Coronavirus.

Discussion in 'Covid-19 (Coronavirus) discussion' started by modernrail, 27 Feb 2020.

1. Islineclear3_1

Islineclear3_1 Established Member

PTSO or platform depending on the weather
    Cheers :)

2. DarloRich

DarloRich Veteran Member

Work - Fenny Stratford(MK) Home - Darlington
    There is a awful lot happening behind the scenes to keep the show on the road.

3. edwin_m

edwin_m Veteran Member

Good if true, but I think we have to err on the side of caution unless and until this is independently verified - there's too much hanging on it to do otherwise.

If it has been around for some time then it's surprising it wasn't noticed earlier, especially when people started dying in China and the authorities here would have been specifically looking for deaths with similar symptoms. Is it possible that a less deadly strain was going round and then mutated? If so then we'd have to be confident that the one confers immunity to the other.

4. Mogster

Mogster Member

Last December an elderly relative of a co-worker was hospitalised with a viral lower respiratory infection that started as a dry cough. The lab were unable to identify the virus and eventually the relative died due to an extended immune response that proved resistant to all treatment.

As you say it’s anecdotal and not data, but yes, it does make you wonder...

5. Xenophon PCDGS

Xenophon PCDGS Veteran Member

There are many engineering companies in Britain with a wide product range and as you just mentioned the "non-urgent" ones, I wonder if you had a specific project in mind.

6. Mogster

Mogster Member

Well he would wouldn’t he, his team wrote the other paper... His reputation is on the line.

Anyway it seems major serological studies are starting to wind up to answer these questions.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...s-for-unseen-coronavirus-spread-idUSKBN2161S4

7. Bletchleyite

Bletchleyite Veteran Member

There are believed to be two known strains around, one more serious than the other. It is quite possible that the less serious one got out first. There are a few articles knocking around on this but I can't find a conclusive enough article to be worth quoting.

8. bussnapperwm

bussnapperwm Member

Can someone explain how someone filling vending machines is a key worker?

9. Bletchleyite

I wouldn't personally have said they were. But perhaps it's because they sell food (albeit of the unhealthy kind).

10. Djgr

Djgr Member

So it could be that half of the population already have immunity and are sitting on their backsides at home for no purpose?

11. hwl

hwl Established Member

Neither are right in my view but we need the antibody testing for a big step forward with the models. More data in both would be useful however.

12. Mogster

Mogster Member

There have been rumours in the media but I don’t think the existence of the “more virulent form of CoV2” has been confirmed.

Different individual CoV2 virus’s will have genetic differences the same way that you and I are genetically different. The genetic differences mostly don’t affect how the virus makes proteins and so the way it functions, the same way people’s genetic differences don’t affect the way they function mostly. The differences do allow scientists to identify when people have contracted similar “strains” and so where and when they may have contracted the virus though which always amazes me.

13. Mogster

Mogster Member

Yep. The economy of the entire world depends on this information... No pressure... :lol:

14. hwl

hwl Established Member

The both papers somewhat have been some what demolished in the guardian this evening, (conclusion we need antibody testing data):

https://www.theguardian.com/science...xposes-the-problems-and-pitfalls-of-modelling

15. Mogster

Mogster Member

The BBC is reporting Ferguson told the select committee this morning

Hmmm

16. Islineclear3_1

Islineclear3_1 Established Member

PTSO or platform depending on the weather
    How does that explain the death of 21 year old Chloe Middleton who had "no underlying health conditions"?

Hmmm

17. Bletchleyite

Erm, that she fell in the other half/third who weren't?

18. FelixtheCat

FelixtheCat Established Member

So that's a minimum of 33% of people who wouldn't have died.

What's your point?

19. JamesT

JamesT Member

He’s the current First Secretary of State, so was Johnson’s de facto deputy anyway.

20. Djgr

Djgr Member

But if it turned out to be true and you were one of the 50% would you be mainly relieved or mainly annoyed?

21. Meole

Meole Member

Thought advice is that second homes are out of bounds ?

22. Kite159

Kite159 Veteran Member

He gets around that advice for it be his third home :lol:

23. Bletchleyite

Unnecessary travel is. I'd suggest that if you were already in a second home at the point of the lockdown starting, staying there would be valid - it's being suggested he was already there, isn't it?

24. JamesT

JamesT Member

Apparently he traveled up on Sunday and was tested on Monday. But it’s also reported that he was displaying mild symptoms over the weekend, in which case surely it would have been better to have stayed where he was and self-isolated rather than waiting for a test?

25. xc170

xc170 Member

Because us key workers are doing long shifts and need food and drink...

26. Peter Kelford

Peter Kelford Member

Builders are being allowed to build so I'd assume so.

Private hospitals?

Theoretically, they should get the youngest member of the cabinet, with the least family obligations and least medical complications into this role.

I thought that at first. Thanks.

27. Mogster

Mogster Member

I’d be very relieved if it meant things could return to normal and there was a rapid way out of this crisis. The global economic fallout of the current situation scares me more than the healthcare aspects.

28. Meerkat

Meerkat Established Member

So two thirds of them would have died this year......but not in the next few weeks, and it's the peak that is the scary bit.

Aside from no one saying it is ONLY a danger for old people are they sure she had no underlying issues, or just no underlying issues that they knew about?

29. Bletchleyite

That's I guess a possibility, unless an autopsy has already been completed (assuming it even will be). It is not at all unusual for people to literally drop dead at running races (particularly very accessible ones like Parkrun) from serious heart conditions that they never knew they had. And I suspect I wouldn't even know I had asthma if I wasn't a runner, it's the only thing that's high-intensity enough to cause an issue, even cycling doesn't.

30. Bayum

Bayum Established Member

Yeah, the infection itself doesn’t cause the problems, more how the body reacts to it. My understanding is that ARDS is the immune system going haywire. Body recognises the infection and seeks to get rid - raises temperature, invokes other symptoms - muscle aches etc. In the lungs themselves, the alveoli are filling with fluid causing the ground glass opacities on the CT scans, but this isn’t enough. The body goes on another onslaught causing a cytokine storm, where the immune system just goes crazy. Tocilizumab is an anti-IL6 molecule and so reduces a significant portion of the immune process happening.