• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Covid restrictions abroad: updates & observations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Howardh

Established Member
All this is very confusing;

On a Spanish tourism forum one traveller to Alicante said there was no checking of forms at the airport, just scanning your (NHS) QR code

The Jet2 site suggests that the locator form is still necessary which appears now to be out of date now??

However, the truth is out there somewhere and I think it's this - The Spanish gov site suggests the following which makes me think this (new?) form is the locator waiver in effect https://www.spth.gob.es If you have an EU COVID Digital Certificate (DCC) or EU Equivalent, click here to access
In order to enter Spain, all passengers, regardless of the country of origin (except children under the age of 12 and passengers in international transit), must show one of these documents:

• An EU DIGITAL COVID CERTIFICATE OR EU EQUIVALENT of COVID-19 vaccination or a negative certificate of an active infection diagnostic test or a recovery certificate after having this disease.
  • SpTH QR. If you do not have the EU Digital COVID Certificate or equivalent, you must complete the SpTH Health Control Form, manually entering the details of your vaccination, recovery or diagnostic test certificate.
The vaccination certificate with complete schedule for children under 18 has no expiry date.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

P Binnersley

Jet2 seem to have updated their website. The passenger locator locator form is only needed if you are not fully vaccinated. Spain accepts UK digital Covid vaccination certificates.
Please note, travel requirements are in line with the destination's government guidance, as well as FCDO advice, correct at 07 April 2022, 16.17.

https://www.jet2.com/en/flights/safe-travel/travel-requirements/mainland-spain

Cdd89

Established Member
Tediously, the federal ruling on the US mask mandate is set to be appealed.

I think it would be political suicide to reintroduce masks (even if successful), given how popular their removal was; so I assume this is aimed at ensuring they can be mandated in the future if things change.

Berliner

It's amazing the US government can introduce nation wide mask mandates on a whim and with immediate effect...but cannot do anything about guns.

Cdd89

Established Member
Per the CDC’s statement today:

It is CDC’s continuing assessment that at this time an order requiring masking in the indoor transportation corridor remains necessary for the public health.

CDC’s number one priority is protecting the public health of our nation. As we have said before, wearing masks is most beneficial in crowded or poorly ventilated locations, such as the transportation corridor. When people wear a well-fitting mask or respirator over their nose and mouth in indoor travel or public transportation settings, they protect themselves, and those around them, including those who are immunocompromised or not yet vaccine-eligible.

The bolded section is highly disingenuous. It is typical of the emotional nonsense used to guilt-trip people into a permanent change to their way of life; underplaying the effectiveness of vaccines to the immunocompromised, and exaggerating the risk to kids. It’s as though they’ve read too many activist Twitter threads. The other key phrase is “well-fitting mask or respirator”; most of those who would be unmasked in the US are in fact wearing flimsy bits of loose-fitting cloth.

The administration has cornered itself by promising to “follow the science”, and defining this as “do whatever the CDC says”. The CDC’s focus is singular (protecting public health), whereas politicians should have a wider focus; and since masking will always be ‘safer’ than not masking, it’s hard to see the CDC’s off-ramp apart from temporarily when case rates are low.

Jamiescott1

Howardh

Established Member
I went to Spain last week. Both the fco website and spanish government website said that forms weren't needed but on checkin Easyjet insisted it was.
It wasn't, they accept nhs covid passes
My next trip to Spain (Ibiza) is June; so things could have changed again by then. However I'm using Easyjet to go to Jersey next month and - masks on the plane aside - there is no covid protocol whatseover going there..... unless Easyjet have opther ideas?!
From Monday 7 February, all requirements under the Safer Travel Policy will be suspended.

Any passengers arriving on or after 7 February:

• do not need to complete pre-travel registration
  • do not need to undergo testing or isolate on arrival

Last edited:

island

Veteran Member
Unfortunately most of the publicly controlled transport operators in New York (MTA, Port Authority, LIRR) are keeping a mask mandate in place, citing state health officials' guidance and the fact they're waiting to see whether the federal government appeals. A mask mandate was also reintroduced on Monday in all indoor spaces in Philadelphia "due to a rise in cases".

This really demonstrates the nakedly political nature of the mandates. That said, Biden has stated that people are now free to choose whether to wear a mask, which gives me the impression the federal government won't reintroduce the mandate, even if they appeal and are successful. Now just the stupid air travel testing rule to go...

Tediously, the federal ruling on the US mask mandate is set to be appealed.

I think it would be political suicide to reintroduce masks (even if successful), given how popular their removal was; so I assume this is aimed at ensuring they can be mandated in the future if things change.

The 11th circuit is of similar political value to the Tampa judge who made the initial ruling, so I suspect an appeal won't get anywhere. As the mandate was due to expire 3 May, by the time it gets heard it'll be apt to be dismissed for being moot.

