• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Computers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gareth Hale

Simming said:
I didn't personally do it, I got my brother in law to do it, whos quite a wizz with computers to do it, and it was still crap.

and as much as I would love to have a knowledge likes yours, I have, along with alot of other people, a life.
[EDIT]

I cant wait till platform 5 realise there new spotting book

"Different types of B0ll0cks that gareth hale posts"

Im sure we would be able to spot all of them in one week!

Can we get back to the subject please?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

T

Tom

http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/114017/rb/21238606774 is still a needlessly high processor rating.

Bob, for your needs I would recommend an Intel based (possibly dual core) P4 processor for a PC, or for a laptop a Centrino dual core.

Have a look at Dell, although some people don't think too highly of them, the systems they do are very good value for money and are excellent.

Gareth Hale

Tom said:
http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/114017/rb/21238606774 is still a needlessly high processor rating.

Bob, for your needs I would recommend an Intel based (possibly dual core) P4 processor for a PC, or for a laptop a Centrino dual core.

Have a look at Dell, although some people don't think too highly of them, the systems they do are very good value for money and are excellent.

A dual core Pentium IV is more powerful and faster than the Athlon 64 3200+!

T

Tom

Yeah, but they're cheaper (remember, Intel is better for non-gamers!!!) ;)

T

Tom

Integrated graphics is quite good actually if you find the right drivers. ;)

BUT, there are rumours that the AM3 is coming soon ... or whatever they're gonna call the successor. Quite simply, you don't have more upgrade options, as they'll find a faster way of processing details, so you'll still have to get a new mobo.

Gareth Hale

Tom said:
Integrated graphics is quite good actually if you find the right drivers. ;)

BUT, there are rumours that the AM3 is coming soon ... or whatever they're gonna call the successor. Quite simply, you don't have more upgrade options, as they'll find a faster way of processing details, so you'll still have to get a new mobo.
AM3 is compatable with AM2 according to rumors also. Intergrated graphics are complete crap, they use the processor on running it, where dedicated graphics have their own CPU giving the CPU less to do so you can have higher graphics. Same w/Sound Cards, add a sound card and your games will go up by a few FPS and it will sound ace also!

Quote Wikipedia, Click on the Quote box to view complete artical.

T

Tom

Maybe for a desktop youre on about, but for a laptop which doesn't see much gaming usage, they are excellent.

My new one, from Siemens, has integrated, and it works just fine!

devon_metro

Established Member
I just find AMD confusing, i was trying to find a 2.8Ghz+ computer and i get all of this 3200 amd blah blah and it means nothing. I find that the clock speed is about 2Ghz on the AMD i was looking at. Intel is simple. Does what is says on the tin. And who says it can't do games? If you have the right graphics cards etc then it can!

[EDIT]
Oh, i have intergrated graphics i think, SiS 616 IIRC, not sure if taht is intergrated. And everything works fine.

Tom B

Established Member
Integrated graphics is rubbish if you want any sort of 3d or gaming stuff.

H

HR2

Who wants games? I want a nice reasonably inexpensive PC or laptop that will let me make CD's and DVD's. It does not even have to have a very large hard drive as I have an external hard drive with my good stuff stored on.

Possibly that is another path to take. Instead of having a PC/Laptop with a large partitioned hard drive it may be better to have a machine with a small ahrd drive with just the O/S on it and keep all files on external drives. That to me sounds interesting.

Ben

This Topic has been Given a GH­­™ Rating.

A GH™ Rating means this Topic has been marked as Unsafe and should not be Approached!

H

HR2

158 said:
This Topic has been Given a GH­­™ Rating.

A GH™ Rating means this Topic has been marked as Unsafe and should not be Approached!

%^*"+$wpskyg to you too! :alien:

[EDIT]
A solution has presented itself men! As the landlord only ever plays Scrabble, patience, Mahjong etc on his PC and it has 200 gb of disk I think the thing to do is get him a cheapo laptop or summat to do that ith. He has no internet and never stores files other than saved games of the type I mentioned so I can have his PC and he can have a gamer to play with. He is quite happy sitting in his room playing with himself as it keeps him quiet and out of my way.

H

HR2

Craig said:
What your landlord get's up to is nothing to do with us :shock: :?

Wrong choice of words Craig :oops: I meant that he is quite content to sit in his room playing games on his computer all alone.

Gareth Hale

Liam said:
I just find AMD confusing, i was trying to find a 2.8Ghz+ computer and i get all of this 3200 amd blah blah and it means nothing. I find that the clock speed is about 2Ghz on the AMD i was looking at. Intel is simple. Does what is says on the tin. And who says it can't do games? If you have the right graphics cards etc then it can!

[EDIT]
Oh, i have intergrated graphics i think, SiS 616 IIRC, not sure if taht is intergrated. And everything works fine.

AMD does not have a clock speed ;) The number in the model is the speed

IE

3200+ = 3.2GHz
3400+ = 3.4GHz
4800+ = 4.8GHz

etc etc.

And by the way, AMD have improved a lot since a long time ago.

Nick W

Established Member
If you don't want games, viruses, spyware and hassle, and just want multimedia, office, browsing, music, photo managing, video making and maybe msn messenger, the mac mini or mac book is the perfect choice.

You can of course still install windows on it. Benchmarks show that viruses run faster on macs with windows on than dell pcs though.

