• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Coventry - Nuneaton Improvements Delayed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

The Planner

Veteran Member
Id expect to see this one slowly die unless they can get the cash together soon.

mattyb1405

The council seem more interested in selling their share of the Ricoh Arena and the surrounding land for redevelopment with alleged interested parties.

I suppose this could all be part of a greater plan of which they may be aware i.e may be trying to get that investor to put money towards the infrastructure.

Access in that area of the city is less than ideal in general and considerably worse when there is an event on. If this station was in place for the olympics it may have been more tempting for visitors to come to it rather than bus from the main station, likewise if they are serious about bidding for the Rugby World Cup a station could be a good selling point, if I remember correctly the Arena is up against Villa Park as a potential midlands venue.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
The council seem more interested in selling their share of the Ricoh Arena and the surrounding land for redevelopment with alleged interested parties.

I suppose this could all be part of a greater plan of which they may be aware i.e may be trying to get that investor to put money towards the infrastructure.

Access in that area of the city is less than ideal in general and considerably worse when there is an event on. If this station was in place for the olympics it may have been more tempting for visitors to come to it rather than bus from the main station, likewise if they are serious about bidding for the Rugby World Cup a station could be a good selling point, if I remember correctly the Arena is up against Villa Park as a potential midlands venue.

why? - getting the bus from the central station to the ground seemed to work well for us when we went to the Olympics there. I bet it ran better than a 153 chugging back and forth would have done.

mattyb1405

why? - getting the bus from the central station to the ground seemed to work well for us when we went to the Olympics there. I bet it ran better than a 153 chugging back and forth would have done.

It's more than just special events though isn't it and my comment wasn't relating purely to those at the Ricoh Arena, but, somehow it just seems wrong that it wasn't built when that area of the city was being developed, the Arena was supposed to have a green transport plan as such there is limited car parking spaces. Has it stopped people driving - no probably not, would a station stop people driving - no probably not. I'm not even going to pretend I know how much it costs to put in a station, but providing one for this area of the city is probably not the largest piece of expenditure on the project whereby they plan to introduce a bay platform at Coventry to assist in increasing the number of services. Additionally nothing states, particularly for events that an additional service has to originate from Coventry - it could equally be from Nuneaton where I am guessing there are less platform space issues. The line is there, I am guessing it is not even a stones throw away - the 153 passes - it just doesn't stop !

With regards to the Olympics, what they did at Coventry station when I passed through seemed very efficient and impressive, am guessing with lots of input from volunteer 'games makers' - who would probably not be there normally. Car parking and drop off points were altered as well throughout the period of the games.

ivanhoe

The decision to cull the underpass from the Leicester line to Platform 1 at Nuneaton, has meant that the current service is going to always be no more than a Cinderella service. There were talks back then of Central going Leicester to Leamington, or beyond. But the greater good of the West Coast Main Line has to be admired. More winners than losers here . Shame but understandable.

Cherry_Picker

Established Member
Football is only a part of everything that goes on at the Ricoh though. It's a very busy retail park and there are all manner of non football events at the stadium. Muse are playing there next week and Springsteen is playing there next month. I'd imagine both of those events will pull crowds of 40,000 (the music capacity of the arena is much higher than the football capacity) and they could certainly use a train service if the arena wants to continue to put on events of that size.
Obviously it would have been better if the team get their situation sorted and it would have been even better still if the station had been ready the day the Ricoh opened, but I'm not sure the current woes of Coventry City FC will stop the scheme from happening.

Last edited:

Darren R

Established Member
Football is only a part of everything that goes on at the Ricoh though. It's a very busy retail park and there are all manner of non football events at the stadium. Obviously it would have been better if the team get their situation sorted and it would have been even better still if the station had been ready the day the Ricoh opened, but I'm not sure the current woes of Coventry City FC will stop the scheme from happening.

But as one of the comments attached to the newspaper article says - "who goes to Tesco on the train?" Wasn't the whole purpose of the proposed new station to cater for the match-day crowds?

The Planner

Veteran Member
but I'm not sure the current woes of Coventry City FC will stop the scheme from happening.
No, but the fact that Cov council cant afford it probably will....

Eagle

Established Member
Wasn't the whole purpose of the proposed new station to cater for the match-day crowds?

It was to cater for any stadium crowds, not just football-related ones.

Also I could imagine people from the area of Coventry station using the train to go to the retail park in preference to the bus, as it'll be a lot quicker and exactly the same price (hooray for PTE fares). Although the frequency wouldn't be as good as the buses.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
Also Coventry City is currently rumored to be under a takeover bid. As part of this the new owner is to buy 50% of the Richoh arena. So they may well play there again. Just the current man in charge says they won't, so they won't while he is in charge. Things do change.

This may have now taken a back seat considering the stadium is currently on fire.

(Note: It's only Muse rehearsing really. Got a few going on twitter though, including myself for a while. :D)

Status
Not open for further replies.