• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Coronavirus precautions: Has the world gone mad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skimpot flyer

Established Member
Imagine my incredulity when I saw this on the street. There are also some handy lines painted on the pavement so that you know where to line up to cross the road.

View attachment 79706
Image shows pavement with a stenciled diagram showing a crossing person with a 2m gap to a parent holding a childs hand. The gap between them has the text Leave Space Cross Safe 2m.
A friend living in Hove, West Sussex reports that a local park has painted the message ‘maintain 2m distance’ with white paint, and arrows across the width of the path. The left arrow almost touches the wooden fence squirrels like to run along; the right arrow touches the other edge of said path, against the grass beyond. All they need now is a ‘Keep Off The Grass’ notice to make it impossible for two people to pass each other without falling foul of one rule or the other !
If some oik had spray-painted their ‘tag’ in the same spot the council would be moaning about vandalism. The nonsensical message will be there long after the virus has gone, sadly

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Richard Scott

Established Member
There is a new word that has been coined, Coronaphobia. It seems to be coming into common useage.

It's other peoples' coronaphobia and the pandering to it that is bothering me.
Think some of them just have workophobia. People in this country need to get a grip but media and government constantly going on about this virus has led to this situation and, joking apart, know a few people who seem to have this and rational discussion doesn't change their mind. I really don't get how this country ignores a flu epidemic then this comes along (roughly causing twice as many deaths, I'm sure someone will correct me) and it's mass panic. I know it's a big unknown if you get it you're not sure how your body reacts but chances are you'll be fine.

Gadget88

We never seen people go as crazy for Swine flu. I remember people would sanitize that was about all..

BJames

Established Member
Think some of them just have workophobia. People in this country need to get a grip but media and government constantly going on about this virus has led to this situation and, joking apart, know a few people who seem to have this and rational discussion doesn't change their mind. I really don't get how this country ignores a flu epidemic then this comes along (roughly causing twice as many deaths, I'm sure someone will correct me) and it's mass panic. I know it's a big unknown if you get it you're not sure how your body reacts but chances are you'll be fine.
Had one yesterday when I was asking a neighbour if he was looking forward to getting back to work... his response, and I quote, "What for? I'm getting paid to go watch TV all day and go fishing at the weekend." He went on to say how he hoped this goes on for as long as possible. People need to be jolted back into reality by being told they have to go back to work or they lose their jobs. We can't pretend that it's ok for life to just stop for this amount of time, and the mass hysteria has got to start winding back. Guess it goes back to the OP... there are definitely parts of this country that have gone absolutely mad.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Swine flu was nowhere near as deadly.
That didn't stop someone telling me there were plans to drain swimming pools in leisure centres to act as temporary mortuaries during the swine flu outbreak. Clearly that wasn't necessary.

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
There is a new word that has been coined, Coronaphobia. It seems to be coming into common useage.

The governments of both the UK and the devolved administrations (less so N. Ireland) are all suffering from this. The government seem to want to stay in lockdown as they have control over the population, they can be seen to be 'doing a good job' if the death rate falls, and they seem to be insisting on continuing with these endlessly restrictive measures to the point where everything I enjoy in life has either been forbidden completely or altered to a point where it is no longer enjoyable. A society this closed-minded and unable to accept any form of risk to the point where all enjoyment of life is taken away is not one I want to live in and I think this game of 'who can pander to the lockdown enthusiasts most' must stop. It was, in my opinion, completely unacceptable for the government, after allowing cases to climb high when initially pursuing natural herd immunity (which in my opinion was the correct approach) to impose is into an extensive period of statutory house arrest because they are pandering to the public who, with all due respect, do not understand anything about epidemiology, medicine, or economics, and should not be trusted to make decisions on this sort of issue.

What has happened in this country is quite disgusting. Our children and young adults have been robbed of their entitlement to quality education, many business owners and honest, hard workers have lost their jobs, and anything that made life even remotely enjoyable or worth living has been removed and is being threatened to return with restrictions that take the enjoyable aspects away. This is not a society I want to live in, and it's all made worse by the fact that it seems nobody in the cabinet seems to have a clue what they're actually doing and are just taking part in a glorified high school popularity contest with the vocal extremists of the pro-lockdown campaign. It's a national disgrace (I'm not one to say things like that lightly), and we need to get a grip and come down from cloud 9 and face the reality that we are now dealing with. The only way to exit this pandemic now that the elimination strategy is impossible (cases are too high) is to eventually reach herd immunity through either a vaccine or natural immunity, and as there's no sign of a vaccine anytime soon, I'm sure it doesn't take a PhD in Epidemiology to figure out what we're likely going to have to do to prevent economic collapse, which we're facing head-on unless we start changing our approach.