The Mac Book starts from £750 but you'll need the £900 model for DVD burning.
mb_step1_hero_060509.jpg

The Mac Mini is from £400 which comes with no keyboard, monitor or mouse, but with a remote control and built in speaker if you don't want to use your own. The £550 model will give you DVD burning and dual core processor. £600 will give you 1GB of ram.
beautyshotmacmini_060228.jpg

The iMac might be out of your budget, but it has a built in display and comes with mouse and keyboard. My iMac G5 is over 1.5 years old and still runs fine and i would reccommend iMac.
im_step1_hero_060110.jpg

T

Tom

And I suspect he has things which are Windows only and would rather just pay for a Windows computer than a Mac + Windows software+licence.

And Gareth, you are misleading us there I'm afraid.

AMD say 3200+ because thats the speed compared to INTEL. So if Intel change their speeds, etc, then AMD are technically misleading the market!

Gareth Hale

Tom said:
And I suspect he has things which are Windows only and would rather just pay for a Windows computer than a Mac + Windows software+licence.

And Gareth, you are misleading us there I'm afraid.

AMD say 3200+ because thats the speed compared to INTEL. So if Intel change their speeds, etc, then AMD are technically misleading the market!

Intel cannot change their speeds as their multipliers x FSB = their processing speed.

IE
FSB of 200Mhz and a multiplier of 14 and 512kb cache will give you an Intel P4 2.8GHz CPU!

class 313

Established Member
Nick W said:
If you don't want games, viruses, spyware and hassle, and just want multimedia, office, browsing, music, photo managing, video making and maybe msn messenger, the mac mini or mac book is the perfect choice.

You can of course still install windows on it. Benchmarks show that viruses run faster on macs with windows on than dell pcs though.

The Mac Book starts from £750 but you'll need the £900 model for DVD burning.
mb_step1_hero_060509.jpg

The Mac Mini is from £400 which comes with no keyboard, monitor or mouse, but with a remote control and built in speaker if you don't want to use your own. The £550 model will give you DVD burning and dual core processor. £600 will give you 1GB of ram.
beautyshotmacmini_060228.jpg

The iMac might be out of your budget, but it has a built in display and comes with mouse and keyboard. My iMac G5 is over 1.5 years old and still runs fine and i would reccommend iMac.
im_step1_hero_060110.jpg

APPLE suk END OF!

What you need is a AMD ive got one, its great (Its a AMD64) :lurk:

Gareth Hale

No, its just that Class 313 knows how a PC should be Properly set up. Intel does nothing for me, in fact, there crap!, AMD are the best for everything. They even beat Intel on office documents. Even the Sempron played games well!

At the moment im typing this, listening to WMP, installing Microsoft Office 2000 Professional and my CPU load is not over 27%!

Lewisham2221

Established Member
How much money are AMD and Apple paying Gareth Hale and Nick W, respectively? Particularly in Gareths case I'd hope it's a decent amount, for how determined he is! :lol:

Gareth Hale

Lewisham2221 said:
How much money are AMD and Apple paying Gareth Hale and Nick W, respectively? Particularly in Gareths case I'd hope it's a decent amount, for how determined he is! :lol:
AMD are not paying me anything although I should pass this onto them, as I am actually trying to promote the Processor Range as much as possible. I just go with what ive learnt and seen, its not just a case of AMD vs Intel, its the benchmarks and AMD beats all of the Pentium 4 Processors, even the 3.8GHz P4 with the Athlon 64 3800+!

class 313

Established Member
Gareth Hale said:
No, its just that Class 313 knows how a PC should be properally set up. Intel does nothing for me, in fact, there crap!, AMD are the best for everything. They even beat Intel on office documents. Even the Sempron played games well!

At the moment im typing this, listening to WMP, installing Microsoft Office 2000 Professional and my CPU load is not over 42%!

Well first, apple computers drive me nuts! Just the way the operating system works pees me off! atleast with windows you can get anythin back you deleted using DOS but in apple well its pretty much gone, and the amount of glitches on apple... im gunna stop lol.

Intels CPUs are ****ty and get overloaded easily causing the computer to come to a halt.

Gareth Hale

class 313 said:
Well first, apple computers drive me nuts! Just the way the operating system works pees me off! atleast with windows you can get anythin back you deleted using DOS but in apple well its pretty much gone, and the amount of glitches on apple... im gunna stop lol.

Intels CPUs are ****ty and get overloaded easily causing the computer to come to a halt.
I also agree with that, you can use Tune-up in Windows or Dos in DOS to recover stuff, Windows XP has a fantasticly high compatablility rating also, where Apple Doesn't. Intel doesnt have its Memory bus built into the processor which equals SLOWER PROCESSING SPEED as it has to go through the motherboard bus.

AMD 64 + Windows XP is the perfect combo!
Intel + Apple is a worse combo ever known to man
AMD 64 + Apple Dont think there is one
Intel + Windows XP = Crappy Combo, Slow, Sluggish and non responsive!

I thought id time Mircrosoft Word loading a 3MB file today, it took 1.187 seconds to open it!
I thought id time Microsoft Word loading a blank document, lets just say, it was so fast that I can not time it.

Intel cannot even compete with that!

class 313

Established Member
AMD 64 + Linux (suse or mandriva or ubuntu) is a great combo. Evan with the full package of suse it runs fast.

Lewisham2221

Established Member
Gareth Hale said:
I thought id time Mircrosoft Word loading a 3MB file today, it took 1.187 seconds to open it!
Erm, as you seem to like doing pointless, timewasting things, try this little puzzle....

Rearrange the following words into a well known phrase:

life get a

;)

Status
Not open for further replies.