• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Could Grand Union Trains proposed London Euston to Stirling service be viable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
If I was ORR I would grant the rights from Stirling to Carlisle, on condition that the trains run for at least 10 years. That should be enough to stop any more proposals.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Class 170101

Established Member
If I was ORR I would grant the rights from Stirling to Carlisle, on condition that the trains run for at least 10 years. That should be enough to stop any more proposals.

As much as I see your point I have to disagree as it prevents viable services over said section of line or part thereof. For example Liverpool or Manchester to Glasgow or Edinburgh which I think we can agree may be of more value than the Open Access Proposal.

It should be said there is probably a small market for links between Central North Scotland and Central South Scotland / NW England but I would say as part of a franchise as proposed by First in 2012 rather than a standalone franchise.

hexagon789

Veteran Member

Yes, I think we need more of this kind of thing and to scrap the stupid revenue abstraction rules - then we can have some actual competition rather than this namby-pamby 'you can run another service but only if you call at these stations so you don't nick the bigwigs money' nonsense.

I wish Grand Union well with this but I think 9-coaches is a bit much. Seven as with Blackpool would suffice.

MarkWiles

Can't see how a service timed at 110mph with several stops will raid ORCATS from Carlisle and Preston, or doesn't ORCATS still favour the fastest journeys between points in terms of revenue allocation?

DanNCL

Established Member
I strongly suspect that this latest proposal from them, along with the Cardiff and Southampton proposals, rather than being serious proposals are attempts to get stations included in their applications a better service to/from London. For the Cardiff services I wouldn't be surprised if the sole purpose of putting in the application is an attempt to get GWR London services to call at Severn Tunnel Junction rather than it being a serious proposal, and for this I wouldn't be surprised if the aim was to get a more frequent London service at Stirling rather than a serious proposal to actually operate such a service themselves. Of course I could be wrong, but that's the impression I'm getting from these various open access applications from Grand Union Trains and Alliance Rail.

Starmill

Veteran Member
The TPE services are hardly full to bursting
In what sense? Have I imagined all the times I've travelled on them when they've been full and standing? In 2016 the 1800 from Manchester Airport was booked 8 cars on Fridays and would always be all seats taken leaving Preston

hexagon789

Veteran Member
I strongly suspect that this latest proposal from them, along with the Cardiff and Southampton proposals, rather than being serious proposals are attempts to get stations included in their applications a better service to/from London. For the Cardiff services I wouldn't be surprised if the sole purpose of putting in the application is an attempt to get GWR London services to call at Severn Tunnel Junction rather than it being a serious proposal, and for this I wouldn't be surprised if the aim was to get a more frequent London service at Stirling rather than a serious proposal to actually operate such a service themselves. Of course I could be wrong, but that's the impression I'm getting from these various open access applications from Grand Union Trains and Alliance Rail.

It may well be the case, but if the side effect of these applications is an improved London service at many secondary stations on main routes or at stations on lesser served routes from London, that can't be a bad thing.

Certainly Stirling deserves a few more London services.

gingerheid

Established Member
Stirling to Carlisle (and London) 3 or 4 times a day? If it was something with two carriages going as far as Motherwell I could maybe see it working. :D

gingerheid

Established Member
I meant as far as Motherwell from Stirling, not London!

Really though. I like a direct service as much as anyone and more than some, but the way to give Stirling a link to the WCML is either to have regular WCML trains to Edinburgh or to extend the Milngavie - Cumbernauld service to Stirling, not a modern day Clansman!

We should have a new trivia thread. Biggest town that Grand Union hasn't proposed a service to.

The Ham

Established Member
I meant as far as Motherwell from Stirling, not London!

Really though. I like a direct service as much as anyone and more than some, but the way to give Stirling a link to the WCML is either to have regular WCML trains to Edinburgh or to extend the Milngavie - Cumbernauld service to Stirling, not a modern day Clansman!

We should have a new trivia thread. Biggest town that Grand Union hasn't proposed a service to.