Scotrail12

Some people have gone well and truly mad.

I've just had a conversation with a friend on FB. This guy is 20, had a number of arguments with him about the virus. He doesn't have a job, lives with parents, goes to uni so isn't really having to worry financially at the moment. Very pro lockdown. Hadn't discussed the virus for a while since we disagree so heavily on it but it crept up again in convo tonight.

I found out that he has not left his house once since lockdown started which is approx. 3 months!!! Apparently sees no point to it, views virus as a risk. He lives with some people who are at risk but even my elderly grandparents have went for a walk around the block. I think it's totally insane not to leave your house for that long, especially for someone who is 20.

Is this guy for real? He is also convinced that we will have a deadly 2nd wave (apparently Iran & China are already having one) and we need a 2nd lockdown. "Sacrifices need to be made for the sake of an emergency" according to him, but surely we need to learn to live with the virus? We can't lockdown again for the sake of the economy and people's livelihoods. COVID is NOT the only thing in town. He seems so eager on believing the worst.

Any time I rebutted his claims, he said "this is getting too debate-y". Am I being unreasonable to think this guy is talking complete and utter rubbish and has been totally brainwashed by the media?

Last edited:

Jonny

Established Member
there are various references in these posts to "seats taped off". Does anyone know what Southern are doing and whether there are any measures to control the number of prospective passengers?
As far as I can see from my (allowed) daily exercise every train travelling eastwards from Brighton is almost completely empty.
Probably using the masks rules as an excuse to refuse passengers without them. It is going to be logistically harder and harder to enforce as passenger numbers increase, and that is if the rules are not successfully challenged.

Exactly - the odds are generally quite low if you do catch it, even if you're of pensionable age, if you are generally healthy. I think it is as much about how severe the prior conditions are as well as how many of them.

If there is a vaccine around the corner, as I suspect there is based on this news story:

Coronavirus: AstraZeneca to begin making potential vaccine

Drug company AstraZeneca is to start producing a potential vaccine for coronavirus, its boss has told the BBC.

Trials of the drug are under way but Pascal Soriot said the firm must start making doses now so that it can meet demand if the vaccine proves effective.

"We are starting to manufacture this vaccine right now - and we have to have it ready to be used by the time we have the results," he said.

(article continues, dated 5 June 2020)
Edit: The forum software's own auto-summary has edited in the Bill Gates bit.
Then we will be at the point of having to decide which way to build herd immunity, naturally or by vaccination - and I would not blame anyone else who fel that a vaccine at such short notice was a rushed job and more likely to kill them than the disease.

We never seen people go as crazy for Swine flu. I remember people would sanitize that was about all..
Exactly. Perhaps the left kept quiet because they didn't want the economy to be wrecked just in time for the next election with the left in power (or the centre-ist morass in Germany). Their over-reaction in the case of coronavirus, and subsequent mass brainwashing via the media, is driven by a desire to mess up the right-wing governments in the UK and US, especially since the latter has elections coming up in 2020. There are forces behind the panic even if the outbreak itself was not planned.

Swine flu was nowhere near as deadly.
I think that if we had tested as thoroughly as for the Swine Flu as we did for the coronavirus, it would have been considered to be equally bad or even worse. I don't recall there being mass testing for Swine Flu in Nursing Homes, for instance. There is an agenda is at play; it very likely is not a proper conspiracy but rather someone has decided not to let a good crisis go to waste, especially the US left.

I've just had a conversation with a friend on FB. This guy is 20, had a number of arguments with him about the virus. He doesn't have a job, lives with parents, goes to uni so isn't really having to worry financially at the moment. Very pro lockdown. Hadn't discussed the virus for a while since we disagree so heavily on it but it crept up again in convo tonight.

I found out that he has not left his house once since lockdown started which is approx. 3 months!!! Apparently sees no point to it, views virus as a risk. He lives with some people who are at risk but even my elderly grandparents have went for a walk around the block. I think it's totally insane not to leave your house for that long, especially for someone who is 20.

