• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Confirmation of rolling stock changes at Southeastern, including 707s

Status
Not open for further replies.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
First 458/5 passenger traffic March 2014. First 707 passenger run July 2017
As you suggest, the 458/5 and 456s were a completely separate capacity increase to the 707s, and I don’t think they should really be considered as parts of one SWT project.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Snow1964

Established Member
Realistically, what is the timetable for the first unit to be introduced.

701 introduction to SWR
707 lease to be released
Driver training
Timetable introduction.

Considering the May change will have already happened for the timetable December is the next change so the earliest is looking to be 8 months away. Add in Corona and I'm not holding out and reasonable introduction till at least 2021 :/

Are there not a few relatively self contained workings where they might be introduced initially. Might release a few networkers for strengthening other services or even reforming some into 3 car.

But might not be fully utilised until a timetable change in May or December 2021

ComUtoR

Established Member
I'm sure there will be some kind of plan and hopefully GoVia have learned there lesson from the 700 introduction to Thameslink. You could put on on the Bromley North branch and use it for training runs. Very self contained and low impact if things go wrong.

Juniper Driver

Established Member
That original newspaper clipping is confusing.

Although I knew 707's were unpopular at the start, as far as I know they became more popular because of their superior acceleration and door opening/closing times. After being used on the Windsor route many were transferred to the Shepperton route, due this route having poor performance in timekeeping with 455's.

I thought SWT and SWR wanted to keep these trains, but they had to go to South Eastern as they were destined to go there originally when the original SWT/SWR lease expired.

Also with more 707 driver training recently and the increased delay of 701's with the current situation not helping, possibly the 707's stay may be extended even longer.

I'd like to see just one rebranded in SWR livery as it looks very nice.... and perhaps a 455/458 also.

Last edited by a moderator:

Domh245

Established Member
SWR had no intention of keeping them alongside the new 701s. SouthEastern had been rumoured as their next TOC after leaving SW but it'd never been confirmed until now

phil281

If they replace anything my guess will the 377/5s. They will come back to southern boot out the 313s and extend shoulder peak services up to 12 car formations.

Fincra5

Established Member
If they replace anything my guess will the 377/5s. They will come back to southern boot out the 313s and extend shoulder peak services up to 12 car formations.

I wouldn't imagine so seeing as GTR are getting no "new" stock during the franchise. Although the DfT pull the strings. I can't imagine 707s will stray much off Metro work.

Deepgreen

Established Member
That’s unfair on the “Grauniad” and deeply flattering to “Rail”. I’d say Rail is more like “The Sun”: sensationalist headlines, poor journalism and weak fact checking. For that reason I’ll wait for a more reputable source to confirm the 707 story.
Indeed - there's a world of difference between 'The Guardian' with its infamous typos, and the downright factual errors so often found in the lesser rags.

supervc-10

Well I'd presume that nothing will happen until the 701s are in service at SWR, and with the whole virus situation, who knows when that will be as staff can't be easily trained and the units themselves are being held up in delivery.

ComUtoR

Established Member
SE will need at least 1 unit for training and to set up stopping points etc. Whoever is going to maintain them will also need to look over them and start training on them too.

Snow1964

Established Member
I'm hearing through the grapevine that a 707 is already at Slade Green awaiting testing

If true, probably a temporary loan, for physical testing (timing between stations, physical check of stepping gap at each platform, any signal or monitor sighting problems).

Lot of logic in finding out now if somewhere has a rogue platform where platform edge, or something needs altering etc.

spark001uk

Established Member
I noticed the other day 707030 looks to have had a coming together with something, nearside moulding under headlight is missing. Currently still running around but with that cab in the centre of a 10car. Assume that'll have to be repaired before it's handed over.
Was that the unit that struck a tree a few months back?

Mikey C

Established Member
I noticed the other day 707030 looks to have had a coming together with something, nearside moulding under headlight is missing. Currently still running around but with that cab in the centre of a 10car. Assume that'll have to be repaired before it's handed over.
Was that the unit that struck a tree a few months back?
SWR will just do what people do when selling a dented car, wait until it's quite dark outside and stand in the right place so that the new owner can't see the damage :E

spark001uk

Established Member
707030 now has its new piece of valance. They could've cleaned the other side though. Or chucked some dirt at the new one!

Mikey C

Established Member
I spoke to a friend of mine who is a Driver at Slade Green. Couldn't see a 707 parked anywhere.
The local yoof nicked it. It was last spotted doing handbrake turns around Thamesmead :D

Status
Not open for further replies.