• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Completely Empty Trains

Status
Not open for further replies.

cactustwirly

Established Member
A left over from days of Turbos on the stoppers, now the 387s have given a capacity boost the stops on the Frome services at Twyford should get removed to allow long distance commuters the chance of a seat from Paddington :lol:

No because the 1807 isn't a long distance service anyway!
There definitely isn't enough capacity on existing services to remove the Twyford stop, it leaves Paddington full and standing, but upon departure from Twyford there are plenty of seats available! I would say at least 200 people alight from Twyford on this particular service!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Kite159

Veteran Member
No because the 1807 isn't a long distance service anyway!
There definitely isn't enough capacity on existing services to remove the Twyford stop, it leaves Paddington full and standing, but upon departure from Twyford there are plenty of seats available! I would say at least 200 people alight from Twyford on this particular service!

You tell those commuters from Pewsey/Westbury/Frome that they are not long distance intercity stations, and that they have to stand to allow a Twyford commuter a seat on an Intercity train to avoid a 387...

GWR should remove the calls as existing services have capacity, i.e. those 387s which are fast to Maidenhead/Slough during the peaks.

cactustwirly

Established Member
You tell those commuters from Pewsey/Westbury/Frome that they are not long distance intercity stations, and that they have to stand to allow a Twyford commuter a seat on an Intercity train to avoid a 387...

GWR should remove the calls as existing services have capacity, i.e. those 387s which are fast to Maidenhead/Slough during the peaks.

But the number of Pewsey & Westbury commuters is very small! There are alternative services they could use!
The two xx07 Frome services act as crowd busters for Twyford, Theale & Newbury commuters!
The existing 387 services, are at capacity and couldn't take an extra 300 people!

Kite159

Veteran Member
But the number of Pewsey & Westbury commuters is very small! There are alternative services they could use!
The two xx07 Frome services act as crowd busters for Twyford, Theale & Newbury commuters!
The existing 387 services, are at capacity and couldn't take an extra 300 people!

I'm sure the Maidenhead commuters would love to have their fast intercity services back during the peaks, but they got 'downgraded' to mere 387s, Twyford should be the same. No intercity services should call between Paddington & Reading during the peaks, with more skipping Reading to be first stop Didcot/Swindon.

But I do hope you enjoy those lovely 345s coming your way soon :lol:, they are true people eaters and should easily deal with the small number of Twyford commuters unwilling to use the fast 387s because they still see themselves as above mere commuters.

Anyhow this has gone too far off-topic of empty trains.

------------------

Some Saturday morning 05:15-ish Salisbury - Waterloo services are normally quite empty until Basingstoke, and I suspect some of the early morning services this morning were empty.

Polarbear

Established Member
Back in my student days (1983-1985), I travelled from Newcastle to Kings Cross on a HST. Weekend 1st upgrade for £3 got me a 1st class Mk3 to myself for the whole trip to the Cross. That wouldn't happen today!

Numbnuts846

The early morning trains from weymouth via yeovil to Bristol sometimes leave weymouth with nobody in till you get towards yeovil

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
I arranged a slightly later train on the Watford - St Albans branch one Xmas Eve.

Completely empty back from SAA - bar one passenger Watford North to Watford Junction ........still I tried.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Been a few years since I last used the service, but Bromley North to Grove Park shuttle, in the evening and that direction, after about 19.30.

HowardGWR

Established Member
The early morning trains from weymouth via yeovil to Bristol sometimes leave weymouth with nobody in till you get towards yeovil
I should think that's because the orientation of Weymouth inhabitants is towards Poole and Bournemouth, where the jobs are? Also, if you work in Dorchester, perhaps the season fares are possibly cheaper on SWR only? Loads of SWR trains about that time as follows in this link:
http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/search/advanced/WEY/2019/01/02/0000-2359?stp=WVSC&show=all&order=wtt

Added note: Buses may be more convenient up to Dorchester too - possibly cheaper?

Kite159

Veteran Member
The old ~ 06:07 Salisbury - Westbury service on Saturdays mornings was normally empty from Salisbury on the times I've used it. I suspect the 06:07 to Gloucester is also empty more often than not on departure from Salisbury.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
I was once the only passenger on a train leaving Knottingley for Wakefield Westgate, perhaps in October or November of 2014 at around 2100ish. Someoe else boarded at Pontefract Monkhill but there were only a handful of other passengers on at any time during the journey.

Bikeman78

Established Member
Twice last week I was fortunate enough to sample completely empty pacer trains along the Northern Network. With Monday being 142094 from Danby to Nunthrope and Sunday being 142026 from Hartlepool to Billingham on the Teeside Airport Train.

My thoughts on journeys that could possibly be empty based on near-experience include:
Sunday 17:32 Newcastle to Metrocentre.
Weekday Chathill Evening Return.

Does anybody know of any services that are usually empty?
A few years ago I travelled on a 455+456+456 formation to Epsom Downs. I was the only passenger on the train at Epsom Downs. The return working wasn't exactly packed either, maybe five passengers. I wonder if the recent increase to half hourly has boosted passenger numbers.

Taunton

Established Member
We had a recent thread about Severn Beach, which I recall from long ago, for the nine months of the year when the summer entertainment park was not open, would consistently arrive and depart empty. However did it survive Beeching beyond Avonmouth?