Is this guy for real? He is also convinced that we will have a deadly 2nd wave (apparently Iran & China are already having one) and we need a 2nd lockdown. "Sacrifices need to be made for the sake of an emergency" according to him, but surely we need to learn to live with the virus? We can't lockdown again for the sake of the economy and people's livelihoods. COVID is NOT the only thing in town. He seems so eager on believing the worst.

Any time I rebutted his claims, he said "this is getting too debate-y". Am I being unreasonable to think this guy is talking complete and utter rubbish and has been totally brainwashed by the media?
I think a lot of people have been brainwashed by the media. I guess your FB friend has tested positive for sheeple; I happen to live with my parents and I am very much against even the concept of lockdown. You should also point out that England has changed to remaining at home overnight (although I guess that you might not be in England). You should ask him what his views are on what to do if/when people decide that the vaccine is a rush job and risky by vaccine standards and therefore refuse; point him to the BBC Article and ask him why a company like AstraZeneca would go ahead unless its candidate was highly likely to be effective. You should also point out that 1. Not all vaccines are even similar, let alone the same and 2. the risk from the vaccine cannot be measured until those vaccinated at the trial stage have been exposed to the virus, and that some time should be allowed to make sure that it does not cause other diseases.

Bantamzen

Established Member

It is becoming increasingly obvious that the majority of locktivists are either people for whom the lockdown has little or even a positive effect (i.e. they are financially sound), or people that, well just don't like other people. The rest frankly are just lapping up the government's "you'll kill people" subliminal messaging. And it does make me laugh when the former group talk about "making sacrifices" when they don't have to make any.

I have one friend who is so incensed by people who refuse to stay indoors and dare walk around in the fresh air without a muzzle that it has literally got to the point where having even a reasoned debate is impossible. No amount of scientific or statistical data will convince her that stepping outside your door without covering your face will not result in deaths of thousands of people, and that actually the risks to healthy people are surprisingly small. At some point in the future people like her are going to once more have to make their own minds up instead of by collymoddled by the government, and think how they are going to successfully re-integrate into society. Otherwise they are going to be in for a horrible shock.

Gadget88

It is becoming increasingly obvious that the majority of locktivists are either people for whom the lockdown has little or even a positive effect (i.e. they are financially sound), or people that, well just don't like other people. The rest frankly are just lapping up the government's "you'll kill people" subliminal messaging. And it does make me laugh when the former group talk about "making sacrifices" when they don't have to make any.

I have one friend who is so incensed by people who refuse to stay indoors and dare walk around in the fresh air without a muzzle that it has literally got to the point where having even a reasoned debate is impossible. No amount of scientific or statistical data will convince her that stepping outside your door without covering your face will not result in deaths of thousands of people, and that actually the risks to healthy people are surprisingly small. At some point in the future people like her are going to once more have to make their own minds up instead of by collymoddled by the government, and think how they are going to successfully re-integrate into society. Otherwise they are going to be in for a horrible shock.
Fear has been the biggest virus. When we send the awful pictures in Italy people went into panic. We built all these new hospitals which have never been used. Deaths in Scotland were only around 4,000. By contrast 50,000 die of flu each year in UK.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

I hate to use the word "snowflake", because it has all sorts of other nasty connotations, usually being used to shut down people who oppose racism etc. But I can barely see a better application for it than the person you describe! :)

Scrotnig

"Sacrifices need to be made"....but by other people, not him!

That's how it is for the majority of lockdown fundamentalists.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Imagine my incredulity when I saw this on the street. There are also some handy lines painted on the pavement so that you know where to line up to cross the road.

View attachment 79706
Image shows pavement with a stenciled diagram showing a crossing person with a 2m gap to a parent holding a childs hand. The gap between them has the text Leave Space Cross Safe 2m.

In 20 years' time, this will be like spotting Network South East or Red Star Parcels logos today....see what Covid-19-related signage stays in place the longest!

talldave

Established Member
In 20 years' time, this will be like spotting Network South East or Red Star Parcels logos today....see what Covid-19-related signage stays in place the longest!
Seeing what remains of the ludicrous excesses of coronaphobia perspex will be similarly interesting!

kylemore

We’re already here - in Sweden, though not with pointy ears.

In the last 24 hours in Stockholm have been on a local ferry - normal, been to the passport office - normal, been to collect some files from an office - normal, been to some shops - normal, been to the pub (sorry) - normal.

The only encouragement being to keep distance where possible, wash or disinfect hands frequently and people not allowed in the pub if there’s nowhere left to sit.