Left-leaning forums such as the comments sections of sites like Ars Technica are getting their knickers in a twist. That site's forum allows "downvoting" and hides posts once they've a net score below about -20, so it is a total echo chamber that has chosen not to realise there are other opinions in the world.

Separately, for my upcoming trip to Dublin I have voted with my wallet for British Airways over Aer Lingus and Ryanair.

kristiang85

Established Member
It's amazing the US government can introduce nation wide mask mandates on a whim and with immediate effect...but cannot do anything about guns.

Masks aren't entrenched in the constitution, though I'm sure there will be some calling for an amendment to make it so!! :D

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
I went to Spain last week. Both the fco website and spanish government website said that forms weren't needed but on checkin Easyjet insisted it was.
It wasn't, they accept nhs covid passes
Just to echo this is exactly correct. I am in Spain right now. Your NHS covid pass is perfectly acceptable and no landing card needs to be completed.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
The right to bear arms (which is hideously badly defined!) is a constitutional right in the US. Going about your business without wearing a mask isn't. So obviously it's much harder to introduce restrictions on the former than the latter.

Yew

Established Member
The right to bear arms (which is hideously badly defined!) is a constitutional right in the US. Going about your business without wearing a mask isn't. So obviously it's much harder to introduce restrictions on the former than the latter.
What about wearing masks as part of a well organised militia, as necessary for the defence of the state? :D

Butts

Veteran Member
Currently sipping Pink Champagne in the BA 1st Class Lounge at LHR T3 awaiting a flight to Nuremberg.

Started in EDI this morning and it was great not having to wear a mask in the Airport or Onboard on my flight down.

A few diehards about but most people have ditched them.

Hopefully the German Leg will be mask less but expecting to don one on arrival :E

duncanp

Established Member
There are some people who are really paranoid about catching COVID.

This is from a recent thread on Trip Advisor

I have to be in London soon and while I'll be using my Boots dual defense nasal spray I shall plan food stocks and medicines on the basis that I'll come back with covid.

You can just as easily catch COVID in your home town or city as you can by travelling, either domestically or abroad.

If people want to lock themselves down, wear masks, or socially distance, on a voluntary basis, I have no objection to that.

It is when they expect the rest of the population to follow suit just to assuage their misplaced fears that I have a problem.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I'm in Sicily now; we got away with wearing cloth masks nearly all the time. We were asked to wear FFP2s only twice; once to board the plane (at Gatwick) and again on one of the trains here in Sicily so far.

The mask mandates were least observed on the Circumetna trains, while even on other trains on plenty of occasions many noses were exposed as well as plenty of non-FFP2 masks being worn. Despite this, apart from one Guard, no-one has told anyone to wear FFP2s or cover their noses.

Amusingly a customer entered Lidl wearing a bandana and was pulled up for this and sold a non-compliant packet of surgical masks. Their bandana would have been no less ineffective than our cloth masks of course. It shows how arbitrary and non-sensical this all is.

We also had to present NHS vaccine QR codes when eating out on one of the three occasions so far.

Butts

Veteran Member
Currently sipping Pink Champagne in the BA 1st Class Lounge at LHR T3 awaiting a flight to Nuremberg.

Started in EDI this morning and it was great not having to wear a mask in the Airport or Onboard on my flight down.

A few diehards about but most people have ditched them.

Hopefully the German Leg will be mask less but expecting to don one on arrival :E

Had to wear a mask from LHR to Nuremberg on BA but they were not enforcing it to closely.

No vaccine status check on arrival or checking into the Hotel which is different from Munich last month.

Masks still nigh on 100% on U Bahn :E

Had to wear a mask from LHR to Nuremberg on BA but they were not enforcing it to closely.

No vaccine status check on arrival or checking into the Hotel which is different from Munich last month.

Masks still nigh on 100% on U Bahn :E

Ludicrous situation on the way back and outward as it turns out.

According to the BA Website you don't have to wear a mask travelling to and from Germany but you do have to wear one in the Terminal.

Well this is wrong on both counts as they are not required at Heathrow or Nuremberg.

Doubly annoying they are asking for masks on both flights in contradiction of their own policy.

I challenged the "Head Honcho" on the way back as an announcement to wear them was actually made (unlike on the way out) and he insisted " I cannot force you to wear one but it is a condition of carriage"

He wouldn't look on the website and I didn't wear one with no repercussions.

Have put a complaint in :E

Last edited:

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I believe Germany still does require masks; they are one of the most pro-mask (i.e. vaccine effectiveness denying) countries in Europe.

All you really need to do is put the mask on for boarding (some airlines require this as your ticket is checked, others on entering the plane) and as soon as food & drink is being served you can simply have a drink to hand at all times until preparation for landing.

Many airports have water fountains, so it doesn't need to be expensive to ensure you are constantly drinking.

