• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

conductor assessments

Status
Not open for further replies.

nomi

hi guys,

i was wondering how many times can someone sit for conductors assessment?
i understand with train driving its twice and no more after that, but i have heard that with conductors assessment its depending with the company that you have sat it with for example if you have failed twice with 1 company you can still sit it again as long as its with another company, is this right?

all comments appreciated, cheers:roll:

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

455/8

Hey nomi

I know South West Trains started saying if you're an external applicant you can only sit the assesments twice and if you fail you must wait a minimum of 6 months between each assessment date but if you're an internal applicant you can sit the assessments three times and the 6 months gap still applies. I'm not too sure however if this is still the case or not i think it is but as i said not too sure.

Alan

CarterUSM

Established Member
Hey nomi

I know South West Trains started saying if you're an external applicant you can only sit the assesments twice and if you fail you must wait a minimum of 6 months between each assessment date but if you're an internal applicant you can sit the assessments three times and the 6 months gap still applies. I'm not too sure however if this is still the case or not i think it is but as i said not too sure.

Alan

Same with scotrail, though 2 cracks at it applies internally also.

new driver

Am definate its two tries with any company in the country. that means you can go to SWTrains and then to Northern and if you fail both times thats the end.

Sorry to give you the bad news but having been through both conductor and drivers asses now I know this to be fact.

nomi

right, if two times is a fact then could someone please advise me on this..
i sat the assessment with 1 company and passed but did not get through the interview stage which also had a role play, the company advised me that i could reapply again after 6 months and would not have to do assessments again but only the role play and the interview (what i failed on) now i am preparing myself for the next time BUT.... i am thinking of applying with another company beacuse i still have a while to go with the previous company i applied with, sooooo would this be a good idea? applying with another company or wait for 6 months with the company i applied for before? i think i know a bit about that company rather then the new 1 i would apply for, also i have been through the whole procedure with this previous company and would bet myself to know what to expect for the next time.

what are your suggestions guys? thanks

CarterUSM

Established Member
right, if two times is a fact then could someone please advise me on this..
i sat the assessment with 1 company and passed but did not get through the interview stage which also had a role play, the company advised me that i could reapply again after 6 months and would not have to do assessments again but only the role play and the interview (what i failed on) now i am preparing myself for the next time BUT.... i am thinking of applying with another company beacuse i still have a while to go with the previous company i applied with, sooooo would this be a good idea? applying with another company or wait for 6 months with the company i applied for before? i think i know a bit about that company rather then the new 1 i would apply for, also i have been through the whole procedure with this previous company and would bet myself to know what to expect for the next time.

what are your suggestions guys? thanks

Don't hang about, apply for the other company too, make it clear you have sat and passed assessment before also, it wouldn't be hard to google the other company and find out a little info anyway, what have you got to lose? :) EDIT: just to be clear, you can only fail the test twice, i suppose you could theoretically sit and pass as many times as is possibl.

nomi

well i spoke to the lady in the recruitment and she said even though i passed the tests but then failed on the interview and role play stage...it counts as 1 fail so can try again 1 more time only at a later stage.
so i dont know whats going on...i feel i shouldnt apply with another company as i have allready passed with the previous and therefore go straight to the role play and interview stage but if this is not true then i would like to apply with another company... im confused, i dont know what to do, i really want to get into the railway!!

CarterUSM

Established Member
well i spoke to the lady in the recruitment and she said even though i passed the tests but then failed on the interview and role play stage...it counts as 1 fail so can try again 1 more time only at a later stage.
so i dont know whats going on...i feel i shouldnt apply with another company as i have allready passed with the previous and therefore go straight to the role play and interview stage but if this is not true then i would like to apply with another company... im confused, i dont know what to do, i really want to get into the railway!!

Right, i get what you mean. As far as i know, the role play is part of the assessment, the interview, if it was a structured one, could also be a part of the assessment. I would get this clarified as soon as possible as it sounds like you may have failed the assessment. If this is the case, GET feedback and duly act upon it if you get another chance. :)

nomi

thanks, ill do that, thanks for all your comments, really appreciate it.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.