There's also a fairly strong contender for a thread for smallest settlement which has been proposed to serve.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
In what sense? Have I imagined all the times I've travelled on them when they've been full and standing? In 2016 the 1800 from Manchester Airport was booked 8 cars on Fridays and would always be all seats taken leaving Preston

Well obviously some of the trains are busy, and Friday pm is an obviously busy time. I’d be willing to bet that the first southbound train each morning isn’t full and standing though.

Esker-pades

Established Member
I would have thought that there would be a significant demand for travel from the growing population in central Scotland to places on the WCML.
BTW, about 50 years ago the 12.00 from Glasgow was joined at Carstairs by a portion from Perth - the only train to call at Coatbridge Sunnyside, I think.
Coatbridge Central, surely? Sunnyside is on the North Clyde Line.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Question:
When does "revenue abstraction" become "healthy competition"?

There's some analysis of this on the ORR site for the Alliance application for Blackpool services, but the upshot was it only just scraped through the qualification.
I imagine this application is a bit of a test of the updated open access rules, and the commercial framework of the new WC franchise.
It also impinges on HS2 planning for the northern WCML.
OA operators are now supposed to pay a share of the underlying costs of the route, rather than just the incremental costs of their services.
We don't know what the commercial terms are for First Trenitalia yet, or what OA assumptions might have been anticipated in the bid.
The WCML already has an "alternate operator" on its whole length apart from Crewe-Warrington-Wigan, though FT is now in the same camp as TPE.
It looks as though Alliance want a full hourly path from Preston to London, shared between Blackpool/Stirling services.
You wouldn't think a 9-car IC225 solution would work north of Preston.
5-car EMUs doubling up south of Preston would be a better fit, or even repurposed 350/2s.

HLE

Established Member
Insert standard not gonna happen statement here.

The grand question I have is will any of these companies actually ever run a service? All it seems to be is applications. Is the fee too low for these applications because to me all its doing is wasting time.

Aictos

Established Member
You wouldn't think a 9-car IC225 solution would work north of Preston.
5-car EMUs doubling up south of Preston would be a better fit, or even repurposed 350/2s.

The Class 350/2s refurbished to Class 350/3 or Class 350/4 interiors would be a good fit especially as they can operate at 110mph which would help with pathing.

trebor79

Established Member
What would be the motivation for doing that? It's not going to benefit the company making the application at all?

d9009alycidon

For the record, the daytime services through Coatbridge Central just prior to electrification was a Perth to Carstairs mid-morning service, a Carlisle to Perth afternoon service that went through about 3pm and the famous 1S81 20:50 Carlisle to Perth evening service, thre was at least one Sleeper in each direction as well. After electrification the morning service was discontinued and the Clansman called in each direction.

RealTrains07

Established Member
Blackpool coming Spring 2020. And First Group’s plans for a second hourly service to Liverpool has probably killed Virgin’s plans off. Stirling may have some new market but again First Groups plans to increase stops at Motherwell and Milton Keynes may have meant some significant abstraction.
Wouldn’t be surprised if First second liverpool service was because of virgins plans. Their are other services that need more trains not liverpool. That path could surely be put to better use?

If blackpool to london is possible with the current amount of trains on the WCML then surely their the arguments that their is space is just all about how the service is timetabled. Surely direct services to london from places like Stirling are more of a priority than extra services to motherwell? Does it have demand?

d9009alycidon

The proposal might have just been workable had they opted for a Stirling to Carlisle service using something a little shorter, it also would also cause less congestion by going via Holytown and Wishaw, this cutting out the bottleneck at Motherwell. by using short formed HSTs Scotrail style they could also extend to Perth

ScotsRail

If this is terminating/starting from Stirling then it would surely have to be based out of the terminating platform at the far side of the station.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Their are other services that need more trains not liverpool. That path could surely be put to better use?

No better use than making Liverpool twice hourly. Birmingham and Manchester are already 3 trains an hour, Glasgow is 1 or 2.

Liverpool is next in line for improvements as I see it.

Roose

Can't see how a service timed at 110mph with several stops will raid ORCATS from Carlisle and Preston, or doesn't ORCATS still favour the fastest journeys between points in terms of revenue allocation?
People from Carlisle and Preston use the Birmingham services to Euston to benefit from cheaper fares than on the direct route; they may do the same if fares on a GU service are below the usual market price.

Status
Not open for further replies.