• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Count Down Board?

Status
Not open for further replies.

reb0118

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Today's challenge: what is this count down board for?

Attachments

• 15858116801542659961158261440522.jpg
    15858116801542659961158261440522.jpg
    952.6 KB · Views: 175
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Tomnick

Established Member
If I’m not mistaken, it’s not a countdown marker at all - it’s a ‘loop clear’ marker on an RETB line?

reb0118

Established Member
Fares Advisor
If I’m not mistaken, it’s not a countdown marker at all - it’s a ‘loop clear’ marker on an RETB line?
That's my understanding too. However there are subtle differences in the presentation compared to other images of loop clear markers.

NB I'm asking for a friend.

Do you mean a station limits board?
Its been a while since Ive seen one but I think the board is basically the same but the lines drop left to right.

Its blue so its not a countdown board either, or not one I remember.
With it having 3 bands I would say its for reminding the driver that the second countdown board is next.

In all seriousness though countdown boards can be used to count to anything, signals, crossings, switches even.

scotraildriver

Established Member
Do you mean a station limits board?
Its been a while since Ive seen one but I think the board is basically the same but the lines drop left to right.

Its blue so its not a countdown board either, or not one I remember.
With it having 3 bands I would say its for reminding the driver that the second countdown board is next.

In all seriousness though countdown boards can be used to count to anything, signals, crossings, switches even.

A station limits board and loop clear marker are the same thing. If you are continuing into section you tell the signaller you have passed the loop clear marker board. If you are shunting then it becomes the station limits board. The one above is a 300yds to the PSI board. It is followed by one with 2 stripes then a single one.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
They are yellow and black

Signal ahead countdown boards are white and red.
There's a run of signal countdown boards on the approach to Dewsbury in the Up direction. I'd always wondered what circumstances require them on the railway as they aren't found everywhere. Presumably they're used to assist drivers in places where the chances of a SPAD or missed-call is deemed to be more likely?

Llama

Established Member
Those are countdown boards to Batley no.8 signal which is an ex-multi spad signal.

Status
Not open for further replies.