Airlines like BA are not interested in enforcing anything but simply need to be 'seen' to be doing 'something' by the relevant authoritarian authorities, and providing you are seen to be going along with it, there won't be a problem.

Some countries require FFP2 masks; I am in Italy now was only made to wear one when boarding the plane and on a couple of trains (though on those trains, I was drinking water for most of the journey). I have an FFP2 to board the return flight but will switch to my comfortable breathable cloth mask once I am seated. By appearing to go along with the rules imposed by those who deny the effectiveness of vaccines I avoid hassle but am not too inconvenienced.

I don't think your complaint will get very far but I guess the more people who give negative feedback regarding masks, the more likely airlines are to get rid of the rules as soon as they legally can.

Ryanair and easyJet both asked me for feedback so I completed the form while mentioning masks were a negative in an otherwise positive experience.

Butts

Veteran Member
Quite honestly it's a mess.

If you look on Flyer Talk there seems to be no consistency with Flights to Munich Nuremberg and Berlin with BA all getting different treatment at seemingly the whim of the crew.

On BA's website it clearly states in the list of Countries no mask required in either direction on German Flights.

It also says they are required in Airports which is certainly not true in the UK and not in Nuremberg last night.

Might get an avios boost. :E

Been waiting 7 weeks for a Dusseldorf Hol Refund / 261 and expenses from the IT meltdown in late February.

Mainline421

The situation in Italy isn't looking good https://www.thelocal.it/20220425/italy-plans-to-extend-mask-mandate-in-some-indoor-venues/
They are no longer a requirement in most outdoor public areas, but wearing protective face masks remains compulsory indoors until April 30th, according to a decree issued in March... As a new decree is expected in the coming days, masks will reportedly continue to be compulsory in public offices, on transport and in places of entertainment, according to Italian media reports. That includes buses, subways and trams, where Ffp2 masks could remain in place, and the same may be required on planes, trains and ships.

“On masks at school I have always been a little more flexible. I see more worrying situations with adults than with children,” said deputy health minister Pierpaolo Sileri. He added that he was “100 percent convinced that in June and July we will be without masks”.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor

scarby

Greece is to drop the rule for face masks in indoor settings from June 1. I don't know if this applies to transport.

I certainly won't be going anywhere that requires masks this summer; I find just the sight of them very dystopian, just seeing them being worn on travel reports on YouTube is bad enough.

Bikeman78

Established Member
Greece is to drop the rule for face masks in indoor settings from June 1. I don't know if this applies to transport.

I certainly won't be going anywhere that requires masks this summer; I find just the sight of them very dystopian, just seeing them being worn on travel reports on YouTube is bad enough.
England and Wales are great now. Not many masks or references to them. I don't understand why some countries persist with them. What are they waiting for?

kristiang85

Established Member
Unfortunately the mandate, and in particular the onerous requirement to wear FFP2 masks, is enforced fairly strongly. I'll believe the Deputy Health Minister when I see that the mandate has actually been lifted!

It had better be done by September. Just booked tickets for F1 at Monza.

westv

Established Member

I'm glad we decided to move our holiday from Greece in May to Spain in October.

LAX54

Established Member
England and Wales are great now. Not many masks or references to them. I don't understand why some countries persist with them. What are they waiting for?
Meanwhile it looks like China is in a downward spiral !

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
It had better be done by September. Just booked tickets for F1 at Monza.
The indoor mandate is supposedly ending at the start of May, but there will inevitably be an 'exception' for public transport. Because, of course, the virus knows when you're on a train... :rolleyes:

So with a bit of luck you shouldn't have to wear anything at the F1, but I would bank on having to wear an FFP2 mask if you fly there or take the train.

kristiang85

Established Member
The indoor mandate is supposedly ending at the start of May, but there will inevitably be an 'exception' for public transport. Because, of course, the virus knows when you're on a train... :rolleyes:

So with a bit of luck you shouldn't have to wear anything at the F1, but I would bank on having to wear an FFP2 mask if you fly there or take the train.

The crazy thing is that the mask rules in Italy are currently more strict now than when I went to Milan in August 2020 pre-vaccines and pre-weaker variants...

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
The crazy thing is that the mask rules in Italy are currently more strict now than when I went to Milan in August 2020 pre-vaccines and pre-weaker variants...
Indeed. I suppose they were badly affected early on in the pandemic and have had utterly excessive restrictions ever since.

Indeed. I suppose they were badly affected early on in the pandemic and have had utterly excessive restrictions ever since.

Italy got hit hard and early with covid, particularly in the north around Lombardy. They had a pretty torrid time of it and I think that has influenced their approach since as they were determined to avoid a return to that situation.
We have friends in Lodi, just outside Milan, which was pretty much Ground Zero for Covid in Italy - they had a horrific time in the first wave with a very high death rate. It's quite understandable why they are cautious.

Status
Not open for further replies.