• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Completely Empty Trains

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidGrain

Established Member
When they were doing the work on ThamesLink, one weekend I was at Blackfriers and wanted to get to St Pancras late afternoon, I got the rail replacement bus and the driver told me that it was the end of his shift and I had been the only passenger that day.

There are two early morning XC trains from Birmingham to Cardiff which I assume have few passenger between then. I am assuming that they are really positioning trains also used to maintain route knowledge as one goes via Stourbridge and one via Camp Hill with the rest going via University.

Perhaps this is the thread to ask what is the purpose of the Friday night WMR train to Gloucester arriving after midnight? I am assuming it is not route knowledge as there is no reason for WMR trains to go that way even on diversion. Also as the route is covered by GWR trains during the day, it can't be a 'parly'.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

tsr

Established Member
When they were doing the work on ThamesLink, one weekend I was at Blackfriers and wanted to get to St Pancras late afternoon, I got the rail replacement bus and the driver told me that it was the end of his shift and I had been the only passenger that day.

There was one occasion that Southern ran buses on a Sunday from Purley to Oxted, trains from Oxted to Ashurst (with a pilotman for reversals at Ashurst and everything), and further buses from Ashurst to Uckfield. Then they wondered, after all that effort, how many people would use the buses.

Well, as it turned out, I seem to recall hearing that the entire loading for the day’s buses between Ashurst and Uckfield, hourly from mid-morning and in both directions, was 6 people. The trains didn’t have many more, either.

I have also been on the odd Brighton Mainline replacement bus in the small hours which has only had one or two people on it. On one occasion at about 2am on a random Wednesday, nobody onboard the bus actually wanted anywhere near any of the stations, so the driver simply dropped the handful of passengers at random bus stops of their choosing on the A23 between Purley and Horley, which was basically entirely appropriate for the scenario in question.

387star

On Moderation
Southern services up from Chichester etc to London (which make rear 4 coaches once attached) around 11am-3pm are often very quiet especially in the last coach where it is quite possible to have a whole four seats with table to yourself as far as Croydon. The 30 min run from Barnham to Horsham removes a lot of potential custom I guess. Those at Horsham Will board the front four already on the platform

Trains travelling the other way are a lot busier especially from around 3pm right through to close of service

A later train to Chichester would be welcomed . Last off vic at 2236 leaves many frantically running to the far flung platform 18 after a concert or play. There is only a later train on a Saturday . Havant enjoys much later trains

w1bbl3

Perhaps this is the thread to ask what is the purpose of the Friday night WMR train to Gloucester arriving after midnight? I am assuming it is not route knowledge as there is no reason for WMR trains to go that way even on diversion. Also as the route is covered by GWR trains during the day, it can't be a 'parly'.

The service is a franchise hangover from when London Midland had as part of the franchise run to Glos from Worcester twice hourly during the day prior to '09. Why it still remains is an interesting question as DfT actually removed the obligation to run the once per week service in the WM franchise prospectus.

Deepgreen

Established Member
Twice last week I was fortunate enough to sample completely empty pacer trains along the Northern Network. With Monday being 142094 from Danby to Nunthrope and Sunday being 142026 from Hartlepool to Billingham on the Teeside Airport Train.

My thoughts on journeys that could possibly be empty based on near-experience include:
Sunday 17:32 Newcastle to Metrocentre.
Weekday Chathill Evening Return.

Does anybody know of any services that are usually empty?
Is an empty 'Pacer' even bouncier than a loaded one?!

DavidGrain

Established Member
The service is a franchise hangover from when London Midland had as part of the franchise run to Glos from Worcester twice hourly during the day prior to '09. Why it still remains is an interesting question as DfT actually removed the obligation to run the once per week service in the WM franchise prospectus.

Perhaps this is why RTT usually shows it as WMR from New Street to Shrub Hill and an 'unknown operator' continuing on to Gloucester.

Status
Not open for further replies.