. Do you deny THAT?"

I'm just a bit surprised that they haven't even moved to refute the claim.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
"You have big sheds, but nobody's allowed in! And in these sheds you have 20ft high chickens, and these chickens are scared because the don't know why they're so big, and they're going, "Oh why am I so massive?" and they're looking down at all the little chickens and they think they're in an aeroplane because all the other chickens are so small. Do you deny THAT?"

I'm just a bit surprised that they haven't even moved to refute the claim.

Their policy is seemingly not to comment on anything from Conn.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
Their policy is seemingly not to comment on anything from Conn.

Probably the most sensible course of action.

If they have been removed, and that's a big if, it'll be likely a mistake. "Remove everything stuck to it that's not ours", taken too literally.

96tommy

An interesting reply to one of the tweets did said. "He has form for doing it. Premiere had timetable go missing or covered up all the time."

Was this a problem in Nottingham at the time?

Last edited:

96tommy

I know I may not come across as Transdeva's biggest fan but even I dont believe they removed then. However if I was them, I would want to come out and say we didn't receive them. I'm a bit surprised they have yet to do that

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
I know I may not come across as Transdeva's biggest fan but even I dont believe they removed then. However if I was them, I would want to come out and say we didn't receive them. I'm a bit surprised they have yet to do that

They don’t generally respond to any of the tweets from Conn or Craig Temple. Would be more surprising if they did reply!

A PR person may advise to ignore as a policy rather than react.

Andyh82

Established Member
They should just install separate timetable cases for both operators.

I expect one sticking point is that Transdev tend to fill the whole space available with branding, ticket info etc rather than just slapping a small timetable in place.

Status
Not open for further replies.