• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cornish bus operators (excluding First Kernow)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goldfish62

Established Member
Mounts Bay coaches have recently acquired this Optare Tempo from Abus, Bristol for a new school contract. It has reverted to it's original registration:-
That does look smart!

From January coaches without wheelchair lifts etc ("DDA") will not be able to be used on school contracts, hence a sensible purchase by Mount's Bay.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

richw

Veteran Member
That does look smart!

From January coaches without wheelchair lifts etc ("DDA") will not be able to be used on school contracts, hence a sensible purchase by Mount's Bay.

Not quite correct. It depends on terms of the tender, and if the children/ parents have to pay.
If each passenger (child) is paid for individually then correct.
If the council ‘hire’ the bus and there is no individual fares then DDA is not applicable.
I don’t know what route Cornwall council have gone down, but some local authorities were inviting prices for ‘private hire’ with no separate fares to each child, and a separate price for each child having a separate fare.

Goldfish62

Established Member
Not quite correct. It depends on terms of the tender, and if the children/ parents have to pay.
If each passenger (child) is paid for individually then correct.
If the council ‘hire’ the bus and there is no individual fares then DDA is not applicable.
I don’t know what route Cornwall council have gone down, but some local authorities were inviting prices for ‘private hire’ with no separate fares to each child, and a separate price for each child having a separate fare.
OK, I was generalising a bit as I didn't want to complicate things for the purposes of this thread.

I'm following developments on this from a professional point of view and the DfT have decided to play hard ball given their opinion is that operators have had 20 years notice. I think those councils who are trying to get around the regulations in their way you describe may be in for a shock. Certainly at the moment I haven't come across anyone in the industry or at local authorities who can say for certainty if there is any way of exempting such services.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
OK, I was generalising a bit as I didn't want to complicate things for the purposes of this thread.

I'm following developments on this from a professional point of view and the DfT have decided to play hard ball given their opinion is that operators have had 20 years notice. I think those councils who are trying to get around the regulations in their way you describe may be in for a shock. Certainly at the moment I haven't come across anyone in the industry or at local authorities who can say for certainty if there is any way of exempting such services.
I know it's slightly off-topic, but i do get bemused seeing the high floor buses used on free supermarket shoppers' services when the clientele consists almost entirely of the elderly and less mobile, struggling with shopping bags and trolleys. The supermarkets will of course say 'if we had to have more modern buses the services wouldn't be viable' but I consider that a lame excuse in 2019.

83G/84D

Established Member
Mellor Strata Ultra KF19 LCV is under evaluation by OTS and was displayed at the Plymouth bus rally today.

Attachments

• G06A1292rev.jpg
    G06A1292rev.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 35

richw

Veteran Member

I’m led to believe there is no where near sufficient DDA compliant coaches in the country to meet demand.

Goldfish62

Established Member
Following on from their Tempo Mount's Bay also now have an Irish registered ALX B7TL. I took a photo but it appears to be too big to upload. :(

awsnews

Following on from their Tempo Mount's Bay also now have an Irish registered ALX B7TL. I took a photo but it appears to be too big to upload. :(
OXI 630, the Caetano bodied Volvo, is now for sale with the dealer Drew Wilson. As they have been advertising ex Dublin ALXs it would appear to have gone in part exchange.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
I think that's the one I mistakenly took for an ex-Kernow Trident based on a few seconds view of part of the back upstairs window from the dual carriageway outside their garage. Is it painted white? From Ensign's?

Goldfish62

Established Member
I think that's the one I mistakenly took for an ex-Kernow Trident based on a few seconds view of part of the back upstairs window from the dual carriageway outside their garage. Is it painted white? From Ensign's?
Yes, it's white. Looks freshly painted.

83G/84D

Established Member
I heard one was due soon but haven’t been down there for a few days. Thanks for letting us know it’s arrived.

richw

Veteran Member
Mounts bay have also had their operators licence increased to 10 vehicles. Additional contracts I assume?

83G/84D

Established Member
Mounts bay have also had their operators licence increased to 10 vehicles. Additional contracts I assume?

The owners told me a few weeks back that they have got extra schools work starting from next month.

83G/84D

Established Member
OTS have taken over service 442 from Williams Travel. Solo 573 TRL was on the service today. Travel Cornwall have a new livery as well.

Attachments

• IMG_1989-001.JPG
    IMG_1989-001.JPG
    58.5 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_2062rev.jpg
    IMG_2062rev.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:

83G/84D

Established Member
OXI 630, the Caetano bodied Volvo, is now for sale with the dealer Drew Wilson. As they have been advertising ex Dublin ALXs it would appear to have gone in part exchange.

The staff at Mounts Bay coaches told me the B7TL was driven down from Scotland. It hasn't entered service yet as the re-registration process hasn't been completed although the bus is ready for service.

Last edited:

Goldfish62

Established Member
The staff at Mounts Bay coaches told me the B7TL was driven down from Scotland. It hasn't entered service yet as the re-registration process hasn't been completed although the bus is ready for service.
I look forward to seeing it in full livery. Hopefully will be as smart as the Tempo.

richw

Veteran Member
E200 MX10DXO is in Summercourt travels yard. Unusual to see them with a proper bus rather than their normal minibus choices

83G/84D

Established Member
E200 MX10DXO is in Summercourt travels yard. Unusual to see them with a proper bus rather than their normal minibus choices

Saw it today in Regal Busways colour scheme. They also have another which is parked elsewhere.

83G/84D

Established Member
Seen operating in St Ives with St Ives Bus Company this week were E200's YW14 FHS and YY64 GVZ. The former was seen back in the Summer but the latter may be a recent acquisition.

richw

Veteran Member
Seen operating in St Ives with St Ives Bus Company this week were E200's YW14 FHS and YY64 GVZ. The former was seen back in the Summer but the latter may be a recent acquisition.

I passed two red st ives darts heading east at Bodmin in convoy last weekend. Assumed they may be departing

83G/84D

Established Member
I passed two red st ives darts heading east at Bodmin in convoy last weekend. Assumed they may be departing

What looked like a Royal Buses Dart was parked up at Williams compound in Camborne recently although they no longer welcome enthusiasts so I couldn’t be sure.

richw

Veteran Member
What looked like a Royal Buses Dart was parked up at Williams compound in Camborne recently although they no longer welcome enthusiasts so I couldn’t be sure.

Passed a royal buses dart eastbound at zelah today

Status
Not open for further replies.