Barnsley

Me and my mate went for an afternoon out in Pontefract a few years ago, we boarded the 1329 Sheffield to York at Meadowhall, we were the only ones on it until we bailed at Baghill, similarly, I have been the only one on after Knottingley on the 1207 Leeds to Goole before they pulled it

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Me and my mate went for an afternoon out in Pontefract a few years ago, we boarded the 1329 Sheffield to York at Meadowhall, we were the only ones on it until we bailed at Baghill, similarly, I have been the only one on after Knottingley on the 1207 Leeds to Goole before they pulled it

The advent of cheap advance fares have meant that the Northern Sheffield to York services have seen quite the upsurge in passenger numbers. With a railcard I can get up to York for £3.85 even a day in advance! Not quite rammed, but well filled in addition to Ulleskelf, Church Fenton and Sherburn passengers from York.

bramling

Veteran Member
The advent of cheap advance fares have meant that the Northern Sheffield to York services have seen quite the upsurge in passenger numbers. With a railcard I can get up to York for £3.85 even a day in advance! Not quite rammed, but well filled in addition to Ulleskelf, Church Fenton and Sherburn passengers from York.

Must admit on the couple of occasions I’ve used it the train was reasonably busy - mainly screaming families to/from Meadowhall.

frodshamfella

Established Member
Twice last week I was fortunate enough to sample completely empty pacer trains along the Northern Network. With Monday being 142094 from Danby to Nunthrope and Sunday being 142026 from Hartlepool to Billingham on the Teeside Airport Train.

My thoughts on journeys that could possibly be empty based on near-experience include:
Sunday 17:32 Newcastle to Metrocentre.
Weekday Chathill Evening Return.

Does anybody know of any services that are usually empty?

I think the evening Helsby to Ellesmere Port return service would be, it was when I went on it. When there were two returns of an afteŕnoon there were normally a few passengers, even passengers from Ince and Elton.

John Taylor

Just think this time next year we will be pacer free, and with two empty pacer rides both in the same week I feel the end of the RailBus is fast approaching. I can't imagine a Durham Coast Line without Pacers, we have had them for life.

hawk1911

Not quite completely empty, but yesterday morning I caught the 07:50 (Stafford to Carlisle service) Virgin Trains 9 coach Pendolino.

As confirmed by the Train Manager, I was one of two passengers on the train when it departed Stafford.

Established Member
One that hasn't been mentioned is the 0803 Greater Anglia service from London Liverpool Street to Cambridge which I catch quite often, that service tends to be very empty as it is formed of a 12 car 379. Very lovely train to catch and I have caught it several times but passengers only hover in the last carriage usually :lol:

It solely exists as a stock move so that the train can sit in the Cambridge sidings all day and does the fastest GA run I am aware of in about 63 minutes from London Liverpool Street to Cambridge. Runs nearly non stop, making only the one call at Tottenham Hale.

GA should promote this train to the leisure market and perhaps extend it to Ely / King's Lynn, rivalling GN at cheap prices, using the front 4 coaches with a corresponding service returning back to London around 5pm ish?

Kite159

Veteran Member
One that hasn't been mentioned is the 0803 Greater Anglia service from London Liverpool Street to Cambridge which I catch quite often, that service tends to be very empty as it is formed of a 12 car 379. Very lovely train to catch and I have caught it several times but passengers only hover in the last carriage usually :lol:

It solely exists as a stock move so that the train can sit in the Cambridge sidings all day and does the fastest GA run I am aware of in about 63 minutes from London Liverpool Street to Cambridge. Runs nearly non stop, making only the one call at Tottenham Hale.

GA should promote this train to the leisure market and perhaps extend it to Ely / King's Lynn, rivalling GN at cheap prices, using the front 4 coaches with a corresponding service returning back to London around 5pm ish?

08:03 is a bit early for the weekday leisure market from London as I would imagine anybody travelling from London to Cambridge that time of day will mostly be using anytime tickets

387star

On Moderation
Off peak London bridge to Epsom trains are generous 10 car 377s with the ,/3 class having very comfortable seats while on the coast overcrowded 313s prevail

387star

On Moderation
A few years ago I travelled on a 455+456+456 formation to Epsom Downs. I was the only passenger on the train at Epsom Downs. The return working wasn't exactly packed either, maybe five passengers. I wonder if the recent increase to half hourly has boosted passenger numbers.
Epsom downs is often dead!

I once had a carriage to myself and a train with only one other passenger on it on the London Underground in the rush hour

-- it was on the Aldwych branch, travelling south in the evening peak.

geoffk

Established Member
I seem to remember having the Cardiff Bay - Queen Street service to myself a few years ago. That's probably cheating though as it only takes four minutes.

sarahj

Established Member
Off peak London bridge to Epsom trains are generous 10 car 377s with the ,/3 class having very comfortable seats while on the coast overcrowded 313s prevail
Some of the late trains back from Seaford/Lewes can be rather quiet. 23.53 from Lewes to Brighton on Tue night was empty. One passenger did get on at Mouslecoombe, but then got off at London Rd. I have to admit, I did not do a ticket check, nor an arrival announcement at Brighton.

chefchenko

I was on the last cardiff - crewe train on Tuesday night and after Hereford I don’t think anyone else got on , just me and a fellow port vale fan all the way to crewe

craigybagel

Established Member
I was on the last cardiff - crewe train on Tuesday night and after Hereford I don’t think anyone else got on , just me and a fellow port vale fan all the way to crewe

You had it on a busy night! It's rare there's anybody on it on arrival. It's often empty North of Ludlow.

Status
Not open for further replies.