What’s more (going a bit off topic but relevant) the outbreak is curbing itself, with hospitalisations falling since the beginning of May and the death rate also on a notable downward trend.
What a paradise compared to the World of STUPID here!

Jonny

Established Member
"Sacrifices need to be made"....but by other people, not him!

That's how it is for the majority of lockdown fundamentalists.

That is the most jarring thing as well. It is the same in other areas such as the environment; that they say that we should do as they say and not as they do.

Baxenden Bank

Established Member

I've long suffered from Spendophobia, the Coronavirus situation helped my condition by restricting my movements. No holidays, no train or bus trips, no visits to the pub with a take-away on the way home. I was doing even better until B & Q reopened.

adc82140

Established Member
If some people want to stay at home forever then that's none of my business. However forcing their odd lockdown fetish onto others isn't acceptable.

shodkini

Seeing what remains of the ludicrous excesses of coronaphobia perspex will be similarly interesting!

I wonder if the widespread use of perspex inside buildings is creating potential problems due to its flammability - I remember the Summerland fire in the Isle of Man - have we diminished one risk and created another......

Scrotnig

I wonder if the widespread use of perspex inside buildings is creating potential problems due to its flammability - I remember the Summerland fire in the Isle of Man - have we diminished one risk and created another......
As I'm fond of saying, even if we have, nobody will care because NOTHING matters now except the virus.

If people are more likely now to die in blazing infernos - we don't care, because that's not a Covid-19 deaths. Only Covid-19 deaths matter now in the UK.

BJames

Established Member
Some people truly seem to believe that we could live like this until we reach zero cases. Life doesn't work like that and this can't and won't be allowed to happen. This is just another example of people's misunderstanding of the risks of this virus for the vast majority of the population.

Bantamzen

Established Member

Its an interesting point, I hadn't thought of that before. And moreover the perspex screen will be stuff all use if the airflows aren't also considered. You might just end up with areas getting all the rest of the room blown at you.

As I'm fond of saying, even if we have, nobody will care because NOTHING matters now except the virus.

If people are more likely now to die in blazing infernos - we don't care, because that's not a Covid-19 deaths. Only Covid-19 deaths matter now in the UK.

There's another type of death? Surely no?

Seriously though, it won't be long before the ruddy things will be ripped up and thrown onto waste piles to slowly decay, but not before all that extra lovely pollution it took to create them. Yay!

MikeWM

Established Member
Someone jumped back in deep alarm when they turned a corner and saw me just getting to it when I was walking down the road in Ely earlier, and pretty much jumped back about 5 paces while apologising profusely. Weird. But that’s the exception rather than the rule.

Just been to HMV in Norwich. Other than a guy on the door politely offering hand sanitiser (and quite happy for me to use my own instead) it was a fairly normal experience, picking up anything I liked etc. No silly one way systems or anything like that. Which is good, as HMV is pretty much the only shop I care about anyway. I spent a decent amount of money there, which I wouldn’t have done if it had been annoying.

Compare Game, which wasn’t even letting people into their store - you had to tell a guy in a visor what you wanted to buy and he’d fetch it for you (?!)

talldave

Established Member
Someone jumped back in deep alarm when they turned a corner and saw me just getting to it when I was walking down the road in Ely earlier, and pretty much jumped back about 5 paces while apologising profusely. Weird. But that’s the exception rather than the rule.

Just been to HMV in Norwich. Other than a guy on the door politely offering hand sanitiser (and quite happy for me to use my own instead) it was a fairly normal experience, picking up anything I liked etc. No silly one way systems or anything like that. Which is good, as HMV is pretty much the only shop I care about anyway. I spent a decent amount of money there, which I wouldn’t have done if it had been annoying.

Compare Game, which wasn’t even letting people into their store - you had to tell a guy in a visor what you wanted to buy and he’d fetch it for you (?!)
And may they suffer the demise that's undoubtedly coming their way.

MikeWM

Established Member
I also wonder what is so uniquely dangerous about the Apple store that they were *requiring* people to wear masks to go in, which no-one else was. Should I be particularly wary of my iPad from now on? ;)

Journeyman

Established Member
I also wonder what is so uniquely dangerous about the Apple store that they were *requiring* people to wear masks to go in, which no-one else was. Should I be particularly wary of my iPad from now on? ;)

I'm still not able to shop in Scotland, and there probably won't be many shops left by the time I can, but any shop insisting on masks, unless it becomes law, won't get my custom.

Status
Not open for